Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

SHOWDOWN: Pinnacle Black Onyx Gel v. Poorboy's Bold N Bright v. Optimum Tire Shine

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SHOWDOWN: Pinnacle Black Onyx Gel v. Poorboy's Bold N Bright v. Optimum Tire Shine

Hello my fellow members, I recently received sample bottles of tire dressings and thought to myself that there's no better way to compare them than in an old fashion showdown. My go to tire dressing has been Poorboy's B&B for about 9 months now and have gotten great results. As great as it is, my curiosity got me thinking how well it could compare to other tire dressings that I've heard great things about by the pro's in this great forum. Well, lets get started.

Please excuse my dirty car and wheel. I had no motivation to do a full wash on my car and was just anxious to get started with the showdown. First things first, no tire dressing touches my tires without the tire being properly cleaned. I did a thorough cleaning using Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner until white suds confirmed it was ready to go.

Dried the tire using my Metro Blaster Sidekick. It was dry in seconds.

Using painter's tape, I divided the tire into 3 sections and cut a stained but clean foam applicator into 3 pieces to make sure not to cross contaminate between dressings. This pic shows 1 coat of each dressing applied to the tire.

The following pics are 50/50 shots of the dressings. Each section of the tire has 2 coats of dressing.

I'll be updating this thread as the days go by so keep checking in if you're interested in the results.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Instant results are probably always all the same, What matters is whats left at the end of the day, two days, 3 days ect.

and does your TL have the aspec body kit?

Last edited by breds2k; 02-25-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
isnt this **** suppose to eat your tires anyway
Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by breds2k
Instant results are probably always all the same, What matters is whats left at the end of the day, two days, 3 days ect.

and does your TL have the aspec body kit?
What I'm looking for is longevity. Just thought I'd start the thread after the initial application. I'll update the thread in a few days and keep doing so until we have our first, second and third place winners. Yes, my TL has the aspec lip kit.
Originally Posted by ericgt79
isnt this **** suppose to eat your tires anyway
Negative. All these dressings are water based. There are OTC dressings that contain silicones that can harm your tires.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a 3 day update. I am not satisfied with the pictures as they don't look sharp to me. I didn't use my tripod on this set due to being in a hurry and wanted to take pics before the sun went down.

You can't really tell in the pictures but Pinnacle has the darkest gloss. In second place I have Poorboy's and not too far behind is Optimum. I was surprised to see more dust on Optimum's dressing compared to the other two. I will take better pictures tomorrow using my tripod. Honestly, all three dressings are holding up pretty well. You just can't lose with any of them.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Day 4 update! First, I'd like to say that I absolutely hate taking pictures of tires. Focusing in on them is a PITA and it seems like I can never get all the details in the rubber. I try to capture what I see with my eyes but that is hard to do for me. Nevertheless, I try my hardest to capture what I see so you guys can see for yourself which dressing is doing a better job.

I'll give you my thoughts on the three dressings so far after the pics.

Now for my thoughts on each dressing...

Pinnacle - No doubt this dressing is the shiniest on the day 4 but not the kind of shine I like. For some reason it produces a purplish shine on direct sunlight. You can see on some of the pictures what I'm talking about. No doubt it makes my tires shiny but it doesn't produce the darkness that I love.

Poorboy's - This dressing has really held the darkness on my tire. It is not shiny like the Pinnacle dressing but it is much more darker. My tire just looks clean and fresh. I don't know if my tire is just used to months and months of PB BnB since it's my go to dressing but it just seems to give it the best look so far. I'd also like to remind everyone that I did thoroughly cleaned my tire before applying all dressings.

Optimum - This dressing looked the best out of the gate. Had a great shine and darkness was definitely there. On day 4, however, it is a mixture of Pinnacle and PB. What I mean by that is, it has a hint of shine and darkness. It is the only dressing that has both qualities. The shine and darkness it produces isn't as shiny as Pinnacle and isn't as dark as the PB dressing. It meets both of them in the middle. Not sure if you can tell in the pictures but this dressing is also the dustiest out of the three.

I will continue to keep you guys updated. My next update will be on day 7 unless something awkward happens and have to take pictures.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

Day 9 update! I think this will be the conclusion of this showoff. All 3 products did a superb job but there can only be one winner. I know it can be tough to see in pictures but here is the order of what I thought looked best.

1. Poorboy's Bold N Bright (Spray)
2. Optimum Tire Shine (Spray)
3. Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel

See for yourself and you be the judge. I just think PB BnB produced the darkest black tire with a nice sheen to it. Very inexpensive and a little goes a long way. Sounds like a winner in my book. I would also like to add i drove a total of 50 miles in the 9 days and it's been sunny the entire time.

I plan on still using other tire dressings out there including the ones I already have.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice reveiw, the Poorboys seems to have the darkest shine. Looks like I'll be getting some of that this summer. All of the other tire dressings Ive used dont seem to last and attract dirt like mad!
Old 03-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
great work! i too would probably choose PB, i'm not much a fan for too much shine, prefer the darker look better. plus its always dusty in my area and i know how it loves to stick to that stuff, especially the gels.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

Glad you guys enjoyed the review. PB BnB is a great product indeed. Another advantage BnB has is it has cleaning agents inside of it so it actually can clean the tire as well. This is perfect for when I do rinseless or waterless wash. I went ahead and ordered a bottle of the Optimum Tire Shine because I was also impressed with the darkness and shine. You can never have enough tire dressings anyway.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:13 PM

Good write up, I use Adams Super VRT and it has been great for me. I am also a big fan of PoorBoy's products.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:24 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
i normally use a cheapo black magic gel. get a lot of the same results as more expensive brands.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts
Do any of these have fling off? I seem to always get that with black magic ( cheapie i know ) where i find residue spots all over the side of the car from this, even after letting the car sit overnight before moving it.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:51 PM

i seem to have good luck with gels over sprays.... the black magic stuff i used never slang down my car. i would let it sit for a few hours out in the sun and then whipe off any excess
Old 05-02-2013, 02:11 PM

The Adam's Super VRT is pretty thick and you apply it with a sponge.

Skip to 2:35 for the tire.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Prestige_Worldwide
Good write up, I use Adams Super VRT and it has been great for me. I am also a big fan of PoorBoy's products.
I've heard good things about Adam's VRT. Thanks for your input.
Originally Posted by Omiotek
i normally use a cheapo black magic gel. get a lot of the same results as more expensive brands.
I've used black magic for years before I got into detailing. I had good results with it but didn't like that I had to wait so long for it cure and not sling all over the side of my car. With better quality products they seem to dry in minutes and last longer.
Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
Do any of these have fling off? I seem to always get that with black magic ( cheapie i know ) where i find residue spots all over the side of the car from this, even after letting the car sit overnight before moving it.
Are you cleaning your tires properly before you apply any tire dressing/gel? It's something that gets overlooked quite often. To answer your question, none of the dressings sling off. They dry almost instantly. I must confess that since this review I have a new favorite tire dressing. Optimum Opti-Bond is my new favorite.
i seem to have good luck with gels over sprays.... the black magic stuff i used never slang down my car. i would let it sit for a few hours out in the sun and then whipe off any excess
Good to hear you're having success with your gels. Don't you find it annoying having to wait hours before you're able to drive you're freshly washed car?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 AM

yeah when i detail i have time for the car to sit so i dont mind it but if i were professionally doing this still i would definately take a different route. now i just do it for friends and family. detail business isnt worth it anymore. theres 21039340945823902139023 detailers in a square block and they all will beat your price even your the cheapest. unfortunately i got tired of trying to compete with the highest quality product to beat prices for cheapo people with junk
Old 05-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

yeah when i detail i have time for the car to sit so i dont mind it but if i were professionally doing this still i would definately take a different route. now i just do it for friends and family. detail business isnt worth it anymore. theres 21039340945823902139023 detailers in a square block and they all will beat your price even your the cheapest. unfortunately i got tired of trying to compete with the highest quality product to beat prices for cheapo people with junk
I know what you mean by having detailers in every corner. I don't detail as a business and just maintain my car and my wife's. Using higher end products on our cars doesn't really concern me as my wife doesn't mind paying for some orders since she loves driving around in a clean car all the time. Detailing relaxes me and is also a good workout.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:09 PM

oh i know i keep good product for my family and friends and just have some cheaper ones laying aorund for somenone on a budget. the only thing that i never ever compromise on is compounds and sealents.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Im going to snap some pics of my tires on sunday, but I plastidipped 4 layers on the side wall them used 3 layers of heavy gloss. Did that maybe 1-2 weeks ago, all I have to do is wipe them off when they are dirty with some generic cleaner and they look wet like tire shine! Basically like a permanent tire shine, I love it!
Old 05-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by breds2k
Im going to snap some pics of my tires on sunday, but I plastidipped 4 layers on the side wall them used 3 layers of heavy gloss. Did that maybe 1-2 weeks ago, all I have to do is wipe them off when they are dirty with some generic cleaner and they look wet like tire shine! Basically like a permanent tire shine, I love it!
Wouldn't plasti-dip peel off your tires easily? I'm curious to see it now.