2.2L LAP Performance Tech 2.2L LAP Performance Tech (2009+) 155 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Gene's 2.2 LAP Supercharger Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No he's confusing the SS ones I'm pretty sure
Old 04-25-2010, 01:16 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
i'd get some OTTP or TTR tranny mounts to keep your axles alive. better to prevent spending $800 later by buying $250 in parts now. Course, being a parts dealer, i suppose OEM axles are a bit cheaper for you
I have some mounts that I got off of a Cobalt in the shop. How do I identify them? They are the silver color with red bushings. It was engine and trans mounts.

Originally Posted by Jn2
.my stock clutch was on the car for 11.5months...when i took it out after all the slippage i was gettin, the clutch disc was in baaad shape, the rivets were being ground off already...good thing i changed it....im still the process of breaking the excedy stgII in...but so far it doesnt slip at half throttle like the stock one did...i know interview had the spec stg2+ with his 2.8 and it ran good...

i'mm running the TTR poly tranny bushings, had them for quite a while, my car doesnt know what wheel hop is def recommend them
Thanks for the info. I was trying to hold off on the 2.8 because I knew it would probably totally kill my clutch. I just got the SPEC stage 2+ on Friday and they are going to install it at work for me this week. Once it is broken in I will get an updated tune (mine is acting weird) and try the 2.8 pulley. I'm a little afraid to try the 2.8 as I am already getting 15 to 15.5 lbs of boost. What are you getting on a 2.8?

Last edited by Gene Culley; 04-25-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-05-2010, 09:27 PM

Talking

Ok, so the SPEC Stage 2+ has been installed. Only drove it home 13 miles and I'm trying to take it easy on it. It seems very grabby and it shifts weird.. like it shifts easier or something.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the grabby-ness will die down a little once the clutch is broken in, but should still grab more than stock, and definitely hold a lot better.
glad you're enjoying your car gene
Old 05-06-2010, 07:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to hear man - no more clutch slippage for you!
Old 05-08-2010, 09:24 AM

Talking

the grabby-ness will die down a little once the clutch is broken in, but should still grab more than stock, and definitely hold a lot better.
glad you're enjoying your car gene
It seems a little grabby, but not as bad as I originally thought. I guess it takes some getting used to. I was having a problem with 1st and 3rd gears. When I shifted into them the shifter felt kind of funny. The car started popping out of 1st gear. Yesterday my shop adjusted the shifter and it shifts much better now and it doesn't seem to pop out of gear so far.

I can't wait to lay into it and see what holds up and what doesn't, lol. Since the clutch isn't slipping it seems to pull even harder. My commute is only 13 miles right now and on the weekends I drive the Hummer with the family so it will take me a few weeks to get up to at least 500 miles to let 'er rip.

I kind of would enjoy my car a little more if Vince could get the tune better dialed in. Ever since I installed the cold air intake he's been trying to tune for it, but the A/F ratio and the RPM's dive up and down when I'm at idle.

I'm thinking about getting the 2.8 pulley now... then getting Vince to tune me for it properly and then take it to the dyno.

Originally Posted by MP81
Good to hear man - no more clutch slippage for you!
Yes, thank you. Time for more mods since the clutch can hold it, lol.

Last edited by Gene Culley; 05-08-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-15-2010, 09:53 PM

Talking

Well, finally after a few months of having it, I installed the powder coated LSJ TB today. The one I had previously, I painted and it was flaking off all over the place. It was the only bad looking thing in my engine compartment. It is no longer the eye sore of the engine bay. Time to get back into it with Vince now to get my tune straightened out.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so have you seen some actual dyno numbers yet? I'm antsy to find out. I'm finally starting to get funding for my build and am in the process of searching for parts.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:42 AM

What's still going on with your tune, Gene? Or are you just trying to fine tune stuff?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:16 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by 07Maliboo
so have you seen some actual dyno numbers yet? I'm antsy to find out. I'm finally starting to get funding for my build and am in the process of searching for parts.
No dyno numbers yet. Had issues with my tune and clutch up until this point. I also moved in the fall and the weather got bad so I was driving the Hummer regularly.

Originally Posted by Illini_06SS
What's still going on with your tune, Gene? Or are you just trying to fine tune stuff?
Well, it pretty much goes like this.

The tune was pretty much ok until I dropped to the 2.9 pulley, IAT2 conversion and full Injen cold air intake. After all of that, I have much power, it seems, but when I am coming to a stop sometimes it will stall out. A lot of times when I am at a light the RPM's go from 500 to 900 and back down and while it is doing that the wideband is going from 10 to 16 and back down again. It shudders so much it feels like it is going to die.

Then sometimes when I stop it idles fine. Vince gave me an updated tune 3 times to fix the stalling issue, and it only seemed to get worse. He says it is the Injen CAI, but thinks he'll be able to fix it.

Not only that, but for some reason on the last couple of tunes it has messed up my A/F ratio at WOT. I had it working perfectly fine at 11.5 at WOT, but it is now at 12.0 or 12.5. I thought it was the colder weather, but even in 80 to 90 degree weather it has been at 12.0 to 12.5.

So now that I got the clutch installed, I'm wanting to get the tune finished up so I can beat it up a little bit and get a dyno.

Last edited by Gene Culley; 05-16-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-17-2010, 12:54 AM

That's strange, it doesn't seem to accommodate for the temperature like mine does...perhaps because of the fact it's taking air temp at the 2-bar MAP, rather than the MAF?
Old 05-18-2010, 01:16 AM

sorry for a random question guys! but gene, what type of blade did you use to cut the sai pieces out of your header
Old 05-20-2010, 08:35 PM

Talking

That's strange, it doesn't seem to accommodate for the temperature like mine does...perhaps because of the fact it's taking air temp at the 2-bar MAP, rather than the MAF?
I don't know what the heck is going on with it, lol. I had the A/F ratio fine and then I moved and all and it got cold. When I got in it after we had the cold temps I noticed the A/F ratio was messed up. Figured it was the temp... but it is still doing that now.

I've hooked back up with Vince and sent him my first data log in a while tonight, so hopefully we can get it fixed.

Originally Posted by BlaqkBalt
sorry for a random question guys! but gene, what type of blade did you use to cut the sai pieces out of your header
I used a rotozip with what I thought was a metal cutting blade, but looked a couple of months later and it was a masonary blade, lol. I could have probably done it better with the metal blade.

Last edited by Gene Culley; 05-20-2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-24-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
I don't know what the heck is going on with it, lol. I had the A/F ratio fine and then I moved and all and it got cold. When I got in it after we had the cold temps I noticed the A/F ratio was messed up. Figured it was the temp... but it is still doing that now.
What do you mean "messing up"?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:39 AM

not reading what it was programmed to. Gene's a bit more picky with his tune :P
I didnt mind as long as my AFR was somewhere between 11.0 and 12.5. Vince had a pretty conservative timing map for me, and i never saw knock regardless of the AFR
Old 05-24-2010, 02:40 PM

The only time I've heard knock in my car was when I, for some reason decided to go WOT when the car wasn't fully warmed up - in the winter. Otherwise, it doesn't do that.

Mine constantly changes, but it's usually in the correct range. I gotta recal my wideband though, it's about that time...
Old 05-27-2010, 09:36 PM

Talking

What do you mean "messing up"?
What I mean by messing up is that I had it at 11.2 to 11.7 previous to tuning for the cold air intake. Vince tried to get the tune going for the intake several times and that is when I noticed the A/F ratio was messed up. At stop lights the A/F ratio was bouncing from 10 to 16 and back down to 10, etc. At WOT it has been 12.0 to like 12.5

not reading what it was programmed to. Gene's a bit more picky with his tune :P
I didnt mind as long as my AFR was somewhere between 11.0 and 12.5. Vince had a pretty conservative timing map for me, and i never saw knock regardless of the AFR
I was just worried as I thought 12.5 was way too high. Vince said he preferred 11.5.

Vince sent me a new tune last night and I installed it last night and took it to work today for a spin. He said we are going back to the stock MAF settings for now. It was behaving itself with both the idle and the A/F ratio at the stop lights, but WOT is 12.0 to 12.5. I asked Vince to send me another tune with a splash of fuel and he has done so. I will test it out this weekend and log for him.

He said the previous tune I was on, that I just data logged for him, my fuel trims were all out of control... so hopefully we get it back on track.

Still can't lay into it much as I don't have only but 300 miles on the clutch right now.

Last edited by Gene Culley; 05-27-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-08-2010, 09:31 PM

Talking

Vehicle is driving much better. Vince is fine tuning it again.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Vehicle is driving much better. Vince is fine tuning it again.
I'm glad to hear that. Still running the Injen intake? I've been weary on getting the intake because of your troubles...lol.

Dyno!
Old 06-08-2010, 09:42 PM

Talking

Yes, we're making it able to exist with no problems. It is almost right where I want it now.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:12 PM

Talking

Vince has been doing a fantastic job of dialing my car in again. I've been romping on it here and there since I got the clutch broken in now. It pulls really hard. I can't wait to hit the dyno!
Old 06-26-2010, 10:29 AM

Talking

Well, going to have to pay tributes to my throttle body. After about a month of having it installed, I am having some serious throttle position issues that lead me to the throttle body. The last couple of days I have had to drive 3/4 of the way home from work with reduced engine power. Not even clearing the code with the Interceptor is helping. I got a new throttle body yesterday and I am going to install it today. Hopefully it is fixed.

Now here's my problem. I stripped down my last LSJ throttle body. I primed it and I painted it and the paint flaked off like a mother. I powder coated the new throttle body and I guess it couldn't take the oven temps. So now, I'm going to have my powder coated black Injen cold air intake going into a bare cast aluminum throttle body into my candy red powder coated supercharger. It is going to be ugly!! LOL. Perhaps I should try and paint it again and use a clear coat this time? What do you think?

P.S. Oh yeah, I thought about trying to take the powder coated throttle body apart to see if I could switch the guts? Might as well use it for a test mule before I throw it into the trash!

Say goodbye to the old throttle body!

Old 06-26-2010, 11:47 AM

maybe use red caliper paint. that stuff doesnt flake so easily.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:31 AM

What do you think went wrong in the throttle body?
Old 06-27-2010, 01:43 PM

8 pin LSJ connector.

Hi everyone i'm new here. I'm attempting to do the supercharger build on my 09 Cobalt LS. I'm 90% of the way done but i can NOT figure out how to wire the 8 pin pigtail connector with the LSJ throttle body to my cars 6 pin harness. i'm pretty sure someone may have answered this before but seem to just keep getting confused for some reason. How do i make it work. I have the ZZPerformance 2.2/2.4 supercharger kit. This is the only tough thing i have left to do. Well to me anyway. Thanks.

Last edited by BlackCobalt09; 06-27-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Gene's 2.2 LAP Supercharger Build