Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

PSA: Hot engine & wires don't mix

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PSA: Hot engine & wires don't mix

I just replaced my thermostat the other day and while I had the decorative engine cover off, I noticed under the cover, there was some wires in that protective corrugated plastic tubing sitting directly on my engine block (for who the hell knows how long) and had melted through the corrugated tubing and started to burn some of the wires. A quick trip to home depot to get electrical tape and the protective tubing and everything is fine now.

Couldn't help but wonder wtf GM was thinking when they decided to mount things to the engine that clearly couldn't handle the heat. I imagine this kind of thing is why cobalts are known for electrical issues.

Anyone else have anything like this happen to their 'balt?
Old 02-22-2017, 06:45 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
The stock wire loom that runs along the upper edge of the firewall has disintegrated over where the turbo is and the wire insulation wen't gooey lol
Old 02-27-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gooey? Thats different.
Mine were like dry rotted and petrified. just crumbling apart. I'll have to check by my firewall to see if I have the same thing as you. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2017, 11:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by StevoElSupremo
The stock wire loom that runs along the upper edge of the firewall has disintegrated over where the turbo is and the wire insulation wen't gooey lol
Mine is the same way. Has anyone else done something to stop this from happening?