Tuning For tuning and related discussions

ZZP PCM/Tune causing SC bypass malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZZP PCM/Tune causing SC bypass malfunction?

Hello everyone. I'm having a really weird problem, and I wanted to get some opinions on this before moving forward. This is a PCM/Tune related question, but let me explain.

Last fall, I installed the ZZP Stage 3 kit along with the 3 inch CAI and 2.5 Catback Exhaust.

Included in this, was the PCM swap with the appropriate ZZP tune.
(I had to do a crankcase relearn at the dealership. I spoke to the tech and told him to ONLY do the relearn, and not just flash the PCM. No Problem)

Since the install, the supercharger has not operated correctly and will not boost past 2.5 psi.
Like it is in constant bypass mode.

I have replaced all bypass related parts. Vacuum Hoses, Bypass Solenoid, and Bypass Actuator.
When I do the bypass mod, and plug the vac line going from the solenoid to the actuator, I get full boost.

After emailing back and forth with Tim from ZZP, we're at a point where he thinks that the car isn't happy with the PCM for some reason. He wants me to return the PCM and flash another core with a new OS file.

Is this even a possibility that the PCM/OS file could cause this type of problem?
Is there anything in the OS file that specifically controls the bypass Solenoid?

Trying to get some advice before I spend a bunch on core charges, shipping, case relearns, etc.

Thank you all in advance!
Old 03-07-2017, 02:12 PM

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
I'm not a SC guy so this may sound crazy...is there a way you can force the bypass to stay shut? Like unplug it or something, then see if you can make any boost?
Old 03-07-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
^^ Yeah that's what he's talking about by the bypass mod. Disconnecting and plugging the appropriate vacuum line and manually closing the valve gives him proper boost.

How is the butterfly valve function? I'm having issues with mine now because my valve is sticky. When I changed my bypass actuator a few months back I did notice that the valve itself was sticky, I thought I freed it up, but now I'm not getting full boost, which tells me the valve isn't closing completely. Sometimes I'll get upwards of 10 psi, a few minutes later I may only get 2.

Are you getting any codes?
Old 03-07-2017, 03:18 PM

No Codes.

Yes, my butterfly valve is working properly. I took the supercharger off and visually inspected it when I replaced the bypass actuator.

I've gone through just about everything I can think of, and replaced the whole bypass system (actuator, solenoid, and vac hoses, straight from GM.)

Tim from ZZP thinks is a PCM issue. (Which controls the solenoid operation, I would assume.)

Just want to see if that's even a possibility before I go chasing down that route.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfitz
No Codes.

Yes, my butterfly valve is working properly. I took the supercharger off and visually inspected it when I replaced the bypass actuator.

I've gone through just about everything I can think of, and replaced the whole bypass system (actuator, solenoid, and vac hoses, straight from GM.)

Tim from ZZP thinks is a PCM issue. (Which controls the solenoid operation, I would assume.)

Just want to see if that's even a possibility before I go chasing down that route.
Whats the status on this? Did you get everything worked out, is it boosting properly??
Old 03-24-2017, 12:26 PM

No update yet.
Still trying to see if this is even a possible cause before I send my PCM back into ZZP.
(I'm trying to avoid additional core charges and case relearns.)
Old 03-24-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfitz
No update yet.
Still trying to see if this is even a possible cause before I send my PCM back into ZZP.
(I'm trying to avoid additional core charges and case relearns.)
hmmm... have you found other people with similar issues? What is your gut on it?
Old 03-24-2017, 12:50 PM

So far I haven't found anyone with the same issue to discuss.

There was another guy posting with the same install and the same problem a couple years ago, but has since stopped replying to the thread, and is unreachable by direct message. Never posted a solution.

My gut feeling is this:
Mechanically, everything is installed properly, and the whole bypass system is replaced with new parts.
Maybe there's some kind of fuse or relay that is connected to it? I've searched, but haven't found anything.
Only other thing I can't verify, since I've never done tuning, is that maybe there is something in the programming that controls the bypass solenoid that is incorrect. Which led me to post this thread asking about it.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:16 PM

I got my balt sc used and the guy before must have replaced only some things stock before selling. The car would spit and sputter around 4k and would peak 8 psi would never go above 8.1, I got the stage 2 and the zzp PCM and honestly man it's a completely different car. But most important it runs around 15PSi now no problems, and way better gas mileage. Wouldn't it only be 40$ to get the file flashed again? Just sharing some info hopefully it helps!