Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Two codes P0145 and P0446

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 05:33 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Two codes P0145 and P0446

So I got the codes below in the pic yesterday... didn't notice until I saw the light otherwise the car runs fine, I le-googled the issue and found its evap related, but the results are fairly spread, anyone know the part numbers to fix this?

Price is not an issue , just want this stupid light to go away... if someone has the part #'s to fix this please let me know and I'll get it.. I think its an evap canister and a fuel tank pressure sensor as per Facebook help, just want to be sure.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:37 PM
Slobodan Milošević

Received 215 Likes on 175 Posts
I know the front solenoid is a pretty common issue with these, but I'm not sure what cel's have been associated with it going bad. It's a cheap and easy fix if that is what it is
Old 03-16-2016, 05:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
What ive seen most for that vent valve code is wires torn off the valve itself. Fixed a ton of cars at work for those 2 codes. Look at the 2 connectors going into your charcoal canister to left of your fuel filter. If they look good, you probably just need a vent valve.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by 07blackg5
I know the front solenoid is a pretty common issue with these, but I'm not sure what cel's have been associated with it going bad. It's a cheap and easy fix if that is what it is
The purge valve is the one up front under the hood that goes into the engine. Vent valve is under the rear of the car in the charcoal canister.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:00 PM

Lemme know if you want a actual diag procedure to test if it actually is that vent valve, be more than happy to send it to you
Old 03-16-2016, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kobraa
Lemme know if you want a actual diag procedure to test if it actually is that vent valve, be more than happy to send it to you
Well I've picked up a vent valve, parts store was selling it for a buck more than rockauto... it's pouring right now and I dont have a garage, but I took a peak quick under the car and all the wires around that canister look intact.. tomorrow I'll jack it up to get a better look through, how complicated is the test? if I install this thing theres no refunds lol

Thanks btw

Last edited by StevoElSupremo; 03-16-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:40 AM

Its pretty easy. Do you have a test light? If so, hook it up in place of the valve. If you have access to a scan tool, command it on and off and the light should come on and off. Also, on most GM vehicles when you turn your key on, it runs a circuit check on that valve, so if you hook up the light and turn your key on, the light should light up for about a second after key on. Thats how i test Silverados most of the time so i dont have to drag the tech 2 out, but im not entirely certain if our cars do it too. I could plug my light into mine over lunch and let you know if you dont get a light. If it ends of being a wire problem i can send you the diag procedure.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Just an FYI when you have a bad fuel tank pressure sensor, which is the first code you have, it normally throws a vent valve code too. Not normally a circuit code but a performance code.

What happens is the pressure sensor gets stuck on a reading, and the PCM will still command the vent valve to open to relieve tank pressure. If the PCM doesn't see a change in tank pressure when it commands the valve to open it assumes that the valve is stuck and will throw a vent valve code aswell.

Only way to really test it is with a scan tool capable of reading data not sure if rpd or interceptor can read FTP or not. Pinch off the vent line and run the motor, see if the reading changes. If not, you found your problem.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:26 PM

Thx for the help all, If anyone cares, and this is for future googlers of these codes.. It was the Sensor on the back of the gas tank canister thing, swapped it out and no more CEL