Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Sticking Key

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sticking Key

My wife has 05 Colbalt LSsedan. Sometimes the key will not come out of the ignition when she shuts down and puts it in park. She ends up having to re-start and go back into drive and then park before shutting down again. sometimes this needs to be repeated several times before the key will release.
On the occasions when the keys does not release, the sound as she goes to parkt is subdued and the door locks don't unlock either.
I've suggested that she unlock the doors while still in drive and then go to Park. The key seems to release reliably when she does this sequence.
Any ideas? Naturally, at the dealer, it always releases and they don't know anything about it.
Ed
Old 01-04-2006, 03:55 PM

take it in, tell them others have had to same problem on a message board you visit. demand they have a manager take it home. ask how many times they started and stopped it. took me two times to get it done. I screamed saftey issue and have a case open with GM customer service, they finally got it to replicate and i got the part replaced today actually.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:15 PM

have a 05 ls coupe

mine started doing it pretty much everytime i would shut it down.. instead of turning it back on my husband would press the brake and put it in 1st gear (i have a auto) then back to park and it would pop out.. sometimes it would take a few times doing this but it would work

i eventually brought it in and they lubed it.. they told me that if it did it again to bring it back and they would replace the part.. was about 3wks ago and its done it maybe 1 or 2 times since
Old 01-06-2006, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by ducati650
My wife has 05 Colbalt LSsedan. Sometimes the key will not come out of the ignition when she shuts down and puts it in park. She ends up having to re-start and go back into drive and then park before shutting down again. sometimes this needs to be repeated several times before the key will release.
On the occasions when the keys does not release, the sound as she goes to parkt is subdued and the door locks don't unlock either.
I've suggested that she unlock the doors while still in drive and then go to Park. The key seems to release reliably when she does this sequence.
Any ideas? Naturally, at the dealer, it always releases and they don't know anything about it.
Ed
I'm having the same problem....no matter what i do it seems at least once a day mine does the same thing...car is in the body shop getting fixed right now so i'm gonna go up there and through a fit and tell them i want it fixed...i have complained three times and they keep telling me they can't replicate it so there is nothing they can do...it actually made me late to work one day becuz it wouldn't come out for 45 min
Old 01-07-2006, 04:37 PM

Question key problem

I'm having the same problem with my cobalt. What specific part has been replaced? Thanks.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:57 PM

I have the same issue as well. I just hit the shifter a little to make sure the car is in park all the way and then it releases the key. I am also having an issue with my brake light flickering on and off all the time. I am taking it in for that and will see what they say about the key sticking.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:26 AM

brought mine back in b/c it started to get stuck alot again.. they are going to order a new ignition cylinder
Old 01-17-2006, 07:06 AM

fixed

We took it in and they replaced the ignition cylinder. Took them 2 tries because they screwed up some security crimping step and ruined the first cylinder. The cylinder didn't fix it. They knew right away and told us that they needed to replace something like a shift cable or something to do with the shifter. It is an automatic. This fixed it. They said they have to do the cylinder first then if that doesn't solve it, they can change the shifter piece.
Ed
Old 01-20-2006, 02:43 PM

I just got mine back today. They replaced the shifter and the problem seems to be solved. They also did a computer flash for the Brake light coming on. Apparently there is a bulletin about the from Chevy so they knew how to fix it.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:09 PM

ive never had the problem
Old 01-20-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the equinox's all have that problem. we had to replace a lot of ignition cylinders...the first sign is u will notice the key wearing and turning goldish and then the key will get stuck.......i expect to see more people with the same issues.