Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Sunroof won't close!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol ive learned this on more than 1 occasion, i love my car but holy damn it is a pain in the ass lol
Old 02-06-2011, 08:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SunburstSS
Now im lost buddy :x so you're saying that the sunroof will actually shut properly as if it goes in the proper position when closed, but you can just lift it up from the inside on the passenger's side ?
It will shut properly if I take a flat-head screwdriver and push the track. Otherwise, no.

Yes, if I help it close, I can push up the broken side. The non-broken side is locked down like it should be.

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
yeah man this is the exact issue when the brackets break. the part that is causing it not to close is the part that the other guy mentioned that locks the sunroof down. it breaks off and gets inside the track. open the sunroof all the way and on the side that will not close you will see a broken or popped off small bracket. break it the rest of the way off, or align it with the glass as it comes down and it will close.

it should be a really small piece that is broken, not the actual sunroof tracks.
I'll check it out today. Will it actually lock then? That's the only thing that scares me.

This is what makes me think that it is not the tab you guys are talking about.. Because when I push the track, it closes.

Originally Posted by hossdeuce
this happened to me, except i was being a dumb ass and trying to dry off my bathing suit while going down the road cuz i didnt want the wetness in my car :P oops lol

Originally Posted by cmatthewb101
Never give a Cobalt the benifit of a doubt. Just assume IT WILL break
Exactly! You have to be so fragile with these things.. Honestly.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe the fact that you put a sunroof on your 2.0L LSJ is why it isnt working.
Either that or you posted in the WRONG FORUM and I'm being a smartass about it
Old 02-06-2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by insylem
..?
Old 02-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx

I'll check it out today. Will it actually lock then? That's the only thing that scares me.
yes it will still lock. mine broke about 4 years ago, and since it is fully functional once you break off those pieces, i left it that way... no reason to spend hours of time and $ repairing something that works.

you sir are a retard. sunroofs are an option; although I wish i didn't have one now.

Last edited by selfinfliction; 02-06-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-06-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You do realize that a large number of Cobalt SS/SC's and SS/TC's came from the factory with a sunroof?
Old 02-06-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
yes it will still lock. mine broke about 4 years ago, and since it is fully functional once you break off those pieces, i left it that way... no reason to spend hours of time and $ repairing something that works.
Alright cool man, I'll be going out in the garage soon.. I've got the heater full blast right now because it's 25°F out right now haha.

And that's what I mean.. You said "still lock".. Well as of now, my broken side doesn't lock when it is closed. I can open it with my hand.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:55 PM

Okay, so I removed the tab, and yes it closes now.

The reason it was not closing: Because the track on the passenger side is, in fact, broke. It is not moving at all. The driver side track moves. I had to manually move the broken track with a screw-driver to get it to pass over the little tab you were talking about.

Now I am stuck with the fact that the sunroof does not lock. I am still able to push it open from the inside even when it is sitting closed and flush. By removing that tab, you are removing the lock that holds the sunroof closed.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:21 PM

Okay, so I removed the tab, and yes it closes now.

The reason it was not closing: Because the track on the passenger side is, in fact, broke. It is not moving at all. The driver side track moves. I had to manually move the broken track with a screw-driver to get it to pass over the little tab you were talking about.

Now I am stuck with the fact that the sunroof does not lock. I am still able to push it open from the inside even when it is sitting closed and flush. By removing that tab, you are removing the lock that holds the sunroof closed.
yes these two tabs will hold the sunroof's glass down, water will not leak anymore than it already is, there's two hoses running from the sunroof's frame all the way to trunk to take the water out.

The only way to get the full locking mechanism is to replace the whole frame or custom fabricate a lock for it...

It sucks I know...
Old 02-07-2011, 09:59 AM

yes these two tabs will hold the sunroof's glass down, water will not leak anymore than it already is, there's two hoses running from the sunroof's frame all the way to trunk to take the water out.

The only way to get the full locking mechanism is to replace the whole frame or custom fabricate a lock for it...

It sucks I know...
It never leaked to begin with though

How hard is it to remove the frame? I found one brand new for $135 + shipping
Old 02-07-2011, 12:24 PM

It never leaked to begin with though

How hard is it to remove the frame? I found one brand new for $135 + shipping
Not That Hard At All, It's Just Time Consuming, There's About 6 Bolts That Hold It Down...Thats A pretty Good Price, I'd Say Go For It !Took Me Like 20-30 Mins To Take One Out !
Old 02-07-2011, 01:33 PM

Here's a pic of the sunroof frame in my parts catalog.

25936960 - Frame, Sunroof
List Price: 215.34 Trade Price: 161.49 Dealer Price: 127.00

Old 02-07-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by 5hizn1t
Here's a pic of the sunroof frame in my parts catalog.

25936960 - Frame, Sunroof
List Price: 215.34 Trade Price: 161.49 Dealer Price: 127.00

Where'd you get this catalog??

Not That Hard At All, It's Just Time Consuming, There's About 6 Bolts That Hold It Down...Thats A pretty Good Price, I'd Say Go For It !Took Me Like 20-30 Mins To Take One Out !
What about the drain tubes?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:32 PM

Where'd you get this catalog??

What about the drain tubes?
The catalog is on gmpartsdirect.com

the drain tubes will be fine no need to replace the unless they're clogged or broken or something.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:44 PM

the drain tubes will be fine no need to replace the unless they're clogged or broken or something.
Aren't they connected to the frame?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:18 AM

Aren't they connected to the frame?
No actually there's two white nipples that the hoses go onto, so nothing has to be cut or broken, so u'll be fine, Its not hard at all, it just takes some time and patience
Old 02-09-2011, 02:30 AM

No actually there's two white nipples that the hoses go onto, so nothing has to be cut or broken, so u'll be fine, Its not hard at all, it just takes some time and patience
I thought nipples were pink?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by moranjames89
or brown.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by D_sean257
or brown.
if you like the mexican chicks
Old 02-09-2011, 02:34 AM

Or mixed, or black chicks lol.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:39 AM

My catalog comes from GM. I've been a GM parts man at our local dealership for 16 years. I get all my info from GMGlobalconnect.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:31 PM

or brown.
Or mixed, or black chicks lol.
LMFAO...It actually took me a minute to think about it hahah...
Old 02-09-2011, 04:48 PM

Needs to be a sticky on this one. Thanks for this one too.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:15 PM

I found a fix for some of us. My sunroof ended up not closing on one side although I didn't have any grinding noises. I visually inspected with the sunroof in tilt and all of the pieces on the functioning side were on the non functioning side so nothing was broken or missing. I checked that the tracks were free and clear from debris.

If you put your sunroof in tilt, and from in the car (we'll say sitting in the driver's seat) look to the passenger side, you will see ">PA<" only upside down on a portion of the arm holding the sunroof, it won't be hard to find. If you reach with your fingers behind that (as in, reach from the inside of your car, to the outside of that arm) you will find there is a piece on the back that slides. It slides toward the car and away from the car *don't slide it too far forward. slide that piece until the visible end of it is lined up with the first ">" on the ">PA<" (the one ">"closest to your trunk NOT the one ">" closest to your car.

Thats it, if it was not closing fully because it was getting trapped on that tap that sticks out, this will fix it.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by D_Rob
I found a fix for some of us. My sunroof ended up not closing on one side although I didn't have any grinding noises. I visually inspected with the sunroof in tilt and all of the pieces on the functioning side were on the non functioning side so nothing was broken or missing. I checked that the tracks were free and clear from debris.

If you put your sunroof in tilt, and from in the car (we'll say sitting in the driver's seat) look to the passenger side, you will see ">PA<" only upside down on a portion of the arm holding the sunroof, it won't be hard to find. If you reach with your fingers behind that (as in, reach from the inside of your car, to the outside of that arm) you will find there is a piece on the back that slides. It slides toward the car and away from the car *don't slide it too far forward. slide that piece until the visible end of it is lined up with the first ">" on the ">PA<" (the one ">"closest to your trunk NOT the one ">" closest to your car.

Thats it, if it was not closing fully because it was getting trapped on that tap that sticks out, this will fix it.
I will check into this. Because as of now, the arm on the driver's side still works, and the passenger side does not. As in, the arm will not move and the glass will stay in "vent" while the driver side goes to the "closed" position.

Can you take some pictures maybe?

Quick Reply: Sunroof won't close!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!