Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Ignition Cylinder goes out at 7700 miles!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Cylinder goes out at 7700 miles!!!!!

Probably the maddest I've ever been. The check engine light comes on as I'm driving the car. My boyfriend works at a chevrolet dealership and works on these cars all the time, and he said it was probably nothing.. and just to take it in when i get the chance just to make sure. This happens on a Saturday, the dealership is closed already and they are closed on Sundays, so I was going to take it in on Monday and have it checked out. Sunday comes along and I go to put gas in it, it's fine, but the check engine light is still on. I put gas in the car, get back in and go to start it& the key won't turn in the igniton at all. It was like the whole column was locked up. Wheels won't turn, anything. This all happens at around 5:30, by the time the tow truck comes and the car gets back to the dealer it's after 9!!! Stupid people! So I call them on Monday, and they find out that it's the ignition cylinder that went bad, problem is, GM doesn't have the parts for it and only 4 dealers in the US did. So they had to get the part and I didn't have my car for like 5 days. I finally got it back yesterday!

Has anyone else had this happen to them, and if so do you know what caused it, or if it was just one of those freak things?

PS, if you have to get your car towed, make sure you tell them not to use a tilt bed truck, as the car sits too damn low to the ground to get up on the bed. found that one out the hard way..
Old 12-16-2005, 09:46 PM

well my ignition problem wasn't the same as yours but....I went to start my car and it wouldn't start in the driveway. It was very low on gas so I thought it was the gas and let it coast out of the driveway and tried to start it when it was on level ground. When I tried to start it now it was very, very rough and when I pressed on the gas the engine would rev but the car would barely move, then the engine was shaking and running really rough so I cut it off and called the dealer immediately. They came and towed it and found out it was my ignition coil that went bad. But this is 1 of 3 problems I have had thus far...the check engine light is on again so back she goes to the shop tomorrow for the 4th time.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:01 PM

I have went to start my car on 2 different occasions , the key would'nt turn on it was like i had the wrong key , i pulled it out a couple of times and reinserted and it worked , i have an appointment on monday for this and a few other minor problems .
Old 12-16-2005, 10:28 PM

This problem has been around for almost a year. I had to have the ignition cylinder replaced last summer. They freeze up - the trick is to tap the key in towards the column with something while turning the key. This trick by the tow truck driver saved me a flat-bed tow. Has happened on other models besides the Cobalt.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:40 PM

Wow, From the Tranny acting up, to the DIS Blinking some Random stuff, to the Key not unlocking...

What the hell is up with the Cobalt Ladies and Gents. Is it a troubled car or what...
Old 12-17-2005, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by RedSS
This problem has been around for almost a year. I had to have the ignition cylinder replaced last summer. They freeze up - the trick is to tap the key in towards the column with something while turning the key. This trick by the tow truck driver saved me a flat-bed tow. Has happened on other models besides the Cobalt.

yeah the tow truck driver tried that on my car too, and it didn't work.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:55 AM

ignition coil problem

I just got my car back from the shop due to this issue, my problem was alot like 05cobalts. I went to start the car, it wouldn't turn over, tried again nothing, I gave it some gas as I hit the ignition then the car started but was running very very hard and spuddering out of time.. Mine has 12,600 so far.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Brian MP5T
Wow, From the Tranny acting up, to the DIS Blinking some Random stuff, to the Key not unlocking...

What the hell is up with the Cobalt Ladies and Gents. Is it a troubled car or what...
yea thats what i wanna know, is GM's quality finally showing up?
Old 12-17-2005, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by 05ssscgirl
yeah the tow truck driver tried that on my car too, and it didn't work.
My car is too low as well. It's a bit of a pain in the ass. The last time I had it on a lift I had to Spin the suspension up Two inches to clear the lift.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:04 AM

My car has been towed 3 times now for this issue where the iginiton cylinder wont turn. The dealership keeps saying they can't repliccate the problem. I am beginning to wonder if I am just stupid or what because I can't get the key to turn no matter what I do.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:49 AM

Yeah I went into my car the other day and go to start it, key goes in fine, but cant turn it! Take the key back out and look at it then I notice OMG that not my key lol just so happens my car was unlocked and the key actually fit in my ignition. All that to waste 5 minutes. Felt like a dumb ass. Well MY key works.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:12 AM

o.k I got it back and they told me that I have a bad cat. IT'S A BRAND NEW CAR, why the hell is the cat going bad. I'm sorry to bring this up but I had a 2000 Honda Civic Si and even with the mods I did to the car it never, ever gave me any problems.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:16 AM

I just had the Service Mgr. come out and meet me at my car to show him what I am talking about. He brought a tech with him and finally it wouldn't turn with him there so I am finally going to get the issue solved!!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:36 AM

I would hardly state that the cobalt is a troubled car by the problems occuring and posted on this forum, which just isn't a substantial number whatsoever.

Keeping in mind, is it safe to say that most of the problems are occuring with 05's and yet to be experienced on the 06's that possibly have been taken care of?
Old 12-20-2005, 11:39 AM

You can get these things on a flat bed with no problems are all. You just need a couple boards in front of the wheels and pull it up on the boards before it goes onto the bed. I have seen a Ferrari 360 go on a flat bed and my old Neon was WAY lower then the Cobalt and that thing was on a flat bed every couple weeks, hahaha.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by 05cobalt
o.k I got it back and they told me that I have a bad cat. IT'S A BRAND NEW CAR, why the hell is the cat going bad. I'm sorry to bring this up but I had a 2000 Honda Civic Si and even with the mods I did to the car it never, ever gave me any problems.
Thats really weird. Just get it fixed no big deal. All new cars are vulnerable even hondas. I like that Si Model, it was and still is a good car. Probably better built then the Cobalt. But that fact remains and will allways remain that most people here don't care about your modded honda and never will just because its a civic. Just the other day I was at a light and a guy with a early 90s civic pulls up to me (I think he was in a gang or something) cuz he kept yelling what and what over and over again. Like what does that mean? My point is I like the civic just not the reputation of drivers it has earned in the past decade.

Old 12-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 05cobalt
The reason that Japanese cars tend to have less first year problems is because the U.S. market rarely gets any first year vehicles from Japan. Most models are released in Japan first, and therefore the small issues and annoyances are worked out before they are imported to the U.S. Hence the reason your 2000 Civic Si was trouble free.

yea thats what i wanna know, is GM's quality finally showing up?
Lets not jump to conclusions. Most of the issues that members have had on here have been small problems and annoyances, such as misfitting trim pieces and ECU issues that can be easily fixed with a recal. Don't think the Cobalt is the only car that has first year issues, just about every new vehicle on the market has at least a couple. Ironically the RSX has been one of the more issue prone Japanese vehicles in recent history, just check out some of the problems the guys over on the RSX forums have.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:24 AM

So I am getting mine fixed. They are having a new igniton cylinder overnighted so that they can fix it today.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:22 PM

BLKSS..It sounds like you have a personal issue with honda's that I have nothing to do with, all I was saying is that it was the last "new vehicle" I owned and I had no problems, even with the modifications that I did that could have also caused even more problems. And I do agree with you with most honda drivers, they are young and very obnoctious and are mostly ricers ....that is why I switched to american cars. BLKSS..it will be O.K, that honda driver that wooped your a$$, is in your past...try to live in the present.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:33 PM

PS, if you have to get your car towed, make sure you tell them not to use a tilt bed truck, as the car sits too damn low to the ground to get up on the bed. found that one out the hard way..[/QUOTE]

yeah, dont let em dollie it either, they did $458 damage to my valances, which they have to pay!!! car doesnt like being towed! and this happened to mine less than 2 weeks after i bought it . been fine ever since!
Old 01-23-2006, 11:50 AM

blkss more power to ya!! nothing against hondas they r a good car but ur right about the drivers who drives them!! they think just because it saids honda on them it makes them fast??? please!! my john deere lawn more can take them!!! lol they think with a high wing and acouple of racing stickers they can go fast.... plus there tilt mufflers it give them a good boost ha!!