Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Base Model Suspension coil-overs vs struts

Old 02-02-2017, 01:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Base Model Suspension coil-overs vs struts

I have had Tein S tech springs on stock struts and shocks for a long time now and I have loved them. One of the best things I ever did to my cobalt when it comes to handling. My rear shocks have started leaking and my old tired cobalt is actually tip toeing into budget built "race car" territory. I've heard arguments for coil-overs and some for struts. If handling is my ultimate goal is there anything a Coil-over will offer me that Koni Yellows won't other than the obvious thing of height adjust-ability. I feel like I already know the answer to this but I was hoping to have some people offer up their opinions.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:29 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
There is no cost effective, over the counter coilovers for our cars that improve handling.

The only upgrade available are yyz springs.

Not sure of FE5 struts and shocks work on base models. But that's just cause I don't care.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:34 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by cluelessk
Not sure of FE5 struts and shocks work on base models. But that's just cause I don't care.
they do
The following users liked this post:
08_Slowbalt (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
they do
I know the FE5 struts would be an upgrade over what I have but I'm not seeing a ton of price difference between the Koni inserts and some new aftermarket FE5 struts. After seeing SS cobalt owners praise the Koni inserts I believe this will be the route I go. My cost on NAPA LE5 struts is about $100-$120 and if I can get inserts for $160 that will be the route that I go. I appreciate the input.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by 08_Slowbalt
I know the FE5 struts would be an upgrade over what I have but I'm not seeing a ton of price difference between the Koni inserts and some new aftermarket FE5 struts. After seeing SS cobalt owners praise the Koni inserts I believe this will be the route I go. My cost on NAPA LE5 struts is about $100-$120 and if I can get inserts for $160 that will be the route that I go. I appreciate the input.
If you want to improve your handling you should replace both the springs and the struts. This is a really good package if you keep in mind that quality performance parts aren't cheap. Cobalt Fe5-Yyz Strut,Shock,Spring Plug And Play System Fe5Yyz These YYZ springs with FE5 struts will totally transform your ride. I have swapped out from the FE5 struts in the rear to Konis and honestly it wasn't that noticeable of a difference to me and I autocross the car. So along that line I also have some very briefly used FE5 rear shocks if you would be interested in buying them.

I would also recommend front alloy TC Cobalt FE5 control arms with spherical trailing bushings but that isn't a cheap upgrade either but again makes a huge difference taking a lot of slop out of the front wheels in hard corners from the stock voided bushing deflecting.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:37 PM

There is no cost effective, over the counter coilovers for our cars that improve handling.

Man what is your deal against base models? lol Tired of all us plebs driving around giving SS owners a bad name?
Old 02-02-2017, 07:00 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
Man what is your deal against base models? lol Tired of all us plebs driving around giving SS owners a bad name?
It's something that really doesn't matter to me. So I don't care to learn about them and the parts that work on them.

And yup for the most part base guys, and sport guys give us a terrible reputations. Also please stop putting high rise wings on your cars.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Once again some constructive comments from the peanut gallery.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:21 AM

It's something that really doesn't matter to me. So I don't care to learn about them and the parts that work on them.

And yup for the most part base guys, and sport guys give us a terrible reputations. Also please stop putting high rise wings on your cars.
I'm not a fan of those high rise wings on any Cobalt personally. I've seen some duck tail trunks that look pretty nice though.

If you get away from the car scene very far most normies don't even know there is a such thing as a Cobalt SS. So in general when you say Cobalt to someone they picture the base models you see everywhere with missing hub caps and rusty wheels. I can understand the frustration for people with nice SS Cobalts not wanting to be lumped into that category. Then you have damn people supercharging or turboing their base model running around pretending they pretty much have an SS further blurring the distinction.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:39 AM

I think arguments can be made for and against both trim levels of our cars. Us more performance minded guys probably all don't like the high rise spoiler.

With that said this is the suspension section and I was just asking for opinions on what was better if I'm looking for handling.

Is there anyone else who would like to state their opinion on aftermarket sport springs and Koni Adjustable strut inserts and shocks? As for me this is the route I wish to take.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:02 PM

The only aftermarket springs to buy for performance are Powell YYZs. Everything else is for looks.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
The only aftermarket springs to buy for performance are Powell YYZs. Everything else is for looks.
for years I have been very impressed with my Tein S-Tech springs
Old 02-03-2017, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by 08_Slowbalt
for years I have been very impressed with my Tein S-Tech springs

If you're impressed with those then the YYZ springs will blow your mind as they were carefully designed for performance at the track. The Tein S Tech springs were probably just adapted from an existing design to fit the Cobalt. Depending on what quality of steel they are made from they could lose stiffness over time.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:52 PM

Get the actual spring rates and some skid pad data then compare to Powells YYZs and you'll see why.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
If you're impressed with those then the YYZ springs will blow your mind as they were carefully designed for performance at the track. The Tein S Tech springs were probably just adapted from an existing design to fit the Cobalt. Depending on what quality of steel they are made from they could lose stiffness over time.
Just found the spring rates, they're not variable like powells and they are stupid high. Rears are at 710lbs/inch...holy stiff
Old 02-03-2017, 02:54 PM

"StockTC FE5 springs: front. Linear. 158 lbs
I found this in a different thread
Pedders: front. Linear. 139 lbs.
YYZ: front. Progressive. 138 lbs at the first 5.5 inches of travel to 265 at full compression
(1st load 762 lbs @6.4 inches/2nd load 993 lbs @5.5. inches.)
"
These are the specs for my Tein springs
"Front spring rate: 3.1 kilogram per millimeter (174 pounds per inch)
Rear spring rate: 2.8 kilogram per millimeter (710 pounds per inch)
Front ride height: -44 millimeter (-1.7 inch)
Rear ride height: -43 millimeter (-1.7 inch)"

Like I said I like these springs and half the fun in modifying my car is to see how cheap I can do it. I will keep my Teins. I think the car will only feel better after I add adjustable strut inserts and shocks.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:18 PM

Shocks and struts will only help with rebound. If you want to get serious about road racing or auto-x go Powells.

Search this Thread