Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Where to find anti-squeal for brake pads?

Old 03-28-2007, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where to find anti-squeal for brake pads?

Alright, so I put new brakes on and the pads did not come with any sort of anti-squeal gel like most brake pads. Bottom line, they sound worse with new pads on than my old, worn to the metal, cracked pads.

I've stopped in 3 or 4 different auto parts stores and they keep telling me "Oh, you have to get that with new pads. If your brakes are squealing it's time to replace them, our parts guy can help you." No, *******, I just put NEW ones on, I JUST need the gel!

So, basically, does anyone know where I can JUST get the anti-squeal stuff?????
Old 04-01-2007, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alleycat58
Alright, so I put new brakes on and the pads did not come with any sort of anti-squeal gel like most brake pads. Bottom line, they sound worse with new pads on than my old, worn to the metal, cracked pads.

I've stopped in 3 or 4 different auto parts stores and they keep telling me "Oh, you have to get that with new pads. If your brakes are squealing it's time to replace them, our parts guy can help you." No, *******, I just put NEW ones on, I JUST need the gel!

So, basically, does anyone know where I can JUST get the anti-squeal stuff?????
I've never had that stuff actually work. Most parts stores have a spray-on anti-squeal you paint on the back of the pads.

What brand pad did you buy? Did you use your existing rotors? If so, how grooved were thay?
Old 04-01-2007, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by LewiSS
I've never had that stuff actually work. Most parts stores have a spray-on anti-squeal you paint on the back of the pads.

What brand pad did you buy? Did you use your existing rotors? If so, how grooved were thay?
Well anti-squeal worked on these a little bit. They're noisy pads to begin with (Hawk HPS), but turns out the clips on the calipers needed a little adjusting.

I did NOT use my existing rotors, that's a pretty big with most new pads, definitely with high performance pads. The stock rotors actually weren't grooved too bad, I replaced them with a little beefier Raybestos Professional rotors and so far with 1k on them and 100 miles of open tracking, they're fine, rotors show no signs of wanting to groove and the pads get you stopped in a hurry once they're warm.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:59 AM

ive picked it up at autozone by itself easily before.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by ThatGuyinApt.D
ive picked it up at autozone by itself easily before.
Yeah, 3rd Advance we went to finally sold it to us by itself. 2 didn't know what it was (we don't have the smartest car people working in car places around here...which is probably why getting a wheel stud tapped last minute at PepBoys Friday cost me $1000 in damages... ), the third said they only give it to people who buy brake pads.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:45 PM

i see the stuff all the time at checkers and autozone.

axle grease works just as well.