Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Crack in rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 02:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crack in rear bumper

So I'm backing out of a tight parking lot at night, and low and behold, the owners of this fine establishment decide to put three foot poles around an extended area of curb... Needless to say I smacked one and now the paint on the top of my bumper has lifted upward like a normal crack. The difference is instead of it going vertically through, it goes perpendicular under the paint, so its like the paint has separated from the plastic. I left it for a few days, checked on it again... And its spreading.. So I'm going to need to drill it out at the ends of the crack I suppose.

I'm not exactly sure how to fix this, I've read a few things online but those methods really apply to cracks that go the whole way through. Is it possible to just heat this up, press it back down and treat it like a regular crack? How much do shops usually charge to repair something like this?

To be honest, I would be happy just getting it back down, stopping it from spreading and touch up around the rough areas so its less noticeable instead of going through a full repair, but if a full repair isn't that hard why not right?

Any help is awesome guys... Pictures below...

Overview
Showing lifted, not straight through
Close up