Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

lets start an offical slammed thread .......

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 04:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FASTL61
Mr. CBLT12!I got something for you!!!!!!!
is this a photoshop or does that ss actually sit that low? if so what spring/shock combo or what coilover system are you on? or are you on bags?
Old 08-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Banned

My car sits about an inch higher than this now.I am on springs
Old 08-20-2009, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FLUSH_AP1
This is completely wrong man...
With most of the cars that are STRETCHING WITH IMPROPER WHEELS, they usualy came standard with 225 or 205's on a 6-7.5" rim...most of the serious guys are stretching 255's, 275's...onto rims twice as wide as the stock wheel. Im stretching a 255 onto a 9.5" rim...my S2000 came with 225 on the back, i handle way better.

Who told you camber ruins handling?? Nor does it wear your tires "faster"...it simple isolates the wear and with proper toe-in the tires can last just as long...but most of the cars are running some kind of R compound tires so who cares if they last long...last time i checked only my grandma was worried about her tires lasting long.

I think it comes down to talking like you race and just admitting that your not driving a race car...you can go for looks or you can lie and say "awww im building my car to be a race car...theres no point in aggressive fitment" But a huge amount of cobalt owners are in it for the looks. Most of the ones in my area have body kits and lambo doors but still even these guys dont have aggressive fitment.

How can you say your worried about handling performance...i have yet to see anyone with some RT615, ADVAN A048, Toyo RA1....seems like some of you are into the idea of performance...

AND FOR THAT BLUE 280Z, thats flush as f*ck! Seems like the NISSAN guys cant help but to be fitting right. Just cause i say aggressive fit doesnt mean it cant be functional...my S2000 is completely functional and will out handle a stock S2000 on a skidpad no problem.
well i've have multiple sets of rt615's on my balt so i don't really know what you're gettin at there. and last i checked a lot of the big name companies in wheels weren't making 5x110's
Old 08-21-2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Area47
yes, act like i don't know anything about suspension. this will go over well. streching tires beyond their intended use is stupid. it ruins the tire. improper tire pressures reduce the contact patch that is already fucked when this idea happens. 90% of the tools doing this have yet to prove me wrong. i can't speak for other delta chassis owners. they so what they wish. as far as not being able to get camber into them. not going to happen in the rear without risking your life. front just requires camber plates, or coil overs.

some of us have two seperate wheel and tire combo's. my craptastic capitals for the street, nt01's for the track.

as far as the blue 280z. notice it doesn't have a streched tire on it? a 14x8 wheel with the right sized tire worked very well on that car.

ion. i never was going for power in ANY car i have owned. that blue 280z. 200rwhp. the white 240. box stock 2.4 liter from 1970.
toe kills tires.

yea toe kills tires, not camber. Love the 280 and the white 240. And yes i noticed it doesnt have a stretched tire...who cares...its still flush as f*ck! Being flush with correct size tires is even better in my book.

i never said anything about having stretched tires. I think thats just a side effect based on how aggressive offsets you choose. Everyone acts like im saying "WHERES ALL THE STRETCHED TIRES??!?!?!?". Flush vs Stretch and Poke..they are kinda two different styles IMO.

Like you guys said, the cobalt is a grocery getter. Who cars if camber/toe/stretch hurts a grocery getters performance or wears the tires fast, as long as it looks nasty, ill buy new tires every 6 months. If i was an competitive circuit racer/auto crosser i would probably have a stock s2000...but i drive my car everyday(and get groceries)...i figure looks are everything. If your car looks good, i doubt u will get **** for not being the fastest(wink wink 280z above).

If you dont like the look of a low car and aggressive offset wheels...just say its not your style...not that its idiotic...to each his own.

and Area47...i never said u didnt know anything about suspension

to the guys with nice tires. thats awesome, i said i wasn't trying to spit in anyone's face...you guys are pretty aggressive around here.

Last edited by FLUSH_AP1; 08-21-2009 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
the 280 did 13.6 all day long with 4.5 cylinders. {cam went flat, doh!}

i'm not touchy, i'm just a smart ass who enjoys sarcasm
Old 08-21-2009, 01:02 PM

Could i just be the first to say that we're here talking about COBALTS!! NOT S2K's, Scions, VW's, or any other POS car.

How low is your COBALT?

Different cars can go different hights with the same brand of aftermarket spring.

I have not "Slammed or lowered" my Cobalt because the ride is just fine! It's sporty and still comfortable for my family to ride in. I don't want to drive down the street to 7-11 to get a slurpee and have a headache before getting out cause of my body bouncing up and down out of the ******* seat the whole 2 blocks down the street!

Reminds me of a Cavalier I saw on the 695 Beltway last yea... funny as ****, the dude was bouncing.... nevermind anyway...

Cobalts please!!
Old 08-21-2009, 02:28 PM

Well, this is a hell of a place for a first post, but I couldn't resist. I just wanted to comment about the import guys talking trash about the fact that no "HellaFlush Approved" Cobalts were in here. First of all, I dig the VIP/EXE look. I had a 97 Infiniti Q45 on cut Espelier Springs that tucked a lot of stock tire (lol). I can appreciate the camber and the stretch, I just don't have the budget for it. The reason that Cobalts aren't in that same category is the rear suspension. It's a solid axle guys, rear camber is hard to pull out of a solid axle. Also, the quality wheel issue. It's a bitch finding wheels in a 5x110 bolt pattern. I've been searching for a while and haven't been super impressed with the selection.

That being said, some of the Cobalts in here look pretty damn tough.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Menace Kustoms
Well, this is a hell of a place for a first post, but I couldn't resist. I just wanted to comment about the import guys talking trash about the fact that no "HellaFlush Approved" Cobalts were in here. First of all, I dig the VIP/EXE look. I had a 97 Infiniti Q45 on cut Espelier Springs that tucked a lot of stock tire (lol). I can appreciate the camber and the stretch, I just don't have the budget for it. The reason that Cobalts aren't in that same category is the rear suspension. It's a solid axle guys, rear camber is hard to pull out of a solid axle. Also, the quality wheel issue. It's a bitch finding wheels in a 5x110 bolt pattern. I've been searching for a while and haven't been super impressed with the selection.

That being said, some of the Cobalts in here look pretty damn tough.
This guy(Menace) is probably the most knowledgeable and least ignorant cobaltSS.net member i have seen in this discussion. Area47 is cool to since his 280 is FLUSH AS F*CK! haha im sure he could submit a picture to hellaflush.com and that sh*t would get approved.

All you guys had to say is that wheel selection is low and the rear has a solid axle. i did not know this(why does the cobalt have a solid rear axle??? dont most fwd sport compacts have IRS?)

to 06G85: thanks for voicing your reasoning as to why you have not slammed your family's car. It doesnt sound very relevent but i completely understand. I really dont see how you could call an S2k a piece of sh*t...or a Scion(even tho i hate them there not shitty cars). Now a VW is a different story But still, i never said Cobalts were bad cars...why attack mine?
Old 08-25-2009, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by FLUSH_AP1

to 06G85: thanks for voicing your reasoning as to why you have not slammed your family's car. It doesnt sound very relevent but i completely understand. I really dont see how you could call an S2k a piece of sh*t...or a Scion(even tho i hate them there not shitty cars). Now a VW is a different story But still, i never said Cobalts were bad cars...why attack mine?
I wasn't trying to make it seem as though I was attacking your car specifically dude. I was just saying that this thread was aimed at Cobalts and not other cars. I do apologize for saying POS, but I was one of those moods the other day.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:23 PM

Not Slammed by any means lol, but yea.......

IMO, there isn't a true definition of slammed. To each his own! Yea the sport truck guys lay frame, thats awsome. Im far from a minitruck kinda guy, dislike them greatly actually, but you cant deny that they are low as fu*k and that the builders have put a lot of time into them. And personally flush's s2k is sick nasty. The honda guys just have the suspension design to go that low. My old roommate was tucking freakin 14's way up in the wheel wells, and didnt have a lot of negative camber at all on his 89 ef hatch. and that was on coilovers, not bags. idk really what to say, this thread was supposed to be pics of slammed cobalts and its just been a bunch of bitching at each other. idk why people get so offended and defensive on this subject. Cobalts just cant go as low as a lot of cars. wtf does it matter? if you dont like it then dont do it. if you dont want to look at pictures of slammed cars with stretched tires, then dont look. its simple. do what you can and be happy...dont dis other peoples style and preference. but if people have pics of some nicely slammed cobalts with some sick rims id love to c em!! otherwise i wouldnt have looked through 18 f-ing pages of BS lol. C'mon guys.

And with wheel selection...i believe i have a 5x114.3, so wouldnt that make wheel selection kinda easy? i mean i thought all the 5 lug chassis had the same bolt patterns among cobalts, ions, g5's.....i guess im wrong. But i know my brothers EVO 8 rims, the stock enkies(sp?) fit perfect. I rode on em for a couple days.....and no one can say that there isnt a huge wheel selection for the evo.....

Last edited by Lee89; 08-30-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-30-2009, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lee89

Not Slammed by any means lol, but yea.......

IMO, there isn't a true definition of slammed. To each his own! Yea the sport truck guys lay frame, thats awsome. Im far from a minitruck kinda guy, dislike them greatly actually, but you cant deny that they are low as fu*k and that the builders have put a lot of time into them. And personally flush's s2k is sick nasty. The honda guys just have the suspension design to go that low. My old roommate was tucking freakin 14's way up in the wheel wells, and didnt have a lot of negative camber at all on his 89 ef hatch. and that was on coilovers, not bags. idk really what to say, this thread was supposed to be pics of slammed cobalts and its just been a bunch of bitching at each other. idk why people get so offended and defensive on this subject. Cobalts just cant go as low as a lot of cars. wtf does it matter? if you dont like it then dont do it. if you dont want to look at pictures of slammed cars with stretched tires, then dont look. its simple. do what you can and be happy...dont dis other peoples style and preference. but if people have pics of some nicely slammed cobalts with some sick rims id love to c em!! otherwise i wouldnt have looked through 18 f-ing pages of BS lol. C'mon guys.

And with wheel selection...i believe i have a 5x114.3, so wouldnt that make wheel selection kinda easy? i mean i thought all the 5 lug chassis had the same bolt patterns among cobalts, ions, g5's.....i guess im wrong. But i know my brothers EVO 8 rims, the stock enkies(sp?) fit perfect. I rode on em for a couple days.....and no one can say that there isnt a huge wheel selection for the evo.....
you should have 5X110

i have 5x100

and most balts have 5x110...

evo 8s have

5x114.3

i have no earthly idea how you got those to mount....

Last edited by laserblue2006; 08-30-2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-30-2009, 04:32 PM

That looks awesome... But i second the thought with the evo wheels.. I have a set in my garage and they dont come close to fitting...
Old 09-03-2009, 03:14 AM
Banned

I have been trying to get flush for a while now, I haven't done coilovers yet only because there's no promise that I could almost lay frame. I seriously need negative camber and tucked wheels or I'm going to get bored and sell my car. I'm going to start with cutting my stock springs down a good 6 inches just for an experiment. we'll see where it goes from there. I have grade 8 extended lugs and spacers I just haven't gotten a chance to take my hubs off and press them in.

I've had a few ideas, I am a certified tech but I would like to get some opinions on them before I go through with it. I am willing to deal with loss of drivability and having to replace hubs more often.

1. shimming the rear hubs for negative camber
2. heating the solid rear to literally sag it
3. re-locating the rear struts

call me crazy, but I am that fed up with wheel gap.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:12 AM

Old 09-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Banned

^^ looks dope. now stretch the tires and get flush.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Doc

it does look real good....

mine on sportlines

I'll get the new ones on B&G's soon.....I am gonna drop them all the way (I'm curious).
Old 09-03-2009, 10:12 PM

Air bags
Old 09-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Banned

beautiful!!!! love the dishes.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:24 AM

My car on some 15" steelies. Its even left hand drive. It also doesn't drive to well this low. Cruise is a couple of inches up. All with the flip of some magic switches.

With some 19"s on. I ususally run satin black OZ Ultraleggara's 17. 19"s were for a photo shoot

Here is a pic of my little truck on 20"s work in progress.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Doc

that sits real good....
Old 09-04-2009, 11:42 AM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by silver06cobalt
Oh there is if its full of potholes.. I had to relearn how to drive when I dropped my car..

Roads around you must not be as bad as they are here in Texas
TROOF!

I scrape exhaust on every speed bump...
Old 09-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Banned

I guess bags are the suspension mod for me. school til december then I start saving 2g's. maybe 3 cuz I need wheels. 215's should stretch real nice on some 8 wide dishes. I'll stop dreaming now and get back to this thread when I do it lol.

anyone have any ideas for modifying the rear camber?
Old 09-04-2009, 05:41 PM

you should have 5X110

i have 5x100

and most balts have 5x110...

evo 8s have

5x114.3

i have no earthly idea how you got those to mount....

now im confused...if i have a 5x100 how the hell were they on there? are yall sure that all cobalts come with a 5x100? or mabey im wrong and the evo has a 5x100....then i would feel dumb lol

Last edited by Lee89; 09-04-2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-04-2009, 06:37 PM

not slammed. but i think i am close. at least for drivability in utah
Old 09-04-2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by airliftguy
My car on some 15" steelies. Its even left hand drive. It also doesn't drive to well this low. Cruise is a couple of inches up. All with the flip of some magic switches.

With some 19"s on. I ususally run satin black OZ Ultraleggara's 17. 19"s were for a photo shoot

Here is a pic of my little truck on 20"s work in progress.
dude, how much is the average cost of bags? Im completely in the dark on this....I know i could probably search around and find it...But a rounded number close to the average price is what im lookin for.

Quick Reply: lets start an offical slammed thread .......