Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Weird noise, can't figure out

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird noise, can't figure out

Hey guys, in need of some major help. I've been hearing some kind of rotational noise for awhile now. Last year I was hearing a noise, which was my CV, so I had my axles, tie rods inner and outer, wheel hub assembly, lower ball joint, and brakes replaced all at the same time, by a "professional" he told me I had a little play in my rack and pinion at the time nothing major. Well after I got the car back I was still hearing a noise, had my rear hubs replaced. After awhile I was still hearing it so I had the shop replace the axles and hubs again (under warranty) hoping it would go away. It didn't. I did lots of research on here thought maybe the half shaft bearing (he checked said it was good no play in it) then I mentioned the rack again he doesn't think so because I can still turn great. The noise isnt very loud and sounds similar to a rotatioal noise. Happens when I turn left and right (more so right) gets a tad louder at higher speeds, when I drive straight, even braking it's there. Here's the catch tho, it doesn't always make the noise when I'm driving. After about 30mph it starts and stays consistent no matter the speed. Does it in neutral 3rd 4th and 5th gear. Mechanic thinks it could be a transmission problem.. not replacing or rebuilding the trans unless I'm 200% sure. I have no issues when it comes to shifting either. Any ideas?
Old 01-13-2017, 09:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
not sure what the noise is. is it a knock that increases with speed? a groan? a grind? could be a hung up caliper. could be a wheel bearing. could be that you just don't have your radio turned up loud enough.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
could be the diff. they are noisey on these cars
Old 01-13-2017, 05:28 PM

It's more a tapping than a grind. I've had two sets of wheel bearings replaced so isn't that. I checked the brakes they seem alright as theres no warping or nothing.
As far as the differential goes, I do have the G85 trans, is it common for them to be noisy?
Old 01-13-2017, 05:44 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
The lsd is more of a whine not a tap.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
The lsd is more of a whine not a tap.
I only hear a whine when I'm turning sharp right on an on-ramp while going fast (60-70 on a 35) don't do it often due to the sad sound it makes