Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

whats your typical carwash process like?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats your typical carwash process like?

just curious as to what other fellow cobalt owners do for a typical week to week car wash.

i have a pretty easy process.

1.)take the car was to the local self service carwash and spray it off with a power sprayer. hose it down with soap,take a wash mit and rub it all down and then spray it off.

2.)depending on how i feel,i will either bring it home and dry it off there,use a quick wax spray. or else,after being power sprayed off,i may bring it to a touch free car wash down the road. 8$ for the best car wash for wax and all that crap. it actually comes pretty clean.

3.)say i go to the touch carwash,ill bring it home after that,then i will wipe it down if there is any water still on it. vac out the inside of the car,trunk.

4.) spray and clean all the insides of the windows (i use stoners invisible glass,it works great)

5.)wipe down the dash,cup holders and all the door panels.

6.)wipe down all the door jams and trunk jam.

7.)wipe down and clean all the wheels. armorall the tires.

8.)look at the few imperfections like they will magically fix themselves haha

all this takes me usually 1-2 hours,depending on how dirty the bitch is before the wash.

im thinking of starting to just washing the car at home,might save a few bucks. i want to know what other people do as far as their car washing techniques and what not..
Old 05-19-2013, 10:01 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
1. Read the forecast and determine if wasting time scrubbing a daily driven car is going to provide any benefit. If so, make sure the car is in the shade and proceed to step 2.

2. Extend the hose from the reel, which often jams. Swear and violently rip the hose out of the reel as neighbors glance over. Turn the water on.

3. Blast as much dirt from the car, wheels, and undercarriage as possible.

4. Wash the wheels, wheel wells, exhaust tip, and rocker/bumper moldings.

5. Use a different wash mitt for the body of the car, wash from top down. Use 2 buckets and always rinse the mitt before dipping it back into the soap bucket.

6. Rinse with hose nozzle removed.

7. Dry paint w/ absorber. Spray tire foam on tires. Dry wheels and door/trunk jambs with microfiber towel.

8. Put **** away.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
1. Read the forecast and determine if wasting time scrubbing a daily driven car is going to provide any benefit. If so, make sure the car is in the shade and proceed to step 2.

2. Extend the hose from the reel, which often jams. Swear and violently rip the hose out of the reel box as neighbors glance over. Turn the water on.

3. Blast as much dirt from the car, wheels, and undercarriage as possible.

4. Wash the wheels, wheel wells, exhaust tip, and rocker/bumper moldings.

5. Use a different wash mitt for the body of the car, wash from top down. Use 2 buckets and always rinse the mitt before dipping it back into the soap bucket.

6. Rinse.

7. Dry paint w/ absorber. Dry wheels and door/trunk jambs with microfiber towel.

what do you use for car wash soap?
Old 05-19-2013, 10:06 PM

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts
Whatever is name-brand and the cheapest. I really like Turtle Wax Zip Wax or anything that has wax in it.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exterior:
1. Take to quarter car wash, blast the crap out of the rims inside and out to clean most of the brake dust off.
2. Then hit the rockers, fenders behind the wheels for whatever is stuck there, and the front if there's bugs.
3. Drive home, wash the car by hand, I have some turbo wax wash right now. Start at the top work toward the bottom. Always overlap areas. Do the wheels last. Never let the car dry.
4. Once the car is totally washed, dry it. I use a shammy. Super important, don't let water dry on the car paint or windows. Especially if you don't have a good wax/sealant on the paint.
5. Any bug residue on the windows, I use clay bar to clean off. Any other tar/bugs I use a citrus based bug/tar remover.
6. Back to Black/Armor All/Tire shine for all the black plastic/rubber. Chrome polish for the Exhaust tip.

That usually makes it look pretty good. I used Turbo Wax this year for the first time when I got the car out of storage and it seems to be holding up pretty good. Water spotting from rain washed right off, shine is still pretty good.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
take off paint

repaint

rinse wheels

spray wheels with wheel cleaner

scrub with wheel mitt

scrub tire with scrubber

scrub inside of wheel and fenders with another thing

rinse

_________

rinse car

spray on some soap from a spray bottle in dirty areas

fill two buckets with grit gaurds, one with water, one with PH balanced soap solution

top down wash, rinse as i go along if its hot out. keep all panels wet until i'm done.

when all rinsed, spray with a detail spray or wax as you dry spray

get my big microfiber drying towel wet, spray with some detail spray, dry car (best way minus air blaster method and water sheeting to dry)

use air compressor and air spray fitting to get into the grilles and other crevices

wipe down door jams, trunk, engine bay

do any other detailing needed (clean exhaust tip, windows, tire spray sometimes, etc)

do any necessary engine detailing, then interior, blablabla
Old 05-20-2013, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by axmonkey
Exterior:
1. Take to quarter car wash, blast the crap out of the rims inside and out to clean most of the brake dust off.
2. Then hit the rockers, fenders behind the wheels for whatever is stuck there, and the front if there's bugs.
3. Drive home, wash the car by hand, I have some turbo wax wash right now. Start at the top work toward the bottom. Always overlap areas. Do the wheels last. Never let the car dry.
4. Once the car is totally washed, dry it. I use a shammy. Super important, don't let water dry on the car paint or windows. Especially if you don't have a good wax/sealant on the paint.
5. Any bug residue on the windows, I use clay bar to clean off. Any other tar/bugs I use a citrus based bug/tar remover.
6. Back to Black/Armor All/Tire shine for all the black plastic/rubber. Chrome polish for the Exhaust tip.

That usually makes it look pretty good. I used Turbo Wax this year for the first time when I got the car out of storage and it seems to be holding up pretty good. Water spotting from rain washed right off, shine is still pretty good.
is that a paste type wax?

when it comes to waxing,i have been using liquid glass. i would really like to try out some zano (sp?) my friend uses it and swears by it.

ive been using a super cheap california blade,but not an actual cali blade. i need to get one. i cant stand water spots!

im going to clay bar and wax my windows tonight. see if that does anything.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
spray hose, wait for water come out

use a bowl of soapy water with a rag thingy, do it twice takes two times to soapy the whole car haha

spray it and dry it and do the wheels and clean the windows

worst job ever
Old 05-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 09TcSedan

is that a paste type wax?

when it comes to waxing,i have been using liquid glass. i would really like to try out some zano (sp?) my friend uses it and swears by it.

ive been using a super cheap california blade,but not an actual cali blade. i need to get one. i cant stand water spots!

im going to clay bar and wax my windows tonight. see if that does anything.
Paste wax and hand applied waxes are useless. If you want shiney paint, polish it with a d.a. Then protect it with wax, or better yet a sealant, applied by a buffer. Zanos good stuff but really its the teqnique, not the product, that gets a nice car nice.

Throw that blade away. After use one you are doing nothing but damage except ur windows. Same for a duster if you have that unless you use it correctly.

Originally Posted by DSmastery
spray hose, wait for water come out

use a bowl of soapy water with a rag thingy, do it twice takes two times to soapy the whole car haha

spray it and dry it and do the wheels and clean the windows

worst job ever
Bet its hard to stance like a boss with jacked up paint on a black car

Last edited by riceburner; 05-20-2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-20-2013, 07:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by riceburner

good point
thats what photoshops for, or i know someone who details
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by riceburner
Paste wax and hand applied waxes are useless. If you want shiney paint, polish it with a d.a. Then protect it with wax, or better yet a sealant, applied by a buffer. Zanos good stuff but really its the teqnique, not the product, that gets a nice car nice.

Throw that blade away. After use one you are doing nothing but damage except ur windows. Same for a duster if you have that unless you use it correctly.

yea,i know all about buffing and polishing. it took me about 10 hours to clay bar/compound/polish/wax my car right before i parked it for the winter. oddly enough my friend who helped me had some pretty bizzare mixture of ****. there was kerosene in it even haha and it turned out amazing.

i picked up a dewalt buffer about 2 years ago,i clay/compound/polish/wax my car usually 2 times a summer.

i keep the blade clean. working at a car wersh for 5 years. i know a thing about a thing. also learned that touch carwashes will **** your **** up after a period of time haha

****** dark colors suck ****!

these rainy ass days are driving me nuts. car is filthy!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:53 PM

I had a thread about my method not too long ago...

1) Take out power-washer and spray down car.

2) Get my two-buckets and hand-wash the car.

3) Spray down with power-washer.

4) Dry car with big ass waffle weave towels.

5) Detail Spray for all minor imperfections from wash.

If I'm going ***** to wall, step 5 is as follows...

5) Clay bar entire car.

6) Take out Porter Cable and M105/205 entire car.

7) Lay down a sealant to protect freshly cut/polished paint.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:56 PM

Rinse, wash, rinse, clean the glass, rain-x the glass, wheels & tires, wax, polish, bug & tar, the front bumper and wheels wells
Old 05-20-2013, 08:05 PM

anyone herd of the chemical guys?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:11 PM

anyone herd of the chemical guys?
Yes chemical guys is good stuff. What are you looking for? I use a wide variety of products, really don't stick to a certain brand. I have however been extremely obsessed with Infinite Use Detail Juice for detail spray. The **** is AMAZING and it's a concentrate so you get a TON! I recommend it to EVERYONE
Old 05-20-2013, 08:27 PM

well my buddy (drives a srt4) is in love with the chemical guys. i wouldnt even know where to start,id like to buy some of their stuff but no clue where to start.

i would like to try some of the buffing products. currently im using 3m compound and polish along with the pads.

i noticed that i do still have some light scratches (from the pervious owner,he must have washed the car with a handfull of rocks) so in the next month i may buff my car and would like to try some of the chemical guys stuff out.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:45 PM

I had a TON of surface scratches from my previous owner (guy was a total *******) needless to say, I have had alot of experience with a porter cable. Ive had great results with the Meguires professional line. I use their 105/205 with white/orange pads and it did wonders!

Before...

Name:  FAF602F7-E291-4496-A034-B36FB359A9AD-2028-000000A1BCFE8182_zps14e4fa32.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  216.0 KB

After...

Name:  2A1B89A9-C8A0-4E9C-A5DF-9A585E117B66-2028-000000A1CC87B10D_zps5e830a43.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  271.1 KB

Obviously that's just a small sample, but I have had great results. I recommend to go onto autogeek to look at reviews..
Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 PM

thats a pretty damn good turn around.

ive buffed the car i think 4 times now since ive had it and am still finding light sratches on the damn thing. it abosultly drives me nuts.

i think im going to order a few chemical guys buffing products and see how that goes. im always open to use new things,so i figure i could start with chemical guys and then go from there
Old 05-20-2013, 09:06 PM

the v36 and v38 are a good 2 step, followed up with a sealant.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:21 PM

hmm i see they have some pretty good package deals. ill have to do a little more research on them. some of the **** they have is kinda confusing.

like with the 3m stuff i use now. the compound is white,the pad i would use would be white also.

everything is color cooridinated,puple polish purple pad.

they have a 3 pad sampler kit. it comes with a orange,black and grey buffing pad. the v34 is a hybrid compound. the v36 would be a cutting polish. then the v38 would be a final polish.

i would like to run with that line up,but i dont think those are the pads that i would want to use with the V line up.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 PM

I use 6.5" Lake County pads, and they tell you what they are used for. Those pads can be used with ANY cut/compund/sealant/wax/detail spray or whatever
Old 05-20-2013, 09:36 PM

they have a sample pack of pads. i have a dewalt variable speed buffer.

the sample pack include:

a orange pad for swirl and scratch removal

a white pad for polishing

a black pad for fine finishing.

now would the v34,v36 and v38 work with these pads. maybe its because its monday and im dog tired,i just cant figure it out haha

since the v34 is a compound,
Old 05-20-2013, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

yea,i know all about buffing and polishing. it took me about 10 hours to clay bar/compound/polish/wax my car right before i parked it for the winter. oddly enough my friend who helped me had some pretty bizzare mixture of ****. there was kerosene in it even haha and it turned out amazing.

i picked up a dewalt buffer about 2 years ago,i clay/compound/polish/wax my car usually 2 times a summer.

i keep the blade clean. working at a car wersh for 5 years. i know a thing about a thing. also learned that touch carwashes will **** your **** up after a period of time haha

****** dark colors suck ****!

these rainy ass days are driving me nuts. car is filthy!
Oh nice sorry if i assumed anything. I call it wersh too
Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 PM

Yes the 3 V's would work with those pads, you would want to start with a Orange, then go over with White then move to like a grey/black for sealant/wax
Old 05-20-2013, 09:48 PM

haha no worries doode. sorry if i came off like a dick haha

dude,working at a car wash,thats all i called it was wersh haha

now if i could figure out these damn chemical guys pads and polishes i could plan a nice weekend to make my baby shine.

i have a intercooler,IC pipe and pedders waiting to be put on. is it bad that id rather make this bitch shine vs. putting parts on..? hahah

Quick Reply: whats your typical carwash process like?