2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Dual Pass - Option B Testimonials

Old 04-11-2008, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=CbYellowSS;2192941]
Originally Posted by Tennpenn83

QUOTE]

what h/e u using???

Only the stock one.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:24 AM

[QUOTE=Tennpenn83;2192963]
Originally Posted by CbYellowSS

Only the stock one.
hmm so if you had a stock and a aftermarket one what one would u tap the air bleed line into???
Old 04-11-2008, 10:39 AM

hmm so if you had a stock and a aftermarket one what one would u tap the air bleed line into???

Hmmm... Good question.

What I would probably do is make a split of the air bleed line and leave one line connected to the stock one and connect the other line to the aftermarket one. If it doesn't have an opening on the top, then I'd make one. Find a 1/4" threaded plug opening (bung, if you will), make a hole on the top of the aftermarket one, and carefully weld it to the top of the aftermarket one. Either that or just carefully monitor the level of air and try to fill it as best as possible.

I never thought of this question before, probably because I haven't planned on it yet.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Edubs
It's a griffen unit iirc. They also have a reworked M62 that is supposed to be more efficient.

Like I said, the best setup for a raced car, is all three. A street car can do wonders w/ a h/e and meth alone...
So i'd be able to switch out my stock one for a bigger one, and then add the 2nd h/e for the opt b?
Old 04-11-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by RuSSo-29
So i'd be able to switch out my stock one for a bigger one, and then add the 2nd h/e for the opt b?
no you keep your stock one and add an extra heat exchanger there is no way u can fit 2 aftermarket h/e without some fabbing
Old 04-11-2008, 12:19 PM

no you keep your stock one and add an extra heat exchanger there is no way u can fit 2 aftermarket h/e without some fabbing
Interesting. Well how much Fabbing? because wouldn't the added help of 2 aftermarket bigerr h/e's be a little better? Would I be able to see the diff?

Or is it even worth fabbinging up? I guess I'll just keep the stock h/e and try and get that time attack one...
Old 04-11-2008, 12:27 PM

Interesting. Well how much Fabbing? because wouldn't the added help of 2 aftermarket bigerr h/e's be a little better? Would I be able to see the diff?

Or is it even worth fabbinging up? I guess I'll just keep the stock h/e and try and get that time attack one...
stock and aftermarket wouldnt be worth the headache even for me telling you how you could do it lol
Old 04-11-2008, 12:31 PM

You don't need 2 bigger he's.... the stock one with the cobra or whatever H/E does its job just fine!

Methanol and H/E are all you really need!
Old 04-11-2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by M-Dub
You don't need 2 bigger he's.... the stock one with the cobra or whatever H/E does its job just fine!

ditto
Old 04-11-2008, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are the directions straight from the kit :

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/pdfs/sidekit.pdf

Pretty straightforward. I don't think there would be any problem running a secondary heat exchanger in tandem with the dual pass system, all you would need is a couple more hoses, possibly a fitting, but hell, you can pick that up for a buck or two at Home Depot.

Option A is the endplate and just slightly different routing of the stock tubing. You may possibly need to purchase additional hose to complete the system.

Option B... well, the pump and the heat exchanger pretty much stay where they're at, but the addition of the surge tank, replacing the endpate, and re-routing all the hoses... makes it a completely different system.

No problem. Happy to help.

A crude diagram, but here you go :

Here's the air bleed line from the surge tank :

Here's the other end of that same bleed line to the top of the heat exchanger (notice the lack of clearance) :

Dual pass with hoses. Middle one is the inlet hose, top and bottom ones are outlet hoses :

One last teaser shot :

real nice work. Dont forget to mention the .040 restrictor in the bleed line...
Old 04-11-2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by M-Dub

Well I have the Meth setup... AIS 1.5 gal trunk mount.

I have the dual pass + Opt B

And i'm going to be doing a 2nd h/e....

So the cooling is def dowm. I was just wondering, I know this stuff is "Good Enogh" but would it be worth tryin to go that extra step. From what Ive seen over the last 2 years and read, I suppose not. So i guess the +Cobra h/e will be all i'll really need. Thankx for your help m-dub = cbyellow and every 1 else.....
Old 04-11-2008, 10:43 PM

Well I have the Meth setup... AIS 1.5 gal trunk mount.

I have the dual pass + Opt B

And i'm going to be doing a 2nd h/e....

So the cooling is def dowm. I was just wondering, I know this stuff is "Good Enogh" but would it be worth tryin to go that extra step. From what Ive seen over the last 2 years and read, I suppose not. So i guess the +Cobra h/e will be all i'll really need. Thankx for your help m-dub = cbyellow and every 1 else.....
no problem
Old 04-11-2008, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by qwikredline
real nice work. Dont forget to mention the .040 restrictor in the bleed line...

Ah, you got me...

In the air bleed line, closest to the fitting to the top of the heat exchanger, about an inch up inside the hose is placed a .040" orifice, used to extract the air and to keep the fluid in the heat exchanger.

Small but important detail.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:21 PM

I'm sorry but my answer maybe in here already, but I was just going to do option a with meth and just leave the stock H/e in, any info on that would be good but I think that would work just fine.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:41 PM

Here's some more pictures of the install.

Stock single pass endplate :

New dual-pass endplate :

Got the intake manifold off and getting started with switching the laminova tubes around :

One of the two laminova tubes that needed switched around, and the intake manifold gasket :

Dual-pass endplate installed on intake manifold :

Another shot of the dual-pass installed (notice the right side, on the top of the endplate, the circle opening with a green seal - this is the boost bypass which connects to the underside of the supercharger to bleed excessive boost - make sure to line that up perfectly with reinstalling the supercharger to avoid any intake leaks) :

A shot of the laminova tube (DO NOT DAMAGE THESE DURING INSTALL!!!), the secondary surge tank, dual-pass endplate... etc. Note that I removed the engine coolant hose (the one that is positioned to go right over the supercharger). Removing that coolant hose made a lot of things easier - i.e. removing supercharger, alternator, intake manifold (yes you have to remove the alternator to gain access to the elusive 8th bolt underneath the intake manifold)

Shot of the alternator, supercharger, and intake manifold all removed. Shows location of the mysterious 8th bolt :

Supercharger removed, and with new polished 2.9" pulley installed (you can see the port where I mentioned for the boost bypass to line up to) :

BE PREPARED to get sprayed in the face with some coolant from the stubborn hoses, and try to do this when it's not 30 degrees outside. Those hoses end up shrinking due to it being cold. The biggest problem was getting some hoses off from the heat exchanger and pump, because of the high heat of the coolant going through them, some of them actually melted themselves a bit to the clamps holding them. LOTS of pulling and persuading to get them off. What finally worked was taking a long lighter and heating them up slightly so they could expand just enough to pull them off. That and a utility knife to cut them off. (hey, I had new hoses anyway...)

Originally Posted by rollingboostedss
I'm sorry but my answer maybe in here already, but I was just going to do option a with meth and just leave the stock H/e in, any info on that would be good but I think that would work just fine.
Good luck trying to get all the air out of the Option A setup. It really is a bitch. You'll be doing that for days, weeks to come.

Last edited by Tennpenn83; 04-11-2008 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-11-2008, 11:45 PM

i just want to put out there because this is a good informational thread...but a dual pass end plate with option b DOES NOT COOL UR ENGINE....alot of people in this thread are refering to this as keeping ur engine cool or cooling down ur engine and people are freaking out when there engine coolant temps are 180 and never went down after the dual pass setup
Old 04-11-2008, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Raven SS
i just want to put out there because this is a good informational thread...but a dual pass end plate with option b DOES NOT COOL UR ENGINE....alot of people in this thread are refering to this as keeping ur engine cool or cooling down ur engine and people are freaking out when there engine coolant temps are 180 and never went down after the dual pass setup
Correct, it does not cool your engine. It cools the intake charge. It does not cool as fast or effectively as meth, but it is great at giving you consistant back-to-back-to-back-to-back WOT runs. Great for a day at the track, or a night on the street.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:53 PM

is this cooling the intake air before or after the supercharger?
Old 04-11-2008, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by BeermanSSSC
is this cooling the intake air before or after the supercharger?
After...

Getting cool air before the supercharger would basically be just a cold air intake...
Old 04-11-2008, 11:58 PM

thats what i thought, just wanted to be sure cause i read a post from someone saying how we didn't have good enough ways to cool the charge after the blower w/o meth.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by BeermanSSSC
thats what i thought, just wanted to be sure cause i read a post from someone saying how we didn't have good enough ways to cool the charge after the blower w/o meth.
Well.. best (and only) options without meth to look at are the dual-pass with Option A or B, and additional heat exchanger. Then again, you could always just set a bag of ice on top of the supercharger... lol
Old 04-12-2008, 03:54 AM

Looks just about the same. There is a tad more room to work with in the Saturns.

The only thing that wasn't clear on the instructions in the kit was where to place the air bleed line, didn't say where to connect it to (actually looked like in the diagram that it was supposed to go to the intake manifold), but after looking for a minute it was clear. Only one place for it to go. I spent about 15 minutes just looking for the opening to connect it to then bam! Like a ton of bricks it hit me, top of the heat exchanger. Duh..

Oh, and in your picture, it looks like your air bleed line is running a bit close to the supercharger pulley... Any clearance issues? I ended up taking out the headlight and running it in front of the radiator support to get to the heat exchanger.
Yep, it's the same. Even same color car.

The instructions were a pain in the ars. The instructions I got said to connect the air bleed line with orofice to the intake manifold on the opposite side of where the endplate was installed. Would have made sense if there was something there to connect anything to, but there wasn't.

Pictures are decieving. That line you are seeing is actually electrical, not cooling. That was put there by GM when the car was being built. My air bleed line actually runs behind my headlight too.

BTW, I'm moving the coolant line that runs next to the fuel injectors on the 19th. With its current location it is a pain in the ars to do oil changes. I'm going to try to move it to behind the engine and reposition the surge tank to accomodate that so that the cooling doesn't have to squeeze next to the ETD.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by domin8_gt
Yep, it's the same. Even same color car.

The instructions were a pain in the ars. The instructions I got said to connect the air bleed line with orofice to the intake manifold on the opposite side of where the endplate was installed. Would have made sense if there was something there to connect anything to, but there wasn't.

Pictures are decieving. That line you are seeing is actually electrical, not cooling. That was put there by GM when the car was being built. My air bleed line actually runs behind my headlight too.

BTW, I'm moving the coolant line that runs next to the fuel injectors on the 19th. With its current location it is a pain in the ars to do oil changes. I'm going to try to move it to behind the engine and reposition the surge tank to accomodate that so that the cooling doesn't have to squeeze next to the ETD.
Ah, I gotcha.

On the Redlines, there's about an inch more clearance between the radiator support frame and the supercharger pulley. My coolant line goes right in underneath that flange of the radiator support frame. With the help of some zip ties, it doesn't move.

Trying to think of why there'd be an electrical line there on your car, I don't remember there being one there on mine... brb gotta go check. It's going to bug me now.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:03 AM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Trying to think of why there'd be an electrical line there on your car, I don't remember there being one there on mine... brb gotta go check. It's going to bug me now.

Probably goes to the front crash sensor or to the outside air temp sensor, both are mounted on the front of the radiator support.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:55 PM

anyone here using the CX racing heat exchanger? I have the dual pass +B already. Anyone know how the additional heat exchanger does on a dyno? It should add HP seeing that the computer is reading cooler IAT2 so it adjusts the timing instead of having to retard it.

any thoughts on ease of install of a cobra he vs. a cx racing he and also capacity...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dual Pass - Option B Testimonials