Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Sring Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spring Spacers

Hi,

I have YYZ springs, which took my ride height down a bit, and the roads are really, really bad where I live. They get even worse in the winter. The roads have very deep ruts. Typically I try to drive on the yellow line to avoid them, but if a cars coming on the other side, then I have to drive more in the rut, and I bottom out, and now that it's cooling off outside I bottom out more, as the ruts become worse. I really need to fix this before I tear my exhaust off.... again... Or something else happens.

Does anyone have any details on spacers that would work for a SS/TC? That would work for sure that is.

Thanks

Last edited by nutty21; 11-16-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't you go back to stock? I've seen some universal spacers that fit between the coils of springs, but as an engineer I highly suggest not using them as they can cause additional stresses on the coils and may even cause premature failure. The other option would be coilovers and set them up at their highest setting.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jlkm
Why don't you go back to stock?
Because I bought and paid for YYZ springs, and they're better.

I've seen some universal spacers that fit between the coils of springs, but as an engineer I highly suggest not using them as they can cause additional stresses on the coils and may even cause premature failure.
I seen lots of those, and that's the prob. Lots made by the same company, all slightly diff in some way, so that's why I'm asking if anyone knows any that would work for sure. Also, I can't see it adding stress, as I am trying to make up for the height I lost. It'd be nice to go up half an inch from stock to be honest, as I was hitting in places even at stock. Maybe just half an inch above stock in the rear would be perfect.

The other option would be coilovers and set them up at their highest setting.
After buying Koni's and YYZ springs, not going right out and buying coilovers. I don't have unlimited access to money to burn thought and waste like Trump now does or anything lol. :p

Last edited by nutty21; 11-16-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by nutty21

Also, I can't see it adding stress, as I am trying to make up for the height I lost. It'd be nice to go up half an inch from stock to be honest, as I was hitting in places even at stock. Maybe just half an inch above stock in the rear would be perfect.
Since the spacers are between coils they are stretched out axially and may hinder performance and overall life of the coil. There is a spacer that sits were the coil rests in the strut, I think this is your safest bet. Another possible solution would be to machine an aluminum spacer that fit between the strut mount and the body of the car. I don't know how this would affect the overall suspension and steering so its up to you. Also it may be costly since its a custom part.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:04 PM

Since the spacers are between coils they are stretched out axially and may hinder performance and overall life of the coil. There is a spacer that sits were the coil rests in the strut, I think this is your safest bet. Another possible solution would be to machine an aluminum spacer that fit between the strut mount and the body of the car. I don't know how this would affect the overall suspension and steering so its up to you. Also it may be costly since its a custom part.
Sorry, that's what I was meaning originally. Well not machining, as there are already universal ones that do that. I skipped over the in-between the coils thing mentioned previously, yeah not looking to do that one preferably, but see lots of poly ones that exist already, but have no idea which ones would would fit properly for sure, especially for up front.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2016, 12:23 PM

Just for a random example, like these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Daystar-KJ0911...+spring+spacer

https://www.amazon.ca/Daystar-KJ0913...+spring+spacer

There's tons of them, but just have no clue which ones would fit properly for sure, and wouldn't trust anyone around here in machining something, and even if they did, they'd probably end up charging an amount equal to coil-overs.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:14 PM

I would do this:
1. Buy 4 of these: https://smile.amazon.com/KYB-SM5571-...rolet%3Acobalt (they are the insulator that goes between the strut and the coil)

2. Figure out how to create a poly piece that would be sandwiched between two of these insulators. You could probably create a mold of some sort.

With that you make sure they fit the cobalt plus you have control of how high you want it.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:41 PM

I would do this:
1. Buy 4 of these: https://smile.amazon.com/KYB-SM5571-...rolet%3Acobalt (they are the insulator that goes between the strut and the coil)

2. Figure out how to create a poly piece that would be sandwiched between two of these insulators. You could probably create a mold of some sort.

With that you make sure they fit the cobalt plus you have control of how high you want it.
Yeah, the rears I can think of a few ways. The rears are easier, but the front is where I'm really unsure, as everything is in the strut assembly, and that all has to sit just right, so not too sure what to do there. Would like something that would work perfectly in there, but I'm just not for sure on that. Like I said, i see some that exist, but I'm not sure they'd fit correctly in there for sure.

I know I seen someone mention in another thread that they knew someone that did machine some up, and I wrote to that user to see if they had contact info, but don't think they come on here anymore. I would imagine one of these existing poly ones would work, but I'm just not sure which one for sure, as it'd have to fit right.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I would do this:

Do this ^^^, go back to stock, lIft it on coils, or just scrap everywhere lol
Old 11-28-2016, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by keiserX13
Do this ^^^, go back to stock, lIft it on coils, or just scrap everywhere lol
See previous response.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
Stock suspension in winter, koni/yyz in the summer.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Slowbalt2000
Stock suspension in winter, koni/yyz in the summer.
Tossed the stock stuff out.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:53 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
why would you do that? was it all worn out, because people will pay for FE5 stuff, especially the TC stuff
Old 11-29-2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by calo247
why would you do that? was it all worn out, because people will pay for FE5 stuff, especially the TC stuff
Shipping from here wouldn't be worth it for anyway really. Plus they're from a 2008, so not exactly new.