Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

The OFFICIAL Coilover Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 04:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Swapped stock suspension for KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers. NEED SOME HELP!

As my name suggests, I am a noob. However, please don't take my nooby knowledge for performance upgrades for granted to my stock part replacements. With that being said, if someone can either give me a link in the right direction to answer my question or answer it altogether would be much appreciated!

Ok, so. I am in the middle of replacing stock suspension for KSport Pros all around, front and rear.

I have finally removed one front strut, but, upon my removal endeavor I had to saw off the sway bar link as the bushing/bearing was spinning with the stud. So now I have purchased NEW sway bar links.... Here in lies my issue. First off, the links I have purchased are longer than the original ones and also skinnier. I triple checked part numbers and apparently that's what it calls for.

Second off, even if I reinstalled the junk stock struts, they wouldn't match up anyways.

So, can I safely drive my vehicle without the sway bar links installed? Is there aftermarket links that are adjustable to solve this issue? If anyone has KSport Pros, is the adjustable bracket they install between the spring perch and lower suspension mount used for the adjustable sway bar links?

If needed I can take pictures to illustrate the bracket. It basically just spins up or down the strut with a single hole, steel plate off of it.

IMHO, I have the sport 2.4l "LE5" cobalt and it seems it is the black sheep of the family. The parts are scarcer, in turn pricier, and finding knowledge on this specific platform is a bit of a pain. My purchase of the vehicle was to just be a daily driver, but I'm finding myself becoming attached to it more as it was grossly neglected by the previous owners.
The following users liked this post:
firestorm (04-10-2022)
Old 11-08-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_noob
As my name suggests, I am a noob. However, please don't take my nooby knowledge for performance upgrades for granted to my stock part replacements. With that being said, if someone can either give me a link in the right direction to answer my question or answer it altogether would be much appreciated!

Ok, so. I am in the middle of replacing stock suspension for KSport Pros all around, front and rear.

I have finally removed one front strut, but, upon my removal endeavor I had to saw off the sway bar link as the bushing/bearing was spinning with the stud. So now I have purchased NEW sway bar links.... Here in lies my issue. First off, the links I have purchased are longer than the original ones and also skinnier. I triple checked part numbers and apparently that's what it calls for.

Second off, even if I reinstalled the junk stock struts, they wouldn't match up anyways.

So, can I safely drive my vehicle without the sway bar links installed? Is there aftermarket links that are adjustable to solve this issue? If anyone has KSport Pros, is the adjustable bracket they install between the spring perch and lower suspension mount used for the adjustable sway bar links?

If needed I can take pictures to illustrate the bracket. It basically just spins up or down the strut with a single hole, steel plate off of it.

IMHO, I have the sport 2.4l "LE5" cobalt and it seems it is the black sheep of the family. The parts are scarcer, in turn pricier, and finding knowledge on this specific platform is a bit of a pain. My purchase of the vehicle was to just be a daily driver, but I'm finding myself becoming attached to it more as it was grossly neglected by the previous owners.
Bumpty bump
Old 11-08-2015, 11:48 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
IIRC aftermarket suspension is the same between all the cobalts. Like springs, coil overs, aftermarket struts/shocks are interchangeable between the models.

You are fine driving with no sway bar links installed. It is not recommended but just don't be whipping your car hard around corners and you'll be completely fine... probably won't even be able to tell they're not there.

Most people use moog end links on here. They are decent and cheaper.

There is adjustable ones available... powergrid end links. They are by far better but more expensive. I've ran both... power grids are better and I currently running them.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS 16
IIRC aftermarket suspension is the same between all the cobalts. Like springs, coil overs, aftermarket struts/shocks are interchangeable between the models.

You are fine driving with no sway bar links installed. It is not recommended but just don't be whipping your car hard around corners and you'll be completely fine... probably won't even be able to tell they're not there.

Most people use moog end links on here. They are decent and cheaper.

There is adjustable ones available... powergrid end links. They are by far better but more expensive. I've ran both... power grids are better and I currently running them.
Nice, this is a solid answer! I didn't know that the aftermarket suspension components were interchangeable between the models. Makes sense.

Then my only other question would be this bracket they installed on the KSports. I haven't the foggiest what it is there for. I'm assuming it's for the sway bar links?
W/O taking a picture it is basically a Popsicle stick shaped steel bracket, roughly 2"-3", which is welded to a ring that has a hex screw to either tighten the ring or loosen it. It spins on the strut either up or down. Looks like this is where the link will bolt to, then again, want to be certain. I have emailed KSport regarding it, but if anyone has insight?

Thanks again!!!
Old 07-14-2018, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GodSpeed Project MonoSS

Does anyone have GodSpeed MonoSS Coilovers in the car? How well do they work?
Zo6balt (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 08:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gonna try bring this thread back to life. Our whole forum is sadly a shell of what it used to be. Lol

Stance has new coils it seems for our cars (inverted if i read correctly).
BC Racing has the RM inverted setup now.

Anyone have feedback, experience or anything at all on any new coilovers for our beloved cars?
AfterShok (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 09:36 AM

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

KW V1s

I love them they are worth every dollar! Can go lower as well for you low stance guys
Zo6balt (01-12-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 09:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Fortune 500 coilovers sound pretty well done. Any thoughts?
heres the link https://www.shop-fortune-auto.com/pr...nt=29248277059
Old 04-10-2022, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a leaky fe5 oem strut>
not looking for lower> need struts really. what are current opti8ns for struts or coilovers
Old 04-30-2022, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by firestorm
i have a leaky fe5 oem strut>
not looking for lower> need struts really. what are current opti8ns for struts or coilovers
do you want a smooth ride ? if so then get the stock TC/SS struts