Recalls Chevy Cobalt recall information center

Recall #10256 New

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2009 TC and showed this to the dealer today..he ran my VIN and the recall didn't come up. I was there watching him log on my vin..nada on this reacall.
Thoughts? I'm not having a problem either.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:14 AM

Recall

I have a 09 tc also and I did not no about this recall. What is it for? But I also took mine in and asked them to check for any decals and they did not show any on mine either. Did u ever get an answer on this?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh boy. This happened to me. Got two parking tickets because of it. Had to get it towed to my house in the middle of the night and then towed to the dealer the next day. The keys would go in but they wouldn't turn or anything at all. Everything was taken care of by the dealer so I didn't really mind.. except for the parking tickets. :/
Old 04-11-2011, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by tazg1990
I have a 09 tc also and I did not no about this recall. What is it for? But I also took mine in and asked them to check for any decals and they did not show any on mine either. Did u ever get an answer on this?
I think certain cars within the recall years are effected..not ALL. The bulletin emphasizes in BOLD LETTERS the word *CERTAIN*. The recall is for the IGNITION LOCK, which can get stuck with the key inside.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:20 AM

Seems hit and miss. I JUST helped a buddy take his to a dealer with his '09 SS a couple weeks ago and my '10 JUST had it happen yesterday. Dealer fixed no problem. Chevy Roadside had to jump the car because the battery was dead though. Seems like it might be more then a simple TSB soon.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Up from the dead!

Just got a recall notice in the mail for mine, Rather not bring it to the dealer around here with all my parts on.. they already tried to void my warranty on a stock car with a factory block issue.. Gotta find a new dealer.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:45 PM

Thanks for posting up the info, had my '09 stick in the on position last night when I got home. Has anyone had any luck partially removing the cylinder with the anti-theft transponder antenna still attached and turned the receiving mechanism manually to get use of the car until you could get it to the dealership? Since it's Labor day weekend the earliest I can get there would be Tuesday (if they even have time to work it in) and my Cobalt is my only transportation.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:12 PM

Since this thread doesn't get a lot of traffic I took it upon myself to get my car back to a reasonable driving level (as in NOT having to disconnect the battery and stall the car out to shut it off). Here's some pics for anyone whose key gets stuck and has the tools/is brave enough to attack the problem themselves until they can get an appointment at the dealership.

Here is our stupid stuck key, it won't be going anywhere for a while:

This is our ignition switch. You can get to it by removing the 7mm (9/32") bolts from beneath the steering column and unsnapping the lower left and upper portion of the steering column plastic. It's not fitted together in the most eloquent of ways so it might take a bit of force. I also unsnapped the lower dash panel and depending on the tools you have available you might have to remove more. There are 2 T-15 screws securing the ignition switch to the back of the cylinder and since I had an angle-driver I didn't need a ton of space to remove them. It is designed to only be removable while the key is in the run position so I guess we are in luck on that one, lol. Once you have it loose you can see the shape of the insert and the spring loaded push pin inside of it. Be aware that only the inner portion of it turns so DO NOT just jam a regular shaped flathead screwdriver in it and try to force it. This can only lead to bad things that will not be covered under warranty.

Finally, here is the tool that I took to the grinder to give me the shape I needed to turn the ignition switch w/o breaking anything. Cheap-o flathead screwdriver (cheap ones are easier to grind down to the shape you need). Since your key is already stuck in the ignition and you don't have to mess with the transponder antenna there are no anti-theft system issues. You just stick the screwdriver in and turn it just like you would the key. It can be a little tricky removing it depending on the width of the blade so be careful you don't accidentally leave the switch in the ACC position.

This of course is a temp fix until I can get to the dealership for them to replace the ignition cylinder and I don't recommend doing this unless you are in a bind to keep use of your vehicle and you have a decent competency level involving basic vehicle dis-assembly and tool use. Hope this info might help someone in need.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:52 PM

I work at gm there is a recall for brake calipers and brake pads it's not posted yet but will be in near future for those of u with stock brake pads which I would think are few they were wearing to fast and there is jamming in the piston for the caliper
Old 09-27-2011, 06:23 PM

If you mean the rear brakes, mine were ruined by 40K already and I had to replace them out of pocket.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:53 PM

Just had my key get stuck today while the car was running. Pissed me off, had to drive home and stall the car to shut it off then disconnect the battery so it wouldn't die. Hope the dealer will fix it tomorrow
Old 12-20-2011, 01:55 PM

I had the same problem with my 09 cobalt. I had to kill it and then disconnect the battery each time I wasn’t using it. When it first happened I didn’t have another key with me and I was forced to leave my car unlocked (with the key stuck in the ignition). All you had to do to start it was wiggle the key. It was really unsafe since a little child could have gotten in my car and injured or killed someone. The defect is even more unsafe in automatic cobalts; if someone crashed their car and gasoline was leaking, then the car could explode since there is no practical way to kill it. I informed GM about their manufacturing defect but they did not seem to care. They have a "service bulletin" at Document ID: 2552146, but they only honor certain 2009 cobalts with certain VIN #s (I'm guessing very few, since my car wasn’t one of them and it had the exact same defect as described on their service bulletin). Since GM wasn't very helpful for me, and I bet they will treat you similarly, I would suggest filing a recall complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ to inform them of the common problem people are having with the ignition lock cylinder and to tell them of your safety concerns and GMs failure to truly remedy the situation. If the defective part is put on the recall list then GM will be forced by the government to replace the item that they negligently put into our cars in the first place and the government will force them to make our car as safe as what it should be. Please contact NHTSA if you have had a similar incident, otherwise GM will once again get away with screwing over their customers and disregarding their customers' safety.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:30 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
I had the same problem and it is a 2010. Fortunately the warranty took care of it.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:58 PM

Well this Just happened to my tonight on my 2010, dealership best take care of issue or must say this will be LAST CHEVY Product I OWN!!
Old 04-01-2012, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by 09sscalicobalt
haha yup i had this happen to its for 08-2010 ss only seem to do it with the 5 speeds lol also had the ps recall done and the ic grommet recall too but hey it was all free!
que?? There was a recall done for our intercoolers? Grommet?? anyone care to clarify this? I had my stock ic replaced when i first got the balt, and they mentioned that "GM was having issues with them" but didn't go any further with it..
Old 04-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They should change the name of the car from Chevy Cobalt to Chevy Recall
Old 04-16-2012, 10:58 AM

Happened to me 2 days ago

This issue just happened to me a few days ago (on a saturday, it's now monday).
I have an 09 SS so I would have to stall the car to stop it. And keep a second key handy so I could actually lock my car. An "awesome" feature I found out about this car is the truck release is electrical, and not mechanical. So I had to get some jumper cables hooked up to the terminals under the hood just to open the trunk, because I closed the trunk after I disconnected my battery. And the rear seat releases are in the trunk as well, so that was pretty good times right there. I actually now appreciate my old cavalier having the rear seat release just sitting out in the open.

So I just wanted to tell everyone my experience so far. Issue happened on 2 days ago and the closest dealers service department wasn't open till this morning so I dropped it off this morning. Guy calls an hour after I drop it off and tells me the ignition cylinder needs to be replaced. *derrr*

I then tell him about a sweet bulletin I found Document ID: 2552146
I gave him the #10256 and also the Document ID: 2552146.
At this point he tells me there are no recalls for this and it will cost me $300 to fix. I asked him to call GM to find out about the info I gave him because he might be able to find something out. Which he didn't do. So I got off the phone with GM about an hour ago and the guy found some info on the #10256 which he was able to pull up info on the ignition cylinder. I was told the district manager would contact me shortly about what they are going to do to help me out. So that's where I am now, waiting for a call about the issue, which I will post here to hopefully help people in getting it fixed.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:17 AM

Had this happen to me on a first date... I just stalled it out and left it there for the towtruck... Date went well though haha
Old 05-12-2012, 03:52 PM

Bonjour

Ecq quelqu'un pourrais me dire combien coute la piece a changer chez le concéssionaire et aussi combien de temps que le concessionaire charge pour faire la réparation. Car moi j'ai effectué moi meme la réparation. et la je viens de recevoir la lettre de rappel et il dise que je peux envoyer la facture et il vont me remboursée la piece et la main d'ouvre. J'ai quelqu'un qui peux me faire une facture mes il a besoin de détail pour la faire.

Hello

ECQ someone could tell me how much cost the piece has changed at the dealer and also how long the dealer responsible to repair. For I have done it myself repair. and I just received a reminder letter and it says that I can send the invoice and I will refund the room and manpower. I have someone who can make me my invoice he needs to do retail.

Last edited by tintim34; 05-16-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:13 AM
RHZ

Sitting at the dealership with a bill of 891.00 for the ignition cylinder and housing. Clearly my car is affected by the recall but my VIN says it's not. 2009 sstc. Working with GM customer service to try and make my VIN a recall so I don't have to pay for this ****.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just got the letter today and went to ask at the dealer and the guy told me to take it tomorrow morning and if I take it at 7am it should be ready by 5 in the afternoon?? I seen my brother change the ignition in his 06 silverado and took him 30 mins.. so I'm like huh I wonder if they wanna secretly charge me lol but the guy couldn't give me details even though I asked. He would just ignore my questions :/ I thought they'd have better customer service..
Old 07-11-2013, 10:45 PM

I never got a letter for this recall, and now I'm having the issue with my ignition. Just came across this thread when researching what happen with my car... Anyone think GM will still honor it... -_-
Old 07-11-2013, 10:53 PM

Maybe. Take it to the dealer and have them run your VIN to check. My old 2009 did this under warranty and they fixed it.

Just bought a 2009 TC again and I think the previous owner mentioned something about having this done. Taking mine in tomorrow to get some touch up paint and see if any open recalls on mine.