Tuning For tuning and related discussions

Is this a thing with Dynojets???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 06:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Is this a thing with Dynojets???

I apologize if this isn't the right section. Anyway, a shop had my car for 2 weeks trying to get a tune done (they had the flu run thru the shop and a guy quit hence the long time). I get a call when it's done and of course I couldn't make it out before they closed. I asked the guy the numbers and he said he'd talk to me when I picked it up. He then sends me a graph with just MPH and HP. I figured that was just something to show me a number before I picked it up. Nope, that's all they had. The guy that tuned it said he couldn't get an RPM reading because of the coil design (something about 2 wire vs 4) so the dyno would read it was at like 20k rpm. They use a dynojet 224x. Is this really a thing? I'm not really happy about the whole thing since he didn't do a baseline, they were supposed to record the dyno, and then all I get is that weak ass graph. I understand the dyno is just a tool but it would have been nice to see what the gain was and also be able to see where it makes the best power.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:02 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
It's not an uncommon thing for a shop to not be able to record torque, just depends on the level of **** giving and knowledge the operator has.

Sounds like the shop has other issues taking precedent over their customers cars.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:56 AM

Well they mainly work on LS cars (vettes, Camaros, etc.), mustangs, and chargers/challengers. I've pretty much decided they didn't care about my car as much since it's a FWD 4 cyl.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:02 AM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Ya it's a common issue on Cobalt.

My tq number got cut in half and rpms were doubled. The curves were both really shaky.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:05 AM

https://imgur.com/ni6JL8Q

Won't let me embed.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:07 PM

I was pm'd on here and the person said they just had to peel back the wire loom for #1 cylinder and then they could have got a signal. I'm not sure what they did and I'm contemplating if I should even say something to them or just let it go.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by jmix
I was pm'd on here and the person said they just had to peel back the wire loom for #1 cylinder and then they could have got a signal. I'm not sure what they did and I'm contemplating if I should even say something to them or just let it go.
Bluelightning spent some time with a local dyno shop trying to get it to work. Every Cobalt that ran the dyno had the same issues. TC's worse than SC.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
it shouldnt be an issue as long as they have a low voltage induction pickup. i had to play around with both my cobalt and 944 to get it to pick up the rpm, and then had to change the multiplier in the dyno program, but once you get it, it reads correctly. hell, you can even pull the coil out and use a plug wire from a 240 between the coil and plug and use the spark plug wire pickup. we do that to so you can use a timing light when setting up a stand alone, but you can use it for the dyno pickup.
The following users liked this post:
jmix (03-14-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 04:58 PM

I think it's basically what ecaulk said and their "level of **** giving" was low on my car. I didn't get them to install $10k in parts on my car and it wasn't a corvette for some rich guy that only drives it on the weekend.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:21 AM

Received 164 Likes on 126 Posts
Where in VA are you, and what shop was it?
Old 03-14-2017, 05:19 AM

I'm in suffolk and it's va speed.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
it shouldnt be an issue as long as they have a low voltage induction pickup. i had to play around with both my cobalt and 944 to get it to pick up the rpm, and then had to change the multiplier in the dyno program, but once you get it, it reads correctly. hell, you can even pull the coil out and use a plug wire from a 240 between the coil and plug and use the spark plug wire pickup. we do that to so you can use a timing light when setting up a stand alone, but you can use it for the dyno pickup.
Sharkey, can you please explain exactly what you did? Do they just need a low voltage induction pickup clamped directly around the coil pack wires for number 1 cylinder and then adjust the multiplier (by how much or does it vary) in hp tuners? They agreed to let me bring the car back and give me a couple more runs for free so I'd like to help out as much as possible to get the dyno to read torque and rpm. Again, it's a dynojet 224x dyno.

Thanks everyone for the responses.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:33 AM
Slobodan Milošević

Received 215 Likes on 175 Posts
I know of multiple deltas that have been on a dynojet, including mine. Rpm signal/induction lead was just clamped around one of the coil pack's signal wire.
jmix (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 10:21 AM

Well I just received an email back from them about trying what was said before (clamping the wire and adjusting the multiplier on the dyno) and this was their response.

"This Friday at 3:15 will be good. We do have a C7 that will be tuning that day but we can squeeze in for the dyno pull at 3:15. I did speak with Justin and he is able to provide you with Boost and AFR at the time of the dyno run. In order to provide a proper tach signal from a GM coil is a lot change to our standard dyno program set up. We have the latest Dyno Jet hardware and software and it is not in the best interest of our set up to make these changes."

They make it seem like it's not easy (really just seems like it's not like a vette) so they don't want to make the change. The boost info they are talking about is I requested they turn it up in first some more.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:43 AM
Slobodan Milošević

Sounds like you need to go to a new shop
Old 03-14-2017, 12:03 PM

There is only 3 in my area and one of them basically blew me off. I ended up going with this one over the third because for $100 more they road tune after the dyno. In hindsight I would have chose the third but now I'm $750 into this shop. I even emailed dynojet and this is what they said:

"Without knowing the specific equipment or the dyno control program this shop was running I can’t speak to what this shop may or may not be able to do. However, with a primary inductive pickup on the coil trigger wire or an ECM signal wire you should be able to get an RPM source on this car. Yes, you are correct we need RPM in order to calculate torque, it could be that they are use to only sampling from a spark plug wire with a secondary inductive and may not have had the primary inductive available, or perhaps they were using a third party system or program in order to read RPM some other way. We know not every car is going to have RPM sampled in the same way every time, for this reason we offer several ways of picking up RPM. Thank you for your time, please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.".
Old 03-14-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Well I just received an email back from them about trying what was said before (clamping the wire and adjusting the multiplier on the dyno) and this was their response.

"This Friday at 3:15 will be good. We do have a C7 that will be tuning that day but we can squeeze in for the dyno pull at 3:15. I did speak with Justin and he is able to provide you with Boost and AFR at the time of the dyno run. In order to provide a proper tach signal from a GM coil is a lot change to our standard dyno program set up. We have the latest Dyno Jet hardware and software and it is not in the best interest of our set up to make these changes."

They make it seem like it's not easy (really just seems like it's not like a vette) so they don't want to make the change. The boost info they are talking about is I requested they turn it up in first some more.
This shizz makes me mad. What's it to them what kind of car you drive? "We do have a C7 that will be tuning that day..." why the eff should you care???

"...it is not in the best interest of our set up to make these changes." in other words we don't want to make any effort. Screw them. I'd let them finish what they can, then time for some bad reviews everywhere you can think of (yelp, bookface, etc.)
Old 03-14-2017, 02:59 PM

Sharkey, can you please explain exactly what you did? Do they just need a low voltage induction pickup clamped directly around the coil pack wires for number 1 cylinder and then adjust the multiplier (by how much or does it vary) in hp tuners? They agreed to let me bring the car back and give me a couple more runs for free so I'd like to help out as much as possible to get the dyno to read torque and rpm. Again, it's a dynojet 224x dyno.

Thanks everyone for the responses.
we used the primary inductive pickup on one of the 4 wires at the coil. sometimes you can even clamp around all 4 and get the reading. with the lsj coils i got a signal pretty easy, however i know i had to fiddle around more with the lnf/2.2/2/4 style coils. once it gets a signal on the dyno computer they just need to change the multiplier so the rpm on the dyno computer matches the tach. its a drop down menu, options are something like 1x, 2x 4x and 8x. its really simple, if these guys have ever dynoed a mod motor mustang or new hemi they should know how to hook it up.

in our shop we only use the primary inductive pickup unless the car has a distributor.
jmix (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 03:15 PM
Slobodan Milošević

stop giving them your money. They obviously don't care about you
Old 03-14-2017, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 07blackg5
stop giving them your money. They obviously don't care about you
I gave them money one time and this thread is basically the results. Me going back is for free. If I knew how to tune than I wouldn't take my car anywhere since I do pretty much everything else. They did tune the car and it runs good but I didn't like paying $750 for a graph that just shows an incline from 50 mph to 123 mph with a HP number.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:04 PM

That's risky. LNF tuning is apparently a lot different than ls tuning

Probably a ton of hp left on the table

Last edited by cluelessk; 03-14-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:15 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Did or can they give a raw data file? If you know the speed you can get the RPM based on gear ratio...
Old 03-14-2017, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by exninja
This shizz makes me mad. What's it to them what kind of car you drive? "We do have a C7 that will be tuning that day..." why the eff should you care???

"...it is not in the best interest of our set up to make these changes." in other words we don't want to make any effort. Screw them. I'd let them finish what they can, then time for some bad reviews everywhere you can think of (yelp, bookface, etc.)
I completely agree. I even told them I was off next friday but they would rather work me in around the "C7" this friday afternoon.

Originally Posted by Sharkey
we used the primary inductive pickup on one of the 4 wires at the coil. sometimes you can even clamp around all 4 and get the reading. with the lsj coils i got a signal pretty easy, however i know i had to fiddle around more with the lnf/2.2/2/4 style coils. once it gets a signal on the dyno computer they just need to change the multiplier so the rpm on the dyno computer matches the tach. its a drop down menu, options are something like 1x, 2x 4x and 8x. its really simple, if these guys have ever dynoed a mod motor mustang or new hemi they should know how to hook it up.

in our shop we only use the primary inductive pickup unless the car has a distributor.
Thank you for the info. Hopefully the tuner is receptive to attempting this since the person I've been emailing makes it seem like it's impossible.

Originally Posted by cluelessk
That's risky. LNF tuning is apparently a lot different than ls tuning

Probably a ton of hp left on the table
How so?

Originally Posted by exninja
Did or can they give a raw data file? If you know the speed you can get the RPM based on gear ratio...
I'm not sure if they can or not. This is all I got.

Name:  Cobalt%20dyno_2.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  28.3 KB

Mods are 2.9 pulley, full zzp exhaust (shorty header, catted 2.5" exit DP, catback), 60's, walbro 255, zzp HE, dual pass and option B. The engine also has 157k miles so it's not new or anything.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:39 PM
Slobodan Milošević

And they gave you uncorrected numbers? This place is a joke
Old 03-14-2017, 11:13 PM

some shops prefer to use uncorrected numbers. correction factors just tell you what it would make under different conditions. myself, i prefer to know what the cars making right here right now. all correction factors are good for is trying to compare with another car.

as it comes down to, the dyno is a tuning tool and the numbers tell you if your going in the right direction or not. its primary use isn't to see who's car has the bigger d!@#