Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Steering wheel moves back and forth over bumps, sloppy and loose steering

Old 09-19-2012, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel moves back and forth over bumps, sloppy and loose steering

Wondering if anybody here could help me out

Things to know:

-2005 Cobalt LS with 60,014 miles
-I Shaft replaced in March because of clunking and steering not returning to neutral
-Struts and Shocks replaced in March (With alignment of course)
-Pads and Rotors replaced last month
-Rotation on Monday

Here are my symptoms that I have begun noticing recently although Im not sure how long its been going on. When I got my struts, shocks and I shaft replaced, the shop didnt mention any other suspension problems.

-Steering wheel moving back and worth while going over bumps. The bigger the bump, the more pronounced the movement.
-Steering wheel shimmying at speeds between 60-70mph
-Intermittent popping noise while turning over uneven surface
-back end seems to sway over bumps and dips
-steering feels very loose and if I pull the wheel to one side while stopped, it oscillates about 1 time back and forth before coming to rest
-creaking noise while turning the wheel

I have read that these issues could be related to a number of things. Worn ball joints, stabilizer links, sway bars, tie rod end links and control arm bushings.

Im guessing its bushings. From what I understand on the 2005 you can replace the bushings only. The whole arm doesnt have to be replaced. I find it hard to believe the arm is shot after 60k. But living in Michigan, I wouldnt be surprised. Many roads are garbage.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anybody had some input on what the problem may be. Am I in the ballpark? Assuming it is bushings, what would a fair price be. Not sure if I want to go to the stealership or the shop I have been dealing with.

Last edited by mooler; 09-19-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:32 PM

I am having the EXACT same issue right now. Poly CABS, Ball joints, hub bearings, tie rod ends, steering rack, sway bar end links, struts, upper strut mount bearings, all replaced within last 15K miles. Ive had 2 different alignment shops align it to no avail and this is driving me crazy. There is no uneven tire wear either, the car is just kinda scary at highway speeds. Please tell me someone can chime in here and help us!
Old 09-20-2012, 12:41 PM

Are you lowered?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:44 PM

Forgot to add that, on Progress springs with Progress rear sway bar. Also have the steering rack spacers installed from TTR.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by K-Train04RL
Are you lowered?
Im not lowered. Stock everything. Only things that have been replaced or repaired are my shocks, struts and I shaft

Its funny I have been trying to get over my fear of the freeway and now this happens. Doesnt make it any easier
Old 09-20-2012, 01:41 PM
RHZ

Fear of highway? In Detroit i'd be afraid to stop.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by RHZ
Fear of highway? In Detroit i'd be afraid to stop.
I know what you mean . I had a panic attack on I-75 during a torrential thunderstorm. I was driving through those two lane traffic shifts they use during construction with the concrete barriers. A semi truck was on my right, a hummer behind me and a bus in front of me. It was a mess! Ever since then I have been terrified of the freeway and bridges. But im getting better and I need my car to feel safe if I am to attempt recovery
Old 09-25-2012, 02:32 PM

Bump. Would love to get this issue figured out. E-assist steering motor maybe going out?
Old 09-25-2012, 02:46 PM

How about u jack up the front end. And check for play
Old 09-25-2012, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by fastfreddy7
Bump. Would love to get this issue figured out. E-assist steering motor maybe going out?
Power steering motor was replaced during the recall. I dont think thats it. However I am noticing that when I take my foot off the brake while stopped, the steering wheel moves and a clunk is heard. Only happens in gear, not when parked. Not sure if that is related to the power steering or the brake system or if thats normal. I am on high alert for all sounds and movement. It is driving me crazy.

Originally Posted by K-Train04RL
How about u jack up the front end. And check for play
i did this when I changed my brakes. I didnt notice any play. I pulled the tire in and out and tried to rock it back and forth but noticed no movement. However, I was only using the stock jack and I really didnt want to pull too hard. What I didnt do was try and turn the tire in and out. Maybe i should try that. I should probably get a proper jack with a set of stands huh? Any recommendations on a good jack?

Last edited by mooler; 09-25-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:31 PM

Yeah I-75 Sucks...so does 94 going towards detriot..The road needs to be repaved and widened >.<
Old 09-25-2012, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sir_Hiro
Yeah I-75 Sucks...so does 94 going towards detriot..The road needs to be repaved and widened >.<
I agree. Going east to Port Huron is a heck of a lot better than going towards the D. So narrow down there.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does you steering column make any noise at all as well?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by tpete763
Does you steering column make any noise at all as well?

Yes...it makes that infamous rattling noise when going over bumps at slower speeds. I was told it was not a safety concern and only an annoyance. Only way to fix it is a new column.

It also makes a very slight creaking noise when turning. Not a clicking noise or a knocking noise. Almost like rubber against rubber. It seems to be coming from the bottom of the column itself. I was thinking about shooting some lithium grease into the boot at the base of the column to see if that helps.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
poly cabs are immediate fail. check.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
poly cabs are immediate fail. check.
Im not sure what you mean...

Do you mean the cabs have failed? I should check for this? And if so, I should opt for poly cabs? Both sides?

I appreciate the feedback
Old 09-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Former Vendor

the front lower control arm bushing at the rear of the arm (trailing cab) moves in and out as the arm moves up and down. Poly wears out and makes the car unsafe.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:49 PM

the front lower control arm bushing at the rear of the arm (trailing cab) moves in and out as the arm moves up and down. Poly wears out and makes the car unsafe.
thats good to know but I dont have poly cabs. I have stock. I thought poly was better than stock ie...they dont wear out as fast as stock rubber.

Regardless, It seems to be the bushings....not the arm itself. How much are we talking for repair here? I assume I should replace both just to be safe.

I havent jacked up the car and checked them yet because Im not really sure what to look for. Im probably going to take it in on my next day off but I cannot be without a vehicle so I hope its something they can do in one day
Old 09-29-2012, 07:24 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mooler
thats good to know but I dont have poly cabs. I have stock. I thought poly was better than stock ie...they dont wear out as fast as stock rubber.

Regardless, It seems to be the bushings....not the arm itself. How much are we talking for repair here? I assume I should replace both just to be safe.

I havent jacked up the car and checked them yet because Im not really sure what to look for. Im probably going to take it in on my next day off but I cannot be without a vehicle so I hope its something they can do in one day
its not a difficult job unless there are rusted components and then its a pita...with the GM service tool cabs are a five minute re and re, once the arms are off the car. Caveats include rusted strut components, but you can get away with leaving the sway bar connected, and rusted cradle bolt, that you cant avoid removing so hope for the best...
Old 09-30-2012, 11:44 PM

Thanks for the info...

I had my father in law take it for a drive and he could find nothing out of the ordinary except for the rear end felt like it was swaying or jumpy. He is a really knowledgeable car guy and he has owned a salvage yard for 20 years so I trust his judgement. He said that when those cabs go, you usually hear a metal on metal banging. However, we could not find a road bumpy enough to replicate the issue. He did notice that the rear end seems to sway or become jumpy over bumps. I have noticed that too but I recently had my shocks replaced so im not sure what that is about.

Anyways, when i got back to my side of town I drove over speed bumps at about 15mph and sure enough my wheel oscillated back and forth and then "locked" to the left. I noticed that if I traverse the bump with both wheels straight on, the steering wheel will stay relatively straight most of the time. So i tried with my right wheel on the bump and the left wheel on the road and it turned left again. Am I just going crazy making this stuff up in my head? When i take it to the shop I dont want to be hosed out of hundreds of dollars because of my ignorance.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 PM

replaced both lca bushings today. Problem has been greatly diminished though not eliminated completely. Much more control. Steering is not locking over big bumps but wheel still moves somewhat. Still feels a little sloppy. Alignment was in spec. Any other components I should be looking at? They did not indicate that i had any other wear problems
Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Former Vendor

intermediate steering shaft.
sway bar pillow block bushings.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 AM

intermediate steering shaft.
sway bar pillow block bushings.

I shaft was replaced in March of this year. I mentioned that to the shop on arrival. Dont think that is the problem.

Never heard of pillow block bushings. Is pillow block a brand or a part name? Dont have the funds to get those replaced at a shop. Im a newb when it comes to auto repair so wondering if it is an easy DIY. And thanks again for all your input
Old 10-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Former Vendor

pillow blocks support the swaybar. u can replace them yourself with a little work. its not a piece of cake but its okay to do with decent tools. etc.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:24 PM

pillow blocks support the swaybar. u can replace them yourself with a little work. its not a piece of cake but its okay to do with decent tools. etc.

Thanks. gonna check em out. I have a couple of new problems.

bump steer still evident after replacing cabs

Noticing A popping/clunking (more of a popping noise IMO) when turning the wheel all the way over. Have not been able to replicate it while stopped. Only when moving. Sounds like its coming from the passenger side. Like ive said before I had my I Shaft replaced in march. The sound that made was definately more of a clunk. Could that be something i need to get checked again? Its under warranty so I guess I may but It just seems like one problem gets fixed and another pops up.

So i took my car on the freeway today after getting the new cabs. My steering seems really sensitive and light. But more noticeably I have some slight vibration in the wheel when going over 70. I know that usually indicated a balance but I have had tires out of balance before and that vibration was way more noticable. Wondering if this could be indicative of any other suspension component failure

Thanks in advance

Last edited by mooler; 10-06-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering wheel moves back and forth over bumps, sloppy and loose steering