Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Hvac Vent Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hvac Vent Issue

So a few days ago my hvac system stopped letting a decent amount of air through the two vents in the middle of the car. They have always had a decent amount of air that came out of them. And the two vents on the outside had fairly less air flow out of them. For what ever strange reason it is the total opposite now. My two middle vents let out very little air. And the two outside vents let out a lot of air now.

What could be causing an issue like that ? I have never had to work on an Hvac issue. So I don't even know where to start or where the issue could even be at or caused by ? But there is deffinitly something causing it I would say. All other settings on the selector work just fine. And there is good heat and a/c from the car. My vents just decided to flip which ones where stronger . And I want to switch it back ! Does anyone have any idea what could cause this and or where to start to look at ?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Have you replaced the cabin air filter lately?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
Have you replaced the cabin air filter lately?

I took it out yesterday and tried the vents with it out to see if there was any difference. It didn't fix the lack of air flow through the two middle vents. Its almost like they are mostly blocked off ? If that is even possible ? I don't know how our hvac's work at all.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:58 AM

Anyone have any experience with our Hvacs at all ? Or where I might even start to look for a starting point ?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sub'd cause after I read this, I noticed it in my car as well. Even on full blast and JUST the top vents selected the middle ones don't seem to be pushing out air like the others do.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:29 PM

I have the same problem. I haven't had a chance to take apart my dash as of yet but i believe the motor that controls the flaps is done.

I believe its this part

GMPartsDirect.com - Find a Item
Old 04-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
^yeah its probly gonna be the flap doors/motor, my friends jeep had that issue so we had to remove the entire dashboard to get to them what a pain in the ass that was
Old 04-24-2014, 11:01 AM

From what I have gathered to talking to a few different gm techs. It more then likely is the mode acutaor that is binding up or has stripped gears internally. Thankfully they are fairly cheap. About $40. And very easy to get to and replace. They are behind the drivers side kick panel. Just pulling off. And the two of them are right there. Easy to get to for the most part. The funny thing is with mine that I noticed last night. If I turn my mode selector to panel vents and windshield a few times. All the vents seem work fine. Bit if you only doing the once. Only the outside ones work. So i have a feeling my mode actuator is just stiff and a bit seized and or dry internally. So I guess since I figure out which one is the mode actuator and which one is the heat blend actuator I will just replace the mode actuator.