Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Issue with Intermediate shaft install...I done screwed it up

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Issue with Intermediate shaft install...I done screwed it up

Today I decided to replace my clunking intermediate shaft. I installed it with the steering wheel in the wrong position took top shaft end off of electric steering motor shaft, fixed the steering wheel and tried to reattach the top shaft end. I must have installed it wrong the first time and drove the bolt through the splines of the output shaft and now I can't tighten it the right way so the car is out of service. Can someone in the know tell me if the output shaft on the electric steering motor is replaceable? It looks like it can be unscrewed but I'm not sure. Car is laid up, help!

Last edited by CobaltNCamaro; 11-22-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure that it is
Either way your gonna have to pull ps motor either way. Find one used on ebay or something seen them cheap.
Ive replaced mine 4 tomes and still not sure what you said you did. It has a clearance for the bolt on the splines did you not push it on far enough and ate up the splines???
Old 11-23-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by LNFTX
Not sure that it is Either way your gonna have to pull ps motor either way. Find one used on ebay or something seen them cheap. Ive replaced mine 4 tomes and still not sure what you said you did. It has a clearance for the bolt on the splines did you not push it on far enough and ate up the splines???
Thanks for the reply. Basically I installed the top coupling of the intermediate shaft (the one under the dashboard) TOO FAR UP on the shaft, past where the bolt is supposed to pass through the spline. Now since the spline is shot I can't slide the intermediate coupling into the proper position . Anyone else know if that PS shaft comes off?
Old 11-23-2014, 11:13 AM

No it does not.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:48 AM

The shaft in question is the shorter one pictured in this ebay listing. If I were to buy this item, could it be replaced without tearing the steering column apart? I've already replaced the electric steering motor on this car so I am familiar with the process

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-COBALT-Steering-Pump-electric-motor-05-06-07-08-09-10-/400701762185?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4bafaa89&vxp=mtr

Last edited by CobaltNCamaro; 11-23-2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 11-23-2014, 12:17 PM

Gonna have to pull the wheel off..
Old 11-23-2014, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by TStone
Gonna have to pull the wheel off..
I'm assuming you mean the steering wheel. I've never done one before although I understand its a bit involved, but not impossible. How hard of a job am I looking at here?
Old 11-23-2014, 03:49 PM

Before you go through the trouble of taking that column apart get a small flat or triangle diamond file and try to clean up the splines shouldn't be damaged too bad
Old 11-23-2014, 08:10 PM

Not big. I cna get you instructions if need be.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by LNFTX
Before you go through the trouble of taking that column apart get a small flat or triangle diamond file and try to clean up the splines shouldn't be damaged too bad
I was thinking of possibly trying to fix them with a file but they seem to small and delicate. Should I try to "regroove" the splines or flatten them with the file? I spent hours trying to bang the intermediate shaft in place before I discovered the splines were shot.

If you have a link to the steering wheel removal that'd be great, if not I can search for it. I'm pretty sure I saw a "How-to" for the turn signal column that should tell me what I need to know. I'd hate to have to tear into the steering column but it looks like thats what I'm gonna have to do
Old 11-24-2014, 06:45 AM

Sounds like you need to try to re groove it
Old 11-25-2014, 07:36 PM

UPDATE: I attempted to re-groove the splines on the shaft that connects to the top of the intermediate shaft and found that to be pretty tedious. After about half an hour of trial and error I said "screw it" and filed away the bad splines and that worked.

Only question I have now is, since my steering wheel is 90 degrees off center what is the procedure to correctly "align" it? I did spin the wheel with the intermediate shaft off and I am aware that's a big no-no. Hopefully you sages on here have some wisdom for me!
Thanks
Old 11-25-2014, 07:43 PM

Probably gonna have to pull the i shaft back off and spin it so it will line back up. probably take it a full circle.. assuming you didn't mess up the keyway on the splines.......
Old 11-25-2014, 07:50 PM

Probably gonna have to pull the i shaft back off and spin it so it will line back up. probably take it a full circle.. assuming you didn't mess up the keyway on the splines.......
Right, I figured that much. I guess the more pointed question is, how do I know I have the steering wheel in its center, ignoring the intermediate shaft. Is it more or less a guess? I wouldnt want the wires in the steering wheel to bind/ chafe and cause hell that way
Old 11-25-2014, 07:54 PM

You don't really..... and you risk messing up your clock spring. That = airbag light on = no airbags.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:03 PM

You don't really..... and you risk messing up your clock spring. That = airbag light on = no airbags.
Yep you might be in trouble already its pretty crucial to not let that steering wheel get very far outta line. Ive had mine off by a spline or two either way and it did no damage but 90 degrees???

Just get out and turn the tires visibly straight then unbolt it and straighten up the wheel and go for a drive. Assuming your alignment is good you will know where you stand and can adjust accordingly.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:57 PM

^this

Be careful, while doing my clutch I had my buddy help and he installed my steering shaft 180° off, so my steering wheel was upside down; when I corrected it and started driving again, my clockspring went out a few days later.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:31 PM

UPDATE: Well guess what happened once I aligned the steering wheel the "correct" way... I went to make a tight right turn in a parking lot, the wheel got very tight and the "Service Air Bag" light came on. Did a little research and it turns out I broke the clock spring. There has to be a more scientific way to get the steering wheel in the right position so it doesnt mess up the clock spring. Has anyone had to reset their wheel before?

I hate to admit this but maybe it will save some other poor soul from making the same mistake... The (EXTREMELY UNSCIENTIFIC) way I found my "center" was turning the wheel (disconnected from Inter. Shaft) all the way to the left till it got tight, thus giving me my LEFT limit, counting the number of full rotations I spun it to the right till it got tight, giving me my RIGHT limit. I split the difference and figured that would be a good enough way to get my CENTER. Someone please enlighten me on the proper way to find my center and if possibly any tips for replacing my clock spring.... THANK YOU

Edit: Cruise no longer works and horn no longer works as well

Last edited by CobaltNCamaro; 11-28-2014 at 04:33 PM. Reason: More details
Old 11-28-2014, 04:42 PM

Boom

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-...cement-309567/

I hate to see people making easily preventable mistakesmThere are directon here that very clearly tell you not to let your steering wheel rotate while changing the shaft. Next time use google and search for directions first almost everything you will need to do to your car has a how to on here.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:40 AM

Thank you for posting the how-to, that's going to make my life much easier