Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Brake question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake question

So I was trying to have a spirited drive down a well known twisty road when some old man in a new craze hatch was having a Sunday drive down this road. So I would go ridiculously slow so I could get some distance and enjoy the bends. The thing is I have an 07 base model with no abs and I swapped out the rear drums to discs and I got the lab front brakes. So this guy decides he will be a dick and brake check me so I Slam the brakes and all I hear is screeching tires from me.

So I'm wondering if I did something wrong in the swap(had it for almost a year now) or if it was just the dry sandy patch of road that this dick chose to brake check coupled with me slamming the brakes. Noob question I know but I've been driving the car for 2 years and never encountered that. I'm also on winters as well.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
you dont have ABS, the wheels can lock up if you press them too hard and too fast
Old 02-20-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
the important thing to note is what wheels locked up, front or rear. in a non abs brake system the fronts should lockup just before the rears do. if the rears lock up first you are at a higher risk of losing control

im not familiar with the rear disc swap, but is anything changed for proportioning when the swap is done? pressure/volume for a disc setup is different from a drum.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts
If it was the rears first, something is wrong in the proportioning.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
I'm guessing it was definitely rears first. Like y'all have said without adjusting the proportioning the drum setup will have waaaayy to much clamping force in the rear relative to the old drums.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Ive had the disc swap for years and have definitely done some sick drifts because of this
Old 02-20-2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
the important thing to note is what wheels locked up, front or rear. in a non abs brake system the fronts should lockup just before the rears do. if the rears lock up first you are at a higher risk of losing control

im not familiar with the rear disc swap, but is anything changed for proportioning when the swap is done? pressure/volume for a disc setup is different from a drum.
I'm honestly not sure what ones locked up just heard screeching. Wasn't paying attention cuz I was so pissed at the guy. Like who does that?

But I swapped the beam, brakes and hubs all around with a 2006 lsj ss. Just put the stuff on and bled the brakes. Was unaware of any bias adjustment! How do I go about doing it?
Old 02-20-2017, 07:23 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Kinda sounds like you were coming up on him quickly. Don't drive like a dick with people around.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by cluelessk
Kinda sounds like you were coming up on him quickly. Don't drive like a dick with people around.
Yes I'll admit I was coming up quickly but that's no reason to slam the brakes. I wasn't riding his ass, just going around corners and catching back up to him. I don't really see where me driving a car length behind your car for less than 30 seconds warrants potentially wrecking both cars just because you want to puff up your feathers. Brake checking is stupid and far more dickish than driving close to somebody on a twisty road.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Tehmaster
Yes I'll admit I was coming up quickly but that's no reason to slam the brakes. I wasn't riding his ass, just going around corners and catching back up to him. I don't really see where me driving a car length behind your car for less than 30 seconds warrants potentially wrecking both cars just because you want to puff up your feathers. Brake checking is stupid and far more dickish than driving close to somebody on a twisty road.
Following distance is supposed to be something like 4 seconds or farther. 2 seconds in town.

Maybe not enough reason to brake check but you're not innocent here.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by cluelessk
Following distance is supposed to be something like 4 seconds or farther. 2 seconds in town.

Maybe not enough reason to brake check but you're not innocent here.
Was never saying I was. This post was 1 part rant 2 parts hoping I did my swap right so I don't end up in the back of another car in an emergency.