2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

The Intake Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Intake Thread

With the numerous amounts of intake threads popping up, I figured the best method to clean up the almost daily assault of intake questions would be an all encompassing "Intake Thread". So that's exactly what I'll try to accomplish here. From manufacturer claims, dyno sheets, and even YouTube videos, I'll try to include as much info as possible into this thread.
If anybody has anything they'd like to contribute to this thread, it'd be greatly appreciated and would greatly improve the quality of this thread. I am looking for the following specifically
  • Dyno Graphs
  • Installed Pictures
  • Video Clips (Preferably from YouTube)

If anyone has any of these things, please PM me and I'll be sure to post it up, and will make sure you get credit for the submission and helping out this thread.
Problem is right now, most of the video's are of off of 2.2L Cobalts, as are the dyno sheets. So again, any 2.4 specific dyno sheets and videos would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I've used some stock photo's from some supporting vendors. I hope they don't mind. As a result, and out of respect for the supporting vendors on this forum, in the "Where To Buy" section of each intake, I have only posted links to SV's. They dedicate their time and money to this forum, so if your going to buy your intake from anywhere, I'd think it'd be fair to give them your business. Also, if any SV's out there offer any of the products below and don't see themselves on the list, again, feel free to PM me and I'll get it updated ASAP.

My main hope with this thread is that this becomes great enough to become a sticky, and then the 2.4 Performance section will become devoid of redundant intake threads. Also, if anyone wants to write a short (or long) detailed write up on any of these intakes, this would be the thread to do it. I'd ask, however, that questions that related to certain intakes be posted in the already plentiful threads that exist for that purpose. I'd like this thread to remain more of an "information" thread where people can come and get real world reviews and a one stop shop for all the info relating to these intakes.

So without further ado, "The Intake Thread".

Originally Posted by CarDomain.com Product Overview & Manufacturer Claims
AEM Cold Air intakes create MORE horsepower than cheaper inferior intake systems. Only AEM intakes feature CNC mandrel-bent 6061 aluminum intake pipes that are individually tuned in both length and diameter to maximize power in each application. Every AEM intake is powder coated and has TIG-welded fittings and brackets. AEM Cold Air systems relocate the filter outside of the engine compartment for a cooler intake charge and more power over the rpm range.

Never oil your air filter again!
For filtration, AEM utilizes their new, revolutionary DRYFLOW Synthetic Filter to deliver superior filtration and equal performance compared to an oiled filter. The DRYFLOW Synthetic filter's unique non-woven polyester filter media is independently-tested to deliver 98% initial filtration efficiency (up to 99.4% cumulative efficiency). Oiled filter initial efficiency is typically 90% to 95% efficient . Plus, AEM's DRYFLOW Synthetic filter eliminates any warranty concerns on new vehicles because there is no chance of oil traveling up the inlet path and damaging the Mass Airflow (MAF) sensor. It's also much easier to clean and since you don't have to oil after cleaning (or wait for the oil to wick), service time is cut by approximately 90%! Just soap it, rinse it, shake it dry and go!

Features
  • Will NOT void your new vehicle's warranty!
  • AEM's unique non-woven filter media never needs oil — less down time between cleanings and no more chance of over-oiling
  • Dyno tested to produce maximum gain throughout the powerband
  • Only air induction systems on the market that utilize a complete hardware kit with soft mounts for a guaranteed perfect fit every time
  • Every intake system is C.A.R.B. exempt or pending exemption (50 state legal)
  • Stainless-steel, double-wound clamp and fiber-reinforced silicone couplers for unsurpassed reliability
  • A mineral reinforced plastic interior cage increases structural rigidity — it's virtually impossible to collapse! No mesh screen means no more filter damage from bumps during installation or cleaning and no corrosion damage.
  • Element is cleanable and is guaranteed for Life!
  • Manufactured and assembled in the USA

Tech Tip: To avoid the possibility of introducing water into the intake system and hydrolocking your engine, the use of the AEM Air Bypass Valve is highly recommended.

No dyno graphs available. If you wish to submit one, please PM me.

No Videos To This Date.

Modern Performance
Cobalt Performance Parts
TurboTechRacing

Originally Posted by Fujita Official Manufacturer Description

COLD AIR INTAKE SYSTEMS
A Cold Air Intake is traditionally longer and in most cases extended behind the bumper cover so that it can ingest direct air that is both cooler and denser. In addition to more direct air, the longer plenum achieves higher torque gains as well as impressive horsepower figures. Depending on the complexity of the plenum route, the Fujita Cold Air Intake may come as a 1 piece or 2 piece intake system. Different diameters, filters, and bends are all key factors of the R&D process of each Cold Air Intake. The in-house Dynojet is the final judge of which intake configuration will make it to production. Air/Fuel ratios are also an important factor in testing the Cold Air Intake, ensuring that safe and near factory levels are maintained in order to not trip any electronic sensors on the vehicle.

Features
  • Each Fujita intake system is made with 6061 T6 Aluminum Alloy. After each application is bent and inspected, we polish it for an extremely bright finish.
  • Carbon Plated T-bolt Clamps are used in our applications due to their strength and reliability. All of our T-bolt Clamps either meet or exceed the SAE Spec. J1508.
  • CNC machined air mass sensor fittings are used to ensure proper air/fuel ratios throughout the power curve. Each sensor is carefully engineered for accuracy.
  • We use Hose Techniques® Silicone Hose w/ Dupont Nomex reinforcement to provide stability during both extreme hot and cold conditions, -65°F(-54°C) to +500°F (+260°C)
  • TIG Welded brackets are used in conjunction with Rubber Vibration Mount Dampening to stabilize the intake system from unwanted stress during load.
  • Each Fujita Intake System comes with a Super Flow High Performance Air Filter™ designed to maximize efficiency without compensating air filtration.

Fujita Official Dyno Graph

No Videos As Of This Date

Cobalt Addiction
TurboTechRacing

Last edited by Gturismo1; 08-18-2007 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Added Vendor Info
Old 08-18-2007, 11:44 AM

No manufacturer literature exists as of yet. If someone is willing to write a short description or knows of a feature list of this intake, please PM me

Dyno Graph (Courtesy LewiSS)

GMPP Intake on a 2.2
GMPP Intake & Performance Exhaust on a 2.2

Crate Engine Depot

Originally Posted by CarDomain.com Product Overview & Manufacturer Claims
The Injen Technology intake system is a high-performance, dyno-proven system made of CNC mandrel bent 6061 T-6 aluminum alloy. Each intake is carefully engineered for a perfect fit and superior performance. Many other intakes on the market are made of only 3.00" diameter tubes. This may cause friction between the battery and the intake system, dented hoods, or an unbalanced air fuel ratio, which can be harmful to your engine. Injen Technology has taken extra measures to ensure that consumers get exactly what they paid for: Optimum throttle response. Injen Technologies has in-house capabilities for bending 2.25", 2.50", 2.75", and 3.00" diameter tubes on various bend radii.

The SP series from Injen also incorporates MR Technology, an Injen exclusive that stabilizes the vehicles air-fuel ratio and tunes the intake to be within safe factory limits of performance. Injen tests and tunes every intake for optimal performance. With MR Technology, they take the tuning stage one step further. Typically, vehicles that require MAF sensors have had to simply bolt their MAF sensor onto the aftermarket intake housing. This made for a simple installation, but it changed the diameter of piping where air flowed past the sensor, changing the characteristics of the air to fuel ratio the MAF expected to see. This could lead to unstable or lean air/fuel mixtures which can damage high-horsepower or high-performance engines. Injen has carefully tested and tuned their intakes with MR Technology to offer the most stable balance between horsepower and safe operating parameters by changing the diameter of the sensor piping where necessary.

Injen polishes or powder coats every intake for those who are conscious of aesthetics along with horsepower gain. With the use of 1/4" thick 6061 T-6 aluminum and precise CNC machined brackets and adapters, you are guaranteed an exact fit every time. Every Injen air filter is made from highly resistant urethane rubber and comes with a unique built-in velocity stack to smooth the incoming air. A four-ply cotton gauze element filters out harmful particles. Not only does Injen dedicate themselves to making precisely crafted intakes, they also back it with a limited lifetime warranty to ensure a quality intake for years to come.

Features
  • CNC Mandrel Bent 6061 T-6 Aluminum Aerospace Alloy Construction
  • TIG Welded Vacuum Fittings and Brackets for a Precision Fit
  • MR Technology for Improved Air/Fuel Ratio Stability
  • Injen Urethane Filter with Built-In Velocity Stack for Maximized Air Flow
  • All Intakes Are CARB Certified, or Are Currently Pending
  • Rubber Vibra-Mount To Eliminate Damage Due To Engine Torque
  • Stainless Steel Clamps
  • Converts To Short Ram

Dyno Sheet Courtesy Injen (2.2 Test Car)

Dyno Run
Cobalt SS 2.4 with Injen CAI
06' Cobalt SS 2.4L w/ Injen Intake
Cobalt 0-60 Run

Cobalt Addiction
Modern Performance

TurboTechRacing
Cobalt Performance Parts
NGA Motorsports
UltraRev Inc.

Last edited by Gturismo1; 08-25-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by K&N Official Description
Built for performance and show, the Typhoon™ Air Intake System is a free-flowing mandrel-bent aluminum tube induction system designed to fit many sport compact performance vehicles. Typhoon intakes come in one of three designs; cold air intakes (CA), short ram intakes (SR), or complete cold air (CCA) intakes which can be configured as either a cold air intake or a short ram intake. Some Typhoon's have high quality finish options including polished aluminum (part ends with TP), powder coated blue (part ends in TB), powder coated red (part ends in TR), and powder coated silver (ends in TS) among others. K&N intake systems replace your vehicle's restrictive factory air filter and air intake housing. K&N intakes are designed to dramatically reduce intake restriction allowing more air flow to your engine. More air means more usable power and acceleration throughout the engine's RPM range.

69-4517TTK Product Specifications
  • Product Style: 69 Series Typhoon Kits
  • Estimated Horsepower Gain: 15.94 HP @ 5900 RPM
  • Color: Textured Black
  • Replacement Filter: RU-5147
  • CARB Exempt: No
  • System Type: Short-ram intake system
  • Weight: 7.9 lb (3.6 kg)
  • Product Box Length: 19.3 in (490 mm)
  • Product Box Width: 14.5 in (368 mm)
  • Product Box Height: 8.4 in (213 mm)

Install Pictures (Courtesty CSM Huber)

Official K&N Dyno Sheet (PDF)

Cobalt SS/NA with K&N Typhoon Intake

Cobalt Performance Parts
TurboTechRacing

Originally Posted by WeaponR Official Website
The Secret Weapon Intake was designed, to increase air intake volume to the engine. The concept is to create two different air velocity profiles, one traveling at higher speeds than the other. This technology increases air volume and speed to the engine, which naturally feeds the engine 3x more air than the conventional air intake system. The intake pipe is bent out of high quality 6061 Aluminum on our Automated CNC mandrel bender. Polished to a high show quality finish. The SW1 Air filter features a tuned velocity stack to increase velocity and decrease turbulence. Only Comes In Polished. 1 Million Mile Limited Warranty Open pore high density re-usable foam Over 250 applications for Car’s / Trucks / SUV’s

2.2 Chevy Cobalt LS Soundclips
2.2 Chevy Cobalt LS Soundclips 2
2.2 Chevy Cobalt LS Soundclips 3

No Supporting Vendors
Google Search

Last edited by Gturismo1; 08-28-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:23 PM

*edited for a stupid comment

Last edited by 24SSNighthawk; 08-20-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:24 PM

Holy **** you put alot of time into this! I say this needs to be a sticky.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Z-Spec Catalog Description from Official Website
Comes complete with all clamps, adapters, 3" polished aluminum pipe and K&N cone filter.

No Supporting Vendors
Z-Spec Manufacturer Direct

Originally Posted by Rebel AutoWorxs Description From Group Buy Thread
2.4L Cold Air Intake

- Full 3" Stainless Steel Piping
- Filter located below headlight for maximum cold air
- Polished finished

Now we take it even further with HP Tuners logs, just take a look.

Results:

Stock:

Air Intake Temperature 84*F after the run
Air Flow 16.37 lb/min
Engine Coolant Temperature 199*F

With Rebel Intake:

Air Intake Temperature 75*F after the run
Air Flow 17.74 lb/min
Engine Coolant Temperature 187*F

We approx. a gain of 15WHP and 10WTQ

Rebel AutoWorxs GB Thread

Special Thanks
WhiteSSBalt (Supplying Missing Information)
TurboTechRacing (Supplying Vendor Information)
LewiSS (Providing Dyno Graph)
CSM Huber (Providing Install Pictures For K&N Typhoon)

Last edited by Gturismo1; 08-28-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:45 PM

Great job on gathering the information. This is a really great thread.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Not a Sebring

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You forgot the Weapon-R secret weapon and the RSM Racing/Z-spec short ram.

Just thought I'd contribute.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteSSBalt
You forgot the Weapon-R secret weapon and the RSM Racing/Z-spec short ram.

Just thought I'd contribute.
Happen to have the links for those? I'd be happy to put them up
Old 08-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Former Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Good job.

BTW we also sell the AEM and Fujita brand intakes.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Not a Sebring

Originally Posted by Gturismo1
Happen to have the links for those? I'd be happy to put them up
I see you already took care of the Weapon-R, and the Z-spec (formerly RSM Racing) intake can be found on www.z-spec.com.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:54 AM

Good work! And needed too.... When you are new to the forum, finding the right info for 2.4L NA Intake isn't easy. Since the 2.4L Continuous VVT is very different from the 2.2 cam, the 2.4L NA air flow requirements (and HP gain potentials) are not met with induction systems engineered for a compromise cam.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by CSM Huber
Good work! And needed too.... When you are new to the forum, finding the right info for 2.4L NA Intake isn't easy. Since the 2.4L Continuous VVT is very different from the 2.2 cam, the 2.4L NA air flow requirements (and HP gain potentials) are not met with induction systems engineered for a compromise cam.
That is the biggest problem I've found. Most of the intakes above are for a 2.2, but they fit the 2.4. The K&N is the only one that was specifically engineered for the 2.4. Hopefully, we'll start seeing some more 2.4 specific intakes in the near future. That isn't saying that the other intakes aren't as good, quite the opposite, many people have reported great gains with a 2.2 engineered intake
Old 08-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Not a Sebring

That is the biggest problem I've found. Most of the intakes above are for a 2.2, but they fit the 2.4. The K&N is the only one that was specifically engineered for the 2.4. Hopefully, we'll start seeing some more 2.4 specific intakes in the near future. That isn't saying that the other intakes aren't as good, quite the opposite, many people have reported great gains with a 2.2 engineered intake
Once the 2.4 specific K&N came out, I was sold. Finally, an intake engineered specifically for the 2.4 from a very reputable brand! JRanger will be taking my AEM 2.2 CAI off my hands later this month when I order my K&N! Not to say my AEM hasn't been good to me, but I'm gonna have it dyno tuned with HP Tuners + injector swap soon, so I'm trying to optimize my engines potential as much as possible, so I figure having a 2.4 specific intake might help in doing so. Plus, I really wanna switch to a SRI as my little 'balt is my daily driver (26K since new in Oct '06) and I drive it through heavy rain, snow, etc etc.

Btw, where's the Z-Spec intake?! No ones rocking that intake it seems, so we really need to list it on this thread and open peoples eyes to it. I'm sure a lot of people don't know it exists. Z-spec also sells a pulley, brake kit, strut bar, hood and a trunk for our cars.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:53 PM

Fujita nets a whole 2 hp GJ fujita i can net more than that with a peice of dryer hose and a Brand X cone filter.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Not a Sebring

Originally Posted by Evil C
Fujita nets a whole 2 hp GJ fujita i can net more than that with a peice of dryer hose and a Brand X cone filter.
Lol, yeah but Fujita is badass for most other cars. I will agree that their 2.2/2.4 intake isn't too great though.....it dosent even replace the top portion of that intake that connects to the throttle body, lol. However, my girlfriend has a Fujita CAI on her '05 Tiburon V6, and that thing is badass. Looks sick under her hood, its louder than her Tanabe twin hyper medallion cat-back, and really makes her engine come alive.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:49 PM

Btw, where's the Z-Spec intake?! No ones rocking that intake it seems, so we really need to list it on this thread and open peoples eyes to it. I'm sure a lot of people don't know it exists. Z-spec also sells a pulley, brake kit, strut bar, hood and a trunk for our cars.
I'll try to get it up ASAP. I'm still wondering if their intake has a bung in it for reconnecting the MAF sensor. From the picture on their website, it doesn't seem like it does.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Not a Sebring

I'll try to get it up ASAP. I'm still wondering if their intake has a bung in it for reconnecting the MAF sensor. From the picture on their website, it doesn't seem like it does.
Hmm, not sure. I'd imagine they would make a fully functional though as they are very reputable among many GM groups, especially among Cadillac enthusiasts. And throwing "just any old part" on a Caddy dosent seem likely, so I'm sure that their Cobalt parts are legit too. Either way, I'd put it up as this is the intake thread, and people should know all their options. Hech, maybe someone will see it on the thread and actually buy it, install it and give a review on it, as I've never really heard anything about a 'balt driver using this intake.

btw, for anyone wonder what the Z-spec intake looks like, heres a pic off of their website installed: http://www.z-spec.com/Chevrolet_Imag..._Induction.JPG

Last edited by WhiteSSBalt; 08-19-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:42 PM

Just added the Z-Spec to the list, apparently the forum has a 16 image per post look, so i had to edit one of my previous posts further down the list. It was either that or lose the images, and hell if I was going to do that.

Gotta keep a little style in the 2.4 Section
Old 08-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Not a Sebring

Just added the Z-Spec to the list, apparently the forum has a 16 image per post look, so i had to edit one of my previous posts further down the list. It was either that or lose the images, and hell if I was going to do that.

Gotta keep a little style in the 2.4 Section
I was getting ready to say the thread is complete now, until I realized we completely forgot about the new Rebel Autoworkz 3" CAI that released about a month back specifically for the 2.4SS. Add that and then your done, I promise! lol. Well, unless you count the e-bay intakes.......but lets not, lol.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:55 PM

I was getting ready to say the thread is complete now, until I realized we completely forgot about the new Rebel Autoworkz 3" CAI that released about a month back specifically for the 2.4SS. Add that and then your done, I promise! lol. Well, unless you count the e-bay intakes.......but lets not, lol.
Damnit, just when I though it was done. Well, I'll work on getting it up for tomorrow, for now, I'm calling it a day
Old 08-20-2007, 12:19 AM

Nice. I like the detail you put into this. The lil guy and shopping cart in the Where to Buy banner is sweet.

+rep
Old 08-20-2007, 08:32 PM

nice post

anyone with a 2.4 vid of the GMPP?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:51 AM

GMPP Intake Dyno Numbers

Click on the link in my signature (GMPP Intake Dyno Numbers) for my dyno sheets for a GMPP on a 2.4 Auto with functional through-hood ram air. We ran it with the stock intake, the GMPP intake without the scoop, and the GMPP with the scoop open and functional. You can link these sheets to your post.

I'm not sure if anyone was making a video when I ran (Rockymountainecotec club was all running that day). I will check - there may be one posted on their site.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Not a Sebring

Originally Posted by LewiSS
Click on the link in my signature (GMPP Intake Dyno Numbers) for my dyno sheets for a GMPP on a 2.4 Auto with functional through-hood ram air. We ran it with the stock intake, the GMPP intake without the scoop, and the GMPP with the scoop open and functional. You can link these sheets to your post.

I'm not sure if anyone was making a video when I ran (Rockymountainecotec club was all running that day). I will check - there may be one posted on their site.
You sold your Cobalt?? I thought you were planning on running the Alpine turbo kit. What happened?

Quick Reply: The Intake Thread