Forum Jump Gallery Social Groups vBLive Garage Register Now Videos Link To Us Store Site Map TSBs
Cobalt SS Network Forums
The Cobalt SS Network is the leading resource for all Chevy Cobalts and related Delta
platform cars. Registered users do not see the above ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Vendor Forums

Go Back   Cobalt SS Network > Specific Technical Discussion > Suspension
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Home Regional All Albums   FAQ Members List
Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes
Sponsored by CARiD
Click Here

Rear Brakes Locking Early

This is a discussion on Rear Brakes Locking Early within the Suspension forums, part of the Specific Technical Discussion category; I remember reading a thread a while back about the rear drum brakes locking up early due to a poor ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #1

Member #: 17262
Check out my gallery  Check out my vbgarage 

Rear Brakes Locking Early

I remember reading a thread a while back about the rear drum brakes locking up early due to a poor adjustment (searched, couldn't find it). I've noticed this winter that my car under heavy braking on ice will tend to lock up the rears long before the fronts which is problematic because it means that the car wants to swap ends.

I've got a set of ice tires on the way (it was a serious pain to find a set this late in the year), which will hopefully help.

What I'm wondering is whether I'm remembering right that this is a common problem. The next question is what is involved in fixing the problem, and whether this adjustment or repair would be covered under the warranty (the car has 33k on it, '07 LS coupe).

'07 Chevy Cobalt LS "Nova" (manual, debadged, silencer removed)
'89 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Wagon "Howard" (debadged, old)

Team "Learn about Other Cars and You may just Learn more about Yours." Member #2
hobbie2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #2
Points: 18,438, Level: 86 Points: 18,438, Level: 86 Points: 18,438, Level: 86
Level up: 18%, 412 Points needed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Member #: 5806

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbie2k View Post
I remember reading a thread a while back about the rear drum brakes locking up early due to a poor adjustment (searched, couldn't find it). I've noticed this winter that my car under heavy braking on ice will tend to lock up the rears long before the fronts which is problematic because it means that the car wants to swap ends.

I've got a set of ice tires on the way (it was a serious pain to find a set this late in the year), which will hopefully help.

What I'm wondering is whether I'm remembering right that this is a common problem. The next question is what is involved in fixing the problem, and whether this adjustment or repair would be covered under the warranty (the car has 33k on it, '07 LS coupe).

not sure if this helps...but at one time i had problems with my rear brakes locking up. turned out to be a stick break line going to the calipers that was caused by using the handbrake(ie pulling the handbrake caused it to work loose over time). warrantied and covered by the garage to e fixed

2012 Black Camaro 2SS/RS w/ Hurst
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Points: 17,452, Level: 84 Points: 17,452, Level: 84 Points: 17,452, Level: 84
Level up: 21%, 398 Points needed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Member #: 1910

Do you have ABS?

When was the last time your brakes were cleaned/lubed/adjusted?

Do your brakes pulsate at all?(out of round drums will cause excessive brake drag)

If you dont have ABS, your drums are true and your brakes maintaned rear lockup on ICE isnt really a problem that can be solved. Meaning if you had premature lockup all the time, even on dry or just wet pavement there would be a definitie problem, on ice, not so much. Have your rear brakes maintained if they havent been, get some tires better suited to your conditions, and drive cautiously.

There are no TSBs for Cobalt rear brake lockup
You want something quality and low cost? Sure but its not gonna be quick.
Maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #4

Member #: 17262

The car does not have ABS, there is no pulsation, the tires are still original, though they haven't reached the wear markers yet (I figure they've got at least one more summer in them). I do my own maintenance and check the condition of the brakes with every oil change. They seemed to be in decent condition, I'm a fairly gentle driver (but my last check was about 9000 mi ago).

I do drive cautiously on ice, which I think is the only reason I haven't been in a ditch yet. If this is a "normal" condition, it is terrible brake tuning on the part of Chevy. If those rear brakes lock up on ice, even if you're only going 30mph, the car will spin in an instant, and it feels like it takes a moment too long for the brakes to release.

I personally don't think there's any excuse for a set of brakes under light use to need significant maintenance after only 33,000mi. Anyhow, I'm planning on taking it to the dealer to get the oil changed, ice tires put on, and the brakes checked. We'll see.

'07 Chevy Cobalt LS "Nova" (manual, debadged, silencer removed)
'89 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Wagon "Howard" (debadged, old)

Team "Learn about Other Cars and You may just Learn more about Yours." Member #2
hobbie2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
Points: 17,452, Level: 84 Points: 17,452, Level: 84 Points: 17,452, Level: 84
Level up: 21%, 398 Points needed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Member #: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbie2k View Post
The car does not have ABS, there is no pulsation, the tires are still original, though they haven't reached the wear markers yet (I figure they've got at least one more summer in them). I do my own maintenance and check the condition of the brakes with every oil change. They seemed to be in decent condition, I'm a fairly gentle driver (but my last check was about 9000 mi ago).

I do drive cautiously on ice, which I think is the only reason I haven't been in a ditch yet. If this is a "normal" condition, it is terrible brake tuning on the part of Chevy. If those rear brakes lock up on ice, even if you're only going 30mph, the car will spin in an instant, and it feels like it takes a moment too long for the brakes to release.

I personally don't think there's any excuse for a set of brakes under light use to need significant maintenance after only 33,000mi. Anyhow, I'm planning on taking it to the dealer to get the oil changed, ice tires put on, and the brakes checked. We'll see.
Drums brakes do take (slightly) longer to "unlock" than discs. The drums on the Cobalt are actually very modern and tuned quite well, they are about as cutting edge as you get in drums. Perhaps you need a fluid flush and bleed.( I would recommend on an 07 with 33k miles, once a year, every 2 years MAX) air/old fluid in the front can make them "softer" than designed,keeping the proportioning valve from doing its job, allowing rear brake pressures to be abnormally high in relation to the fronts

Drums brakes do require maintenance to work "optimally" I would never think of letting friends or family drive around for 30k miles without cleaning/lubing/adjusting rear brakes at least 3 times.
You want something quality and low cost? Sure but its not gonna be quick.
Maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 PM
CobaltSS
Chevy Cobalt

Paid Advertisement