08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Possible PCM issue?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Possible PCM issue?

This issue started to happen about a month ago and is now becoming more frequent... It seems to happen when I turn thr car off to go into the store or something and come back out few minutes later and start the car.

I'll put the key in the ignition and turn to start. Except you hear two clicks and then it starts. However the fuel guage doesn't move, the rpm guage doesn't move, sometimes the tire pressure sensor will pop up on the dash or the air bag sensor alert. The majority of the time none of those alerts don't happen, I've only seen those happen once. Sometimes after a maybe 30 seconds thr guages will kick back to normal and work.. But I always turn thr car off and restart it, and everything is fine and I drive off.
Now today.. About 45 minutes ago I parked the car at target and went in.. Came back out five minutes or so later.. Turned the ignition and it did its delay start up.. But this time the car didn't actually start. The fuel guage went to its level and froze there. I could turn the key all the way off and take the key out and still nothing.. The weird part.. I went to go into the trunk to disconnect the battery but couldn't get into the trunk.. The trunk button on the dash wouldnt work, the button on my Keychain.. Even.. Even when I put the key into the trunk, the trunk wouldn't open... That was friggen odd. Get bafk into thr car and it seemed that the electrical resolved itself and I was able to start the car again like nothing happened.

Kevin had said that I needed to get another pcm anyways to try and fix an air/fuel ratio that keeps changing. So I plan on buying a new one in the next few days anyways. Kevin had me disconnect the battery and reconnect to do an entire write flash on thr pcm and it has been since doing that it has started. Now I'm in no way saying because of what Kevin had me do is causing the issue, just wondering/thinking it could be pcm related as that controls all the guages and computer stuff.. Any ideas, suggestions?
Old 03-27-2017, 04:44 PM

The trunk not opening with thr key apparently is a mechanical issue. The device must be broken since it stoll doesn't open with thr key but will open with the two other buttons.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Check the smaller wire connection onto the battery terminal. If that wire is messed up it will give you all kinds of trouble.

I'm going to assume you've had the battery tested and verified it is ok.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Also I found you have to giggle the key just right in the trunk to get it to open (phrasing)
Old 03-27-2017, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
Check the smaller wire connection onto the battery terminal. If that wire is messed up it will give you all kinds of trouble.

Nope but that actually was stop one when I get out of work tomorrow.. I'm gonna go play with, and see if the connection is loose on the terminal.
Also I found you have to giggle the key just right in the trunk to get it to open (phrasing)
Ill try this out as well.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:08 PM

The nut is really tight on the terminal but I can still spin the cable around the terminal. It Def has play in it..I'm gonna be stopping at autozone tomorrow to check my battery. The key in the trunk turns, just doesn't open it. When irs open and I turn the key I can see the mechanism work..eh oh well. Least of my problem.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:16 AM

I forgot to update this post, turns out you were right on the money! I moved the wire around, tightened it a little bit more and I have not had that issue since then..Been almost 2 weeks now! Thank you for that!