How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

2.0 LSJ Engine: Injen intake installed (2.0 SS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injen intake installed (2.0 SS)

Thanks to TurboTechRacing, my Injen Cold Air Intake arrived in the mail this saturday morning and I immediately went to install it. I know that many of you have already installed the intake and know how to do it, but I wanted to do a write up for those who havn't and could use some advice.

Tools Needed:
7mm socket
8mm socket
10mm socket
3/4 socket
socket wrench
flat head screwdriver
philips head screwdriver
pliers
side cutters
jack

First thing you need to do is jack up the car on the driver's side. I used the factory jack because I couldn't find my hydraulic jack. Before the tire lifts off the ground, break the lug nuts loose with the 3/4 socket. Then Jack up the car enough so the wheel is just off the ground and can move freely. Remove the lugnuts and remove the tire from the driver's side of the vehicle. Next thing you will want to do is remove the fender liner. Just a warning....the fender liner can be a pain in the but to get back in place properly! Anyway, the fender liner has I think 8 bolts that you will use the 7mm socket to remove as well as 4 or 5 plastic clips. To remove the clips, I used a pair of side cutters to lift the top piece out and then remove the entire clip from the fender liner. If you try to pull the fender liner off and it resists, chances are you missed a bolt or a clip. Be careful not to tear the fender liner (I did ). Place the fender liner aside and open the hood.

From under the hood, with the flat head screwdriver or the 8mm socket, loosen the hose clamp holding the part of the intake to the throttle body. Then loosen the hose clamp towards the fender so you can detach the first part of the intake tube. To remove the rubber hose, use a pair of pliers to squeeze the clamp together and move it away from the intake tube. Once the rubber hose is removed, the first part of the intake should pull away freely.

Back under the wheel well. Unplug the air flow sensor. Now there are three bolts holding the rest of the intake to the fender well. Use your 10mm socket to remove these three bolts. One bolt is easily visible from the wheel well. The other two bolts are on the other side of the air box assembly and you will need to crawl under the car to see them. Once these bolts are removed, the assembly should come out freely.

At this point, you should have the entire intake assembly removed from the car. Now, with a philips head screwdriver, remove the air sensor (carefully!) from the stock air box. With the supplied screws from Injen, put the air sensor in the new intake tube. Now take the coupler with the hose clamps and attach is to the throttle body under the hood. Do not tighten the hose clamps, as you will need to move it around to get it all to fit correctly.

Now, take the anti-vibration screw (the rubber piece with the washer and nut on it) and screw it on behind the fender (location should be shown in instructions). Now, take the intake tube and from in the wheel well, slide it through the opening in the fender to the engine bay. This will be a tight squeeze, so be carefull not to scratch it. I put a piece of rubber hose over the grounding screw by the headlight that everybody says scratches the intake....and it does, so be careful. Once you have it in there, take the nut/washer from the anti-vibration screw and lightly tighten it over the piece of the intake that it attaches to.

Under the hood put the intake tube into the coupler and lightly tighten the hose clamp. Now, attach the air filter to the bottom of the intake tube and tigthen the hose clamp well. Once you are comfortable with how everything fits, tighten all hose clamps and then don't forget to plug in the air sensor! Now you are done with the install and just have to put the fender liner back in and the wheel back on. Let down the car and you're ready to go!

I took a whole bunch of pictures of the install process, but I'm having some trouble getting them off of my camera (I lost the USB cable). Hopefully I will get them on here and will post up as soon as I get em. Hope this write up helped some people out.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:22 PM
360 L337 User

reads good. now if I just get my CAI i can use these
Old 01-16-2006, 12:43 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice write up! It'll be helpful for when my intake arrives.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:55 PM

Great write up man. Ishould've had my K&N on like 2 weeks ago but missing parts had delayed my installation. I'm hoping to have it back by late this week early next week. But yeah when I get it on, we can compare the two and see if they sound different which they probably won't but who knows.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:23 PM

those pics should help alot too!
Old 01-16-2006, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by R33P3R007
reads good. now if I just get my CAI i can use these
what are you waiting for!!
Old 01-16-2006, 09:10 PM

All of the parts included in the box when I opened it Saturday morning

After taking off the wheel. The red circles are where three of the 7mm bolts are. There are another 4 or 5 underneath the front bumper.

Closer picture, you can see the bolts here. Keep in mind there are also clips holding on the fender well, as well as another 7mm bolt by the side skirt.

After the fender liner came off. This is the stock airbox. You can see one of the three bolts holding it onto the car. There are two more behind it (the two red circles on the left).

Picture from underneath the car looking up at the air box from the other side. You can see one of the two bolts on this side. The other one is right above the one you can see here.

This is after removing the first part of the stock intake tube. The circled part is the grounding bolt that scratches the poop out of your new intake when trying to install it. I put a piece of rubber hose over it to prevent more scratching.

No more stock airbox!!! All gone

Restrictive piece of crap...

After the Injen CAI installed

From the wheel well. The circle on the left is the air flow sensor...be careful with this! It's fragile and delicate. On the right circle is the anti-vibration screw.

Hope these made things a little clearer!
Old 01-16-2006, 09:36 PM

Thats awsome work Rusty! Does your filter rub on your front bumper at all?
Old 01-17-2006, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by 05_Blue_B10WN_SS
Thats awsome work Rusty! Does your filter rub on your front bumper at all?
yea....very tight fit all around. that was my only dissapointment with the Injen product. other than that though, I'm very happy with the performance of it. you can definately feel a few hp gains from it and the sc whine is quite noticeable now.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:48 AM

Very cool. I think you just sold me. I havent bought one because I was afraid of the install. Thanks!!
Old 01-17-2006, 08:52 AM

install was pretty simple. only difficult part was getting the injen pipe through the fender hole without brutally scratching it.

oh yea..that and the fact that it was raining outside and about 34 degrees when I was doing it.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:44 AM

Any check engine lights yet??
Old 01-20-2006, 12:50 AM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great pics! Thanks

The dampness concerns me though, looks wet all the way to where the filter sits.

Would you be able to move the filter back on the pipe to avoid hitting the bumper?
Old 01-20-2006, 03:50 PM

if anyone is interested you can put a hydro shied over the filter, mine works great!
Available through injen(Same as K&N's dry wrap)
Old 01-20-2006, 03:55 PM

I don't believe the filters will suck air all the way up through unless they are completely submerged. This is what I read, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:59 AM

no CELs and no problems with the dampness. you can bend the pipe a little to avoid it rubbing on the bumper....which is what I am going to do today because it pops out the bumper a lil bit right now
Old 01-21-2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Gramps
I don't believe the filters will suck air all the way up through unless they are completely submerged. This is what I read, correct me if I'm wrong.
they won't suck water up unless submerged, that's right
Old 01-21-2006, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Nuclear
if anyone is interested you can put a hydro shied over the filter, mine works great!
Available through injen(Same as K&N's dry wrap)
Thanks!! I am always getting a CEL when it's been raiing or after a car wash with the bottom blast. I hope the shiled will help things.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty
no CELs and no problems with the dampness. you can bend the pipe a little to avoid it rubbing on the bumper....which is what I am going to do today because it pops out the bumper a lil bit right now
How are you going to bend the pipe? Let me know how you do this, and how it works out. My intake should be here within a week. I dont want it to rub on the bumper. Are all the Injen intakes rubbing on the front bumper?
Old 01-23-2006, 03:29 PM

a fellow member on the forum informed me that one idea was to put the rubber bushing from the anti-vibration screw on the other side of the intake. this should adjust it.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty
a fellow member on the forum informed me that one idea was to put the rubber bushing from the anti-vibration screw on the other side of the intake. this should adjust it.
On the other side of the intake? You mean put it on one of the screws closer to the front bumper behind the intake if you were looking into the wheel well from the back?
Old 02-07-2006, 10:30 PM

I was checking it out the other day, is there supposed to be like a slight oil/dirt like film on the inside ot the intake pipe? Should i try washing it out?
Old 02-08-2006, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by 05_Blue_B10WN_SS
On the other side of the intake? You mean put it on one of the screws closer to the front bumper behind the intake if you were looking into the wheel well from the back?

The circled screw on the right (the anti-vibration screw) is what I'm talking about. Put the bracket from the intake BEHIND the rubber bushing instead of in front where it sits in this picture.

As far as the dirt and oil, is this after using it I'm assuming? Always a good idea to clean it out. However, there really shouldn't be much dirt in there as the air filter should filter that stuff out.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:26 PM

ts brand new... not installed yet. I'll just flush it out really well before i install it.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:25 AM

yea, make sure there is nothing inside the tube. if there is any crap in there, it's gonna end up in your engine...be careful.

Quick Reply: 2.0 LSJ Engine: Injen intake installed (2.0 SS)