How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

2.0 LSJ Engine: Pulley Swap Howto

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pulley Swap Howto

Ok Here is a quick write up of my experience doing a pulley swap on a Cobalt SS/SC. I went from stock to 3.25.

1)remove all lines going to the blower and throttle body
-Line from the boost soleniod to the boost bypass value
-wires that plug into the sensor on top of the blower
-Line on the blower itself

2) remove the middle black section of air intake and move it outta the way.

3) removed the 4 bolts that hold the throttle body into the blower and move that out of the way

4) removed the main coolant hose that is routed over the blower snout, be careful fluid is coming out so have rags ready. Not a lot but a splash, just hold it upright and make sure it doesn't tip down and start spilling more fluid everywhere.

5) removed the belt from the blower pulley by taking tension off the belt. The tensioner is the pulley behind and under the blower pulley, I just took a wrench wrapped it in a towel and pried it down, I used a flat head screwdriver to get under the belt and slide it off the superchager pulley.

6) remove the cover plate thats over the fuel lines

7) remove the four bolts holding the blower on It should just lift strait out.

8) This involves removing the pulley, follow whatever directions you get with your pulley removal tool or have a machine shop take it off.

*Take a Break* It's been hell getting that pulley off and you need to rest up so you don't make a mistake when your putting on the new pulley, I had a beer or two.

9) This involves putting on the new pulley or in my case pulley hub. Press it on according to the direction with your tool or again have a machine shop do it.

10) Reinstalled everything, install the new pulley ring, and replace the belt, opposite of taking it off

I started up my car and heard a rattle right away, it turned out to be the ring seated a bit more on the hub after it started and I just tightened down the 4 bolts holding on the ring.

Here is a picture of the installed pulley.

Old 07-26-2005, 11:52 PM
Site Founder

How long did this take you?
Old 07-26-2005, 11:56 PM
Moderator Alumni

Well it took me maybe 3 hours to get it off and the new pulley on and back together.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice write up!

Did you go with the DUB system?
Old 07-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Moderator Alumni

Yep I got the system from SFPH.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:49 AM

Nice write up....What kinda increased boost levels are you getting? They say 2psi more...How much more power? Seat of the pants of course....Colin
Old 07-27-2005, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hot Carls R/T
Nice write up....What kinda increased boost levels are you getting? They say 2psi more...How much more power? Seat of the pants of course....Colin
That is what I want to know! Boost gauge going up past 12.5?
Old 07-27-2005, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mercury
That is what I want to know! Boost gauge going up past 12.5?

x3 Let us know Zinner And thanks for posting
Old 07-27-2005, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by ToMeGuN
x3 Let us know Zinner And thanks for posting

x4 that lets us know if we should buy it
Old 07-27-2005, 05:34 AM
Premium Member

Thumbs up

Nice write up, if you have the correct torque specs that might be of some help to other's thinking of doing this mod. Any pics of the install tool?
Old 07-27-2005, 07:46 AM

I know you probably mentioned this beore what mods are done to the car and is there anyting else that needs to be done prior to install
Old 07-27-2005, 08:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by skoshi130
I know you probably mentioned this beore what mods are done to the car and is there anyting else that needs to be done prior to install

Don't quote me on this but I think he went with colder plugs too rather than stock. At least I hope he did
Old 07-27-2005, 09:23 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zinner
Ok Here is a quick write up of my experience doing a pulley swap on a Cobalt SS/SC. I went from stock to 3.25.

1)remove all lines going to the blower and throttle body
-Line from the boost soleniod to the boost bypass value
-wires that plug into the sensor on top of the blower
-Line on the blower itself

2) remove the middle black section of air intake and move it outta the way.

3) removed the 4 bolts that hold the throttle body into the blower and move that out of the way

4) removed the main coolant hose that is routed over the blower snout, be careful fluid is coming out so have rags ready. Not a lot but a splash, just hold it upright and make sure it doesn't tip down and start spilling more fluid everywhere.

5) removed the belt from the blower pulley by taking tension off the belt. The tensioner is the pulley behind and under the blower pulley, I just took a wrench wrapped it in a towel and pried it down, I used a flat head screwdriver to get under the belt and slide it off the superchager pulley.

6) remove the cover plate thats over the fuel lines

7) remove the four bolts holding the blower on It should just lift strait out.

8) This involves removing the pulley, follow whatever directions you get with your pulley removal tool or have a machine shop take it off.

*Take a Break* It's been hell getting that pulley off and you need to rest up so you don't make a mistake when your putting on the new pulley, I had a beer or two.

9) This involves putting on the new pulley or in my case pulley hub. Press it on according to the direction with your tool or again have a machine shop do it.

10) Reinstalled everything, install the new pulley ring, and replace the belt, opposite of taking it off

I started up my car and heard a rattle right away, it turned out to be the ring seated a bit more on the hub after it started and I just tightened down the 4 bolts holding on the ring.

Here is a picture of the installed pulley.
zinner, that is a real nice How-to writeup. Keep us all posted as to your performance results.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:26 AM

cool thanks
Old 07-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Moderator Alumni

Well the boost gauge doesn't go any higher than stock (12 psi). I am starting to doubt that it will since it's driven by the computer system. However I noticed that when your at lower RPM's (2.5-3.0k) than you can hit 10 PSI pretty quickly.

I am going to do some data logging and compare it to stock runs. I have a pre dyno but it's 85 bux for every dyno run so I doubt I will be having it dyno'd anytime soon.

As far as butt dyno the car seems faster to me I have that working with the boost bypass mod that maven clued me into and so far no codes or limp mode.

I am going to get a mechanical boost gauge and hook it up so I can get some real honest readings and not via a MAP sensor which might not even be calibrated to go above 12.5psi.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:38 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well the boost gauge doesn't go any higher than stock (12 psi). I am starting to doubt that it will since it's driven by the computer system. However I noticed that when your at lower RPM's (2.5-3.0k) than you can hit 10 PSI pretty quickly.

I am going to do some data logging and compare it to stock runs. I have a pre dyno but it's 85 bux for every dyno run so I doubt I will be having it dyno'd anytime soon.

As far as butt dyno the car seems faster to me I have that working with the boost bypass mod that maven clued me into and so far no codes or limp mode.

I am going to get a mechanical boost gauge and hook it up so I can get some real honest readings and not via a MAP sensor which might not even be calibrated to go above 12.5psi.
Perhaps switching to a 3 bar MAP sensor would fix the problem?
Old 07-27-2005, 04:13 PM
Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by MarcS
Perhaps switching to a 3 bar MAP sensor would fix the problem?

I dunno much about how the engine management works however I know a LOT of about computers and chances are that the calibration for a stock 2 bar sensor and a 3 bar sensors would be different. So the reads from the sensors would be different.

I would rather have the computer think that the boost is lower than it is so it doesn't trigger any codes. So I am going to just use a mechanical gauge.

In hind sight I would have liked to see what the PSI rating was before I changed the pulley on a mechanical guage....
Old 07-27-2005, 08:50 PM

ByPass Mod

Zinner, can you let us in on the bypass mod. Fear of trouble codes is whats keeping me from doing a pulley change. Need help! thanks
Old 07-27-2005, 08:55 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by redrocket
Zinner, can you let us in on the bypass mod. Fear of trouble codes is whats keeping me from doing a pulley change. Need help! thanks
There is a thread with a how-to for the mod. Do a search, you should find it easily.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by MarcS
There is a thread with a how-to for the mod. Do a search, you should find it easily.
I just found it, thanks!!!
Old 07-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Moderator Alumni

It's at the shop right now for the exhaust and they are going to dyno it with AFR
Old 08-02-2005, 09:44 AM

Did yu have to replace the belt????? Is this something you would recommend to an average person to attempt??? Also, does it sound louder now??? the SC.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Moderator Alumni

I didn't have to replace the belt since the tensioner could take up the extra slack.

I took it to the dyno and I didn't make really any extra power, I am not sure if it's because it was so hot out (95 degrees) or if it really didn't make a difference.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:42 AM

How do you bleed air from the intercooler if you lose too much coolant?
Old 01-12-2006, 02:22 AM
Banned

Here are some additional pictures of the blower, figured I would throw them in this thread...

That is the ZZP Puller..That thing is a monster and I would def. recommend it! and at $100 US..you cant beat it!

Quick Reply: 2.0 LSJ Engine: Pulley Swap Howto