Technical Articles A central location for technical articles gathered from throughout the community and internet.

Air Filter Testing

Old 03-13-2014, 03:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by umrdyldo

We need to find out the diameter of the GMPP cone filter from the 2.2/2.4,

There has to be a good alternative. The Amsoil EA filter look good but I believe the K&N is a 3.25" inside diameter and Amsoil doesn't make one that size.
Ced has the gmpp in stock but its pricey for a non cleanable filter cant find the size though some say 3 some say 3.25

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Coba...10449C667.aspx
Old 03-13-2014, 03:30 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by umrdyldo
yes that's what it's designed for, but anything to prevent fast clogging will hopefully be an added bonus. Especially if the filter passes as much particles as everyone is saying.
The fine particles will still pass through, the only thing you might save is having to perform frequent cleanings
Old 03-13-2014, 03:41 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by ECaulk
The fine particles will still pass through, the only thing you might save is having to perform frequent cleanings
That's the plan.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Where'd you get the wrap and how much?
Old 03-13-2014, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by footballplaya3k
Where'd you get the wrap and how much?
Amazon.com: K&N RC-4700DY Yellow Air Filter Wrap: Automotive

There is the one I got, you just change the product ending from Y to whatever color you want. B for black, R for Red etc.

I bought from O'Reilly because I had a coupon.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:23 PM

Thanks
Old 03-14-2014, 09:36 AM

Thanks
NP, I love the color match.

Just a bit of an update. The filter wrap has dropped my LTFT from 3.9 to 2.3.

That is the lowest I have ever seen with the K&N on. 3.9 was my previous low. So I can see that the filter wrap does help with LTFT. I'm sure it's added some restriction back. BPV and intake noise is still pretty high if not a touch quieter.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:13 PM

For those of you we higher LTFT from K&N filter, the filter wrap has dropped my ltft to near 0. I am very impressed.
Name:  _20140316_141118_zpsvyr5ffna.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  73.8 KB
Old 06-10-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am runing the AEM dryflow, I have never been a fan of the K&N oil. What is the consensus on the AEM?

http://autohifidiszkont.hu/bmw-tunin...szuroteszt.pdf
Old 06-10-2014, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by importkiller
I am runing the AEM dryflow, I have never been a fan of the K&N oil. What is the consensus on the AEM?

http://autohifidiszkont.hu/bmw-tunin...szuroteszt.pdf
Get a used oil analysis and look at the Si content
Old 06-10-2014, 01:39 PM

Get a used oil analysis and look at the Si content
Will do, what should i look for in Si content.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:01 PM

Do you have a link to the filter you have? I've been looking for a dryflow.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:48 PM

I'm running a K&N drop-in for the meantime (TC, will ensure to monitor closely) due to the fact that getting an AC shipped over costs an arm and a leg - almost $70.00 if I recall correctly(!).

On the flipside, the K&N can be bought locally for almost half that.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:02 PM

Do you have a link to the filter you have? I've been looking for a dryflow.
I bought rissa's old AEM CAI back in the day, then had AEM replace the tube under warranty with an airflow straightener version, So pretty much any new AEM CAI will work and comes with one. But the catch is that you will need a few tunes to get the LTFT and STFT under control. I wish they made a panel filter for the standard intake.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:39 PM
Banned

I jumped on the K&N bandwagon a year after my post; forgot the stats from this report. Took out my K&N that hadn't been cleaned in 30K miles and put in stock filter, feels a tad bit more responsive! Going with stock here on out...thanks for sharing!
Old 07-08-2014, 12:51 PM

So im gonna just go out on a limb here and say that Injen filters are not gonna be much better if at all than K&N. From what Iv read Injen produces one of the better intakes on the market.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by droponikz
So im gonna just go out on a limb here and say that Injen filters are not gonna be much better if at all than K&N. From what Iv read Injen produces one of the better intakes on the market.
Injen uses Amsoil EA nano fiber filters on their intakes now.

They should filter a little better than the K&N's.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
This test has been revised in different forms for a long long time. It's BS. The guy that wrote it is a Charlatan troll. He even states in his opening line that his goal is to discredit. How fair and un biased can you be with an attitude like that but at least the huckster admits it. He did a similar unbiased study on diesel fuel lubricating additives. Again a crock of **** with a recommendation of a new to the market product that he obviously was affiliated with. The filter study is a sham. Don't be fooled.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Sham or not he did make valid points that are true.

A K&N filters for **** (true), and a large enough oem style filter will provide you with all the flow you need to maintain optimal engine horsepower (true).

Don't believe all the K&N or other highflow air filter hype either.

That is the whole point of this thread.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
Sham or not he did make valid points that are true.

A K&N filters for **** (true), and a large enough oem style filter will provide you with all the flow you need to maintain optimal engine horsepower (true).

Don't believe all the K&N or other highflow air filter hype either.

That is the whole point of this thread.
Have you checked out Donaldson's recommendation of filter sizing for the hp level some of the LSJ's and the LNF's are at? Filters are huge.

I still would like to figure out how to take a SS/SC filter housing and make it work on a SS/TC, given the filtration area of the SS/SC filter is greater (or appears that way haven't got my hands on one yet to calculate it) than the SS/TC filtration area.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't open the original link at the moment but I've seen quite a few different studies and tests over the years by different individuals, groups and publications with varying quality of test procedures and data. Looking at the filter specs and some of the better, unbiased tests, the usual summary is that the K&N style oiled cotton gauge filters don't filter particulates very well when freshly cleaned and do a better job with respect to filtration once they have more mileage, but they also start to flow less due to increased restriction. A good conventional paper filter in the same size and design normally flows just as well when brand new but degrades much faster although continuing to filter as good as or better than the oiled cotton gauze as it gets dirtier.

Much of the older testing was done on the older style conventional pleated paper filters. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the newer expanded paper fiber/synthetic fiber pleated filters like the OEM on the LNF cars doesn't lose airflow ability as fast as the flat, folded, paper pleated filters (and can likely hold more dirt and has a longer service life). From personal testing at the track on my '08 SS Turbo, both stock and with the GMPP S1 upgrade it was extremely consistent for traps speeds and the engine management was able to produce the same engine torque with almost identical boost required with a fresh K&N or newer OEM filter. I'd swap back and forth every few passes and wouldn't see any changes.

To me that showed the stock air box and filter size likely isn't a restriction on even a mildly modified car and definitely showed no advantage to the aftermarket drop-in filter. As someone who worries about what's going through the turbo, into the engine and keeping debris out I'd much rather run a conventional paper/fiber filter than a freshly serviced and oiled cotton gauze filter. For someone heavily modified I'd probably want to do much more in-depth data logging, maybe wire in some standalone pressure sensors before and after the filter in the intake tract to log pressure drop, etc., but I wouldn't want to just slap on a different aftermarket intake system and think it would automatically work "better" because it has a certain type or size filter, especially when the plumbing is different and you have a MAF sensor located in the inlet tract.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
^^^ good post. plus the popular filter on a stick esp. on the TC really elevates the hell out of inlet air temp and air density . its all fail, as much as folks want to descredit the testing its been done over and over and its 100% OEM is better. period.

,meh.

ps re your garage, my first vented RL hood had ASC Mclaren hood vents, I purchased a bunch of the NOS stock they even had water collectors that I discarded...
Old 08-22-2014, 07:12 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Have you checked out Donaldson's recommendation of filter sizing for the hp level some of the LSJ's and the LNF's are at? Filters are huge.

I still would like to figure out how to take a SS/SC filter housing and make it work on a SS/TC, given the filtration area of the SS/SC filter is greater (or appears that way haven't got my hands on one yet to calculate it) than the SS/TC filtration area.
The stock LSJ filter is large enough. It is about an inch taller than the K&N E-0777 drop in, and has deeper pleats, and more filter media.

I just ran the K&N in my airbox for a month to see if there was a difference. My car is stronger in all rpm ranges with the factory ACDelco filter.

It still flows the exact same about 39 lbs/min, and the restriction is on par with a clean K&N drop in when running a blower inlet pressure test.

Another thing I noticed that was crappy about the K&N drop in.... there was tiny grit at the top of the filter where it should be sealing to prevent un metered air. The stock ACDelco has a much nicer sealing surface and provides an air tight seal.

Last edited by Staged07SS; 08-22-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
The stock LSJ filter is large enough. It is about an inch taller than the K&N E-0777 drop in, and has deeper pleats, and more filter media.

I just ran the K&N in my airbox for a month to see if there was a difference. My car is stronger in all rpm ranges with the factory ACDelco filter.

It still flows the exact same about 39 lbs/min, and the restriction is on par with a clean K&N drop in when running a blower inlet pressure test.

Another thing I noticed that was crappy about the K&N drop in.... there was tiny grit at the top of the filter where it should be sealing to prevent un metered air. The stock ACDelco has a much nicer sealing surface and provides an air tight seal.
I had the same issue with my K&N filter on the K&N intake, also inside the pipe was dirty. I switched to a Amsoil EA filter and its stayed clean.

I've got a stock LNF intake on the way to do some comparisons, now to find a stock LSJ intake or at least filter housing
Old 08-22-2014, 07:55 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

I had the same issue with my K&N filter on the K&N intake, also inside the pipe was dirty. I switched to a Amsoil EA filter and its stayed clean.

I've got a stock LNF intake on the way to do some comparisons, now to find a stock LSJ intake or at least filter housing
I'm sure if you post a wanted add, someone here will have one for ya

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Filter Testing