Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Thoughts on Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on Problem

I was going to take my car in about this while it's still under warranty, but I was looking for some thoughts on what you think it might be before I give the techs the go-ahead to rip my car apart.

For the last while I've noticed a swishing/squeaking noise (it's hard to describe) whenever I upshift. I've tried to get the car to do it on the downshift but I've never once heard it make the noise, regardless if I rev match, or even tried slipping the clutch out a couple of times. The other day since the weather was nice I decided to blow the car out a bit and now I've noticed it when I reach the higher RPMs. The best explanation I can give is a squeaking/swishing noise only once the clutch is fully engaged...I don't believe it's slipping because I'm not reaching higher RPMs at lower speeds than previously...so I'm completely stumped.

So to summarize I only hear it at the following times:

- upshifting, sometimes (rarely) when launching in first gear but VERY rarely
- when I reach higher RPMs, around 4000 -> 4500, doesn't matter how hard I'm on the gas

Any thoughts would be appreciated...I hate the thought of taking the car in and having some techs rip my clutch/tranny apart and it ends up being something totally different. It does sound to be coming from the front of the car though...perhaps closer to the front passenger side. I tried having a buddy record it for me but the sound didn't come through clearly and was pretty garbled.

Thanks

EDIT:
I apologize in advance if there's already been a thread on this, but searching for "swish" turned up next to nothing (I really don't think it's a rotor) and squeak turned up way too much to sift through
Old 04-24-2007, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Searching online, about the only thing I came up with which is anywhere remotely close to my problem is this:

"Clutch noise that occurs only while the clutch is engaged (pedal up) may indicate excessive play between the splines on the clutch disc hub and input shaft, a damaged center damper in the clutch disc hub or misalignment between the engine and transaxle."

My friend and I came to the conclusion last night the sound is almost a squeal but not high-pitched. Anyways, can anyone provide input to the above...I think I have a good idea what this means but could any of the above cause a squealing sound like I'm hearing?