Tuning For tuning and related discussions

Jet Performance Chip Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jet Performance Chip Questions

Well guys, As many of you know, I have been in contact with Jet performance about the tuning chip they offer. Although it seems promising, there are still alot of questions to ask. I was thinking we would start a new list of questions here so I could propose it to them directly on behalf of the website. the more detailed we get, the better response we will receive.

Here is the original thread:

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/tuning-131/jet-performance-products-cobalts-79490/

Here is the link to the website:

http://www.jetchip.com/products.asp?...odel=2562#2562

First few questions:

Can we see Dyno sheets for all 3 models and both chips (stage 1 and stage 2)? There are alot of hoaxes and fakes out there and we just want to be 110% about this product before we go out and spend $330.

What effect with this have on a tuned Cobalt? How about a Stage 2?

With the new setup for the 2.4vvti ecotec,can this be customed tuned before ordering or do we only get it in the two stages they offer.?

I noticed they have a chip for a 2.0. My car has been tuned but I would be interested to find out if this would effect my tune. Would I see gains on top of the HP and Torque I already or will it adjust my existing tune and see nothing at all. I run 94 octane all the time and I have all the required modifications.

Does the SAI (Secondary Air Injection for emissions) on 06 and 07 2.2's effect the performance of this product?

Why do we need a higher octane and a different thermostat? What exactly is the cause of this?

Why doesn't the product support the cobalt 2.2 2005 model but it supports the cobalt 2.2 2006 when both have the same ecu ?

Lets add some more and I will send it to them by the end of the week. This chip seems to have some promise for us 2.2 guys, but I sure as hell want some more details. Hopefully some of you real knowledgeable guys that know about tuning (**cough cough** Sw4y and AcidAngel **cough cough**) will ask some real good ones.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------First E-mail has been sent including the questions above---------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting a new list of questions for follow up.

Is there a stage 3 transmission tune, known as "power shifts" in other models, for our models?

Last edited by OrngBalt; 10-18-2007 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Questions added
Old 10-16-2007, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know jet makes some good products,so I ask this:With the new setup for the 2.4vvti ecotec,can this be customed tuned before ordering or do we only get it in the two stages they offer.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by g5mike
i know jet makes some good products,so I ask this:With the new setup for the 2.4vvti ecotec,can this be customed tuned before ordering or do we only get it in the two stages they offer.
there is a custom tuning section to their website.... but that is a great start.... ill ask and see if i can get more details
Old 10-16-2007, 04:00 PM

Subscribed, and if you don't mind possibly getting some more figures on the 2.4 also....
Old 10-16-2007, 04:07 PM

I noticed they have a chip for a 2.0. My car has been tuned but would be interested to find out if this would effect my tune. Would I see gains on top of the HP and Torque I already or will it adjust my existing tune and see nothing at all. I run 94 octane all the time and as you can see from my sig I have al the required mods.

Interesting and subscribed.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:08 PM

maybe ask if the 06 2.2's with air injection are ok to use this product.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kaisoboy
I noticed they have a chip for a 2.0. My car has been tuned but would be interested to find out if this would effect my tune. Would I see gains on top of the HP and Torque I already or will it adjust my existing tune and see nothing at all. I run 94 octane all the time and as you can see from my sig I have al the required mods.

Interesting and subscribed.
Well from the info we have gathered so far it runs off the stock tune and over rides all other tunes you have done, so might wanna either get a doner ECU out of a totaled SS/SC or try your luck but he is gathering more info on what it will do, but as of now I don't think it will erase any aftermarket tunes you have made.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:26 PM

Questions update.... SAI should not be a factor, but I will ask anyway just to be thorough
Old 10-16-2007, 04:35 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Viper33884
Well from the info we have gathered so far it runs off the stock tune and over rides all other tunes you have done, so might wanna either get a doner ECU out of a totaled SS/SC or try your luck but he is gathering more info on what it will do, but as of now I don't think it will erase any aftermarket tunes you have made.
Now thats where it gets confusing. they state that they have stage 1 and 2 tunes. What does that mean? so if i have stage 2 and revert my tune back to a stock stage 2 then add this chip am I basically going to see the same gains from a stock stage 2 because it bypasses the PCM? it would be interesting to see what gains i would receive on a dyno. I would not purchase this product unless there was more of an explanation of how it works and proven dyno runs. a stock GM stage 2 tune and upgrade with exhaust and a CIA will give roughly 245 whp on a dyno jet. I roughly run 255-265 with my HP-tuners tune. It also sounds like if you have a tune in no matter what it is this chip reads your pcm and makes the required adjustments to your A/F low/high octane tables, timing etc. So from this you in all theory should see better gains from a stock or a stock stage 2 tune because it bypasses the PCM.

still interested
Old 10-16-2007, 04:44 PM

I am curious to hear some information on this as well. I would like to see what results they have for the LSJ.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:38 PM

I don't see why you would need higher octane and a lower thermostat with just an intake and a cat-back.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kaisoboy
Now thats where it gets confusing. they state that they have stage 1 and 2 tunes. What does that mean? so if i have stage 2 and revert my tune back to a stock stage 2 then add this chip am I basically going to see the same gains from a stock stage 2 because it bypasses the PCM? it would be interesting to see what gains i would receive on a dyno. I would not purchase this product unless there was more of an explanation of how it works and proven dyno runs. a stock GM stage 2 tune and upgrade with exhaust and a CIA will give roughly 245 whp on a dyno jet. I roughly run 255-265 with my HP-tuners tune. It also sounds like if you have a tune in no matter what it is this chip reads your pcm and makes the required adjustments to your A/F low/high octane tables, timing etc. So from this you in all theory should see better gains from a stock or a stock stage 2 tune because it bypasses the PCM.

still interested
Well things are still iffy with me also, from what I have read stage 1 I believe is only adding more amps to the coils in your injectors, and stage 2 is possibly more but runs hotter??? Now this is all my opinion.

Originally Posted by 07lsdh
I don't see why you would need higher octane and a lower thermostat with just an intake and a cat-back.
And higher octane gas burns cooler and the different thermostat is for cooler running temps because your adding more fuel which runs hotter intern but the higher octane helps lower the temps, kinda hard to explain I guess???
Old 10-16-2007, 06:29 PM

Do I have to buy a different thermostat? and so where and how much?I really liked their product on my last car and want to go this route,hella lot cheaper than going to a dyno and having HPT done.But at the same time I really need the injector and harness swap done cause the cams have me maxed out.

i really cant see needing this either,many members have vector and HPT tunes and did not need another thermostat.

Last edited by g5mike; 10-16-2007 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-16-2007, 07:16 PM

My guess on the Thermostat is that to make more power, you reduce the amount of fuel to increase the air to fuel ratio and increase timing. Doing both of these will increase the amount of heat that the motor creates.

On higher octane fuel, to reduce the chance of knocking, you increase the octane of the fuel.

I hope this will help out and if I made any mistakes, please correct me.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:58 PM

I'd like to know when the 2.4L GM Performance Modules will be available since the discount auto store quoted "six to eight weeks before the product would be available for shipment".
Old 10-16-2007, 08:08 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
These are piggy back modules, which won't provide you with the real tune you guys are looking for. Does thing retail for $320? If so, THE 2.0 Guys should just get the GM stage 3 pcm $388.57, it carries the GM stage 2 tune plus it has lots more features!!

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...PCMs-C222.aspx

I have the JET stage 2 chip that I got on e-bay for my trailblazer. I got it for $100 bucks, I wanted to see what it could do. It helped a little at the high RPM's, so in my opinon, it was worth the $100, definetly not $240.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by CSM Huber
I'd like to know when the 2.4L GM Performance Modules will be available since the discount auto store quoted "six to eight weeks before the product would be available for shipment".
I have the feeling the answer to this would be the standard "they are in stock and ready to ship directly from jet as soon as an order is received.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by refuge4
My guess on the Thermostat is that to make more power, you reduce the amount of fuel to increase the air to fuel ratio and increase timing. Doing both of these will increase the amount of heat that the motor creates.

On higher octane fuel, to reduce the chance of knocking, you increase the octane of the fuel.

I hope this will help out and if I made any mistakes, please correct me.
helps me some thanks!! just need to price and locate this thermostat.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:08 PM

tagged. whats their site ?

this looks just like the vector tune. atleast the one guy on here got just the vector tune and an intake and ran a 15.0.. he has slips and #s to prove that.. and that was $350

Last edited by fbaero10; 10-16-2007 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-16-2007, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by fbaero10
tagged. whats their site ?

this looks just like the vector tune. atleast the one guy on here got just the vector tune and an intake and ran a 15.0.. he has slips and #s to prove that.. and that was $350
I like this do to its removable factor and you can resell it too.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:09 AM

I read this off of Jet's website:

Stage 1-For stock or mildly modified vehicles. Fuel and timing curves are modified for optimal performance and mileage using less expensive, lower octane fuels. Programming is designed to burn fuel at peak efficiency, which results in improved performance and mileage. Daily drivers can use lower cost regular fuel for potential mileage gains, but for optimal performance gains use of mid-grade or better is recommended.

Stage 2-Designed for the performance enthusiast, the Stage 2 features more aggressive programming to make the most horsepower and torque available. Fuel and timing curves are extensively modified for peak performance and drivability. Requires use of 91 octane fuel, 180 degree thermostat and free flow exhaust. Also works well with aftermarket intake systems, mass air sensors, TBI spacers, etc.

I would like to know what they consider mildly modified for the stage 1 and whether pinging might occur under harsh excelleration with 87 octane as they suggest 89 or higher.

For the stage 2 it just says to have a free flow exhaust, could it be just a catback?
Or do they want a complete exhaust with cat, downpipe and header?
The rest of it speaks for itself.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:20 AM

And higher octane gas burns cooler and the different thermostat is for cooler running temps because your adding more fuel which runs hotter intern but the higher octane helps lower the temps, kinda hard to explain I guess???[/QUOTE]

But wouldn't you consider an intake and a cat-back a mildly modded engine like it is stated in the stage one? When i think of heavily modified engines, bigger cams, different heads, higher flow injectors, upped compression ratio and forced induction; not just basic bolt-ons.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:37 AM

I have a question Why doesnt the product support the cobalt 2.2 2005 model but it supports the cobalt 2.2 2006 when both are same including the ecu ?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:53 AM

Morning Bump.... Questions Added
Old 10-17-2007, 10:29 AM

But wouldn't you consider an intake and a cat-back a mildly modded engine like it is stated in the stage one? When i think of heavily modified engines, bigger cams, different heads, higher flow injectors, upped compression ratio and forced induction; not just basic bolt-ons.
Well you small bolt on's are mild mods and like you said those other mods are heavily mods.....but not sure what this has to do with my post? I mean no one has tried this product yea and for what it might do might suprise you alot, from what they say for the Stage 2 gives you what 15+ hp with only 3 basic bolt on's plus an added lower temo thermostat, trufuly for our light weight cars you really can't beat it, and like others have said in this post and the other starting post you can take it off like nothing even happened and have an update flash or if something happens I'm pretty sure it doesn't leave a log in the ECU....so if I had the extra money to spend I would probably try it out but the new thermostat will kill me, their not cheap...

Quick Reply: Jet Performance Chip Questions