Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

A Series of Unfortunate Events...

Old 03-24-2017, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Series of Unfortunate Events...

So I recently became the new owner of a 2006 Cobalt SS with a fresh TVS swap.
After taking delivery of the vehicle, a friend and myself figured out that the clutch position sensor/switch was going out, and would cause intermittent starting issues. The switch was removed and a paperclip was used to bypass the switch for the moment. FYI new switch has been ordered.

After driving the car to the tax office to register and transfer the title, the car refused to start. In my attempt to fix what I thought was a clutch switch problem again, has escalated. The car shows the security light when turned to the "on" position. No other dash lights will illuminate, and the info screen will only show the millage; it will not cycle through the trip options/fuel.etc. The car will not start, and after attempting to, the security light will come on but will not stay illuminated. The security relearn has been attempted. Battery is 5 days old. Fuses have been checked, have not checked the relays with a voltmeter but I can later this evening.

Any additional ideas??
Old 03-24-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
Do you have access to a goid scan to?
Old 03-24-2017, 12:40 PM

Scan tool? Not tonight, but I could get a hold of one this weekend.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You could have a loose ground somewhere. Also sounds like a possible BCM issue.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:15 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Did you do the relearn properly? Not being smart, when I had to do it I thought sure someone was pulling my leg with all the weirdness you had to do. Thanks to ZZP for this....

11. How do I perform a security relearn?
For the seed key relearn, this is the procedure:
You can open and close the door- It doesn't matter. You will need to get in and out since you need to push in the clutch.

1. Depress the clutch and try to start the car. If it does not turn over, let off, but leave the key in the run position. The security light should be lit up on the dash.
2. Wait 10 minutes(you can open the door and get out). The security light on the dash will turn off after 10 minutes.
3. Turn the key off for 5 seconds, then depress the clutch and try to start the car. If it does not turn over, let off, but leave the key in the run position. The security light should be lit up on the dash.
4. Wait 10 minutes(you can open the door and get out). The security light on the dash will turn off after 10 minutes.
5. Turn the key off for 5 seconds, then depress the clutch and try to start the car. If it does not turn over, let off, but leave the key in the run position. The security light should be lit up on the dash.
6. Wait 10 minutes(you can open the door and get out). The security light on the dash will turn off after 10 minutes.
7. Turn the key off for 5 seconds, then depress the clutch and try to start the car. The car should start on this attempt.
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l...nstall-230590/
Old 03-24-2017, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by cw383
Did you do the relearn properly? Not being smart, when I had to do it I thought sure someone was pulling my leg with all the weirdness you had to do. Thanks to ZZP for this....

11. How do I perform a security relearn?
For the seed key relearn, this is the procedure:
You can open and close the door- It doesn't matter. You will need to get in and out since you need to push in the clutch.

1. Depress the clutch and try to start the car. If it does not turn over, let off, but leave the key in the run position. The security light should be lit up on the dash.
2. Wait 10 minutes(you can open the door and get out). The security light on the dash will turn off after 10 minutes.
3. Turn the key off for 5 seconds, then depress the clutch and try to start the car. If it does not turn over, let off, but leave the key in the run position. The security light should be lit up on the dash.
4. Wait 10 minutes(you can open the door and get out). The security light on the dash will turn off after 10 minutes.
5. Turn the key off for 5 seconds, then depress the clutch and try to start the car. If it does not turn over, let off, but leave the key in the run position. The security light should be lit up on the dash.
6. Wait 10 minutes(you can open the door and get out). The security light on the dash will turn off after 10 minutes.
7. Turn the key off for 5 seconds, then depress the clutch and try to start the car. The car should start on this attempt.
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l...nstall-230590/
I did not now you had to do the procedure 3 times. I will try this again tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I really did have to do mine 3 times too. At that time it wasn't posted on ZZP's site, and after two tries it didn't work, I was very skeptical that it would work, but it did! Sure hope it works for you. Arm rest shipped out today, should be 4 days.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Oh yeah, the relearn procedure is ridiculous.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:27 PM

Soo... I finally found the problem. New Clutch switch was installed. 10A fuse for ip ign was replaced (I missed it the first time through the fuse checks). Relearn procedure was completed night before parts installed. Car now starts, runs and drives well. Also found out I bought the car and drove it 600 miles home with at least 2 broken wheel studs on the drivers side front wheel. Going to work on that this week. Thanks for all the advice.

Search this Thread