Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

car won't start. accessory works but not crank 08 TC

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car won't start. accessory works but not crank 08 TC

hi everyone !

i have an intermitent problem that i can't figure out.

Basically sometimes my car won't start. my battery is fine and my accessories work but when i try to start it doesn't crank. i can try like 25 times and nothing. then i go back the next day and boom start normally without hesitation. sometimes it works for like 8 times than boom problem come back.

anyone have an idea what it could be ?

thanks
Old 03-22-2017, 11:28 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
If you accessories turn on and it won't crank, I would suspect a clutch position switch.

I had that problem a few times but it went away. i would work the clutch pedal a few times and make sure I push it down pretty hard and it would start
Old 03-22-2017, 01:16 PM

i though that too but i try to pump it. press it hard, not hard, completely, not completely and nothing.

but it would make sense because the first time this happenned i was stuck in ice/snow and had to make a lot of fast reverse fast forward to unstuck the car and one time i missed the clutch and the car chocked. After that it wouldn't start at first but finally did after several try.

is it hard to change that sensor ?
Old 03-22-2017, 01:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by lebulbe
i though that too but i try to pump it. press it hard, not hard, completely, not completely and nothing.

but it would make sense because the first time this happenned i was stuck in ice/snow and had to make a lot of fast reverse fast forward to unstuck the car and one time i missed the clutch and the car chocked. After that it wouldn't start at first but finally did after several try.

is it hard to change that sensor ?
i had the same issue a few weeks ago with it not starting randomly over the past few months then eventually it wouldn't start at all. I was convinced it was the clutch switch but it wasn't. It ended up
being bad grounds on my starter. Check all your grounds before you change that because it's pretty difficult to get to
Old 03-22-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercharged06SS
i had the same issue a few weeks ago with it not starting randomly over the past few months then eventually it wouldn't start at all. I was convinced it was the clutch switch but it wasn't. It ended up
being bad grounds on my starter. Check all your grounds before you change that because it's pretty difficult to get to
Bad grounds is also very likely. Check the main battery cables.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Bad grounds is also very likely. Check the main battery cables.
i will check again but we put a big skrewdriver on the starter and it sparked so....
Old 03-22-2017, 05:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
i will check again but we put a big skrewdriver on the starter and it sparked so....
check all grounds
Old 03-22-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
This wouldn't verify if the grounds are good or not, just that there is positive voltage going to the starter. A voltmeter across the two posts (or positive and housing) would tell you, or just check the connections on both sides of the ground cable. If that checks, it's probably the clutch switch.

Does the solenoid click at all?
Old 03-24-2017, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by exninja
This wouldn't verify if the grounds are good or not, just that there is positive voltage going to the starter. A voltmeter across the two posts (or positive and housing) would tell you, or just check the connections on both sides of the ground cable. If that checks, it's probably the clutch switch.

Does the solenoid click at all?
no it doesn't click.