Tuning For tuning and related discussions

Bad ZZP PCM, ZZP refusing to refund or fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad ZZP PCM tune, ZZP refusing to fix

I recently purchased a PCM from ZZP to get a tune on my car. After installing my PCM it immediately threw a code for bank 1 too rich. I emailed ZZP about it and they immediately blamed my tune. After I told them I already had their tune they replied that the issue must be with my car then. I never had this code on the previous PCM and now my car is just dumping tons of fuel out at all times. ZZP refusing to help or even remotely take responsibility for sending me a bad tune.

So now I have a car that doesn't run good, worse than it did before the tune, and the company ZZP refuses to take responsibility or even try and work with me. They just want to blame anything but themselves.

Thanks ZZP for the lack of customer service.

Last edited by Flow; 02-11-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:40 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Lol. Try to install the original ecm?
Old 02-11-2017, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Maybe he did the core sxchange
Old 02-11-2017, 09:02 AM

I did do the core exchange and I kept the core for extra days. I swapped my GMS2 core back on and my problem went away with bank 1 too rich.

The whole ole point of getting a tune was to get rid of my engine light from my header and now I have another check engine light for something completely unrelated and it's bank 1 too rich.

Car sputters at wide open throttle, so rich a wideband won't read, blowing fireballs out the exhaust.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm kind of having a similar issue. I got their tune so I could drop to a 2.9 pulley with 60's. The only code my car has ever thrown since I've had it is for the evap sensor which was months ago and I fixed it. Anyway, after installing my pcm with their tune (sent mine in since they didn't have any 06 cores) after 25 miles of driving I got a p0171, 300, and 315. I was running the stock airbox (modded) so I didn't understand the 171. I did find the fitting with the hose going back to the valve cover was separating from my intake tube so I sealed it up and the code stayed gone for 200 miles and then came back (with the p0315 again, p0300 went away). The p0315 didn't make sense since I sent in my pcm. I can't get the case relearn to work with my scan gauge and after reading it doesn't seem I'll be able to with the 171 code present. Long story short I'm taking it Tuesday to have it tuned locally. Sorry to rant in your thread but it seems that their tunes are sh*t.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:18 AM

I think the part that works me up the most is the part where they refuse to even try and help or diagnose the issue. Instantly blames everything but the one thing I changed, the PCM.

Im going for a full refund, my car doesn't run right at all and I am 100 percent miserable with the tune and ZZP. I had 1700$ saved up to spend on my SS and it will NOT be spent at ZZP, I can assure you of that.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:00 PM

I did email Tim when I first got the codes and he told me that the lean code (171) was probably causing my other two. It seemed like it would work at first but then when I fixed the only problem I could find and it still came back then I dug into it more online. I too didn't have any codes until the tune. I saw several threads with people getting codes post email tune and it seemed the general consensus was to get a "real" tune. I did read where some did logs and sent them back to ZZP to get their issue resolved but I don't have a way to log.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:02 PM

If the ecu were jacked up, youd have more problems than that.you have a canned tune. No wonder it runs rich. You need a custom street tune if you don't want a check engine light

Florida doesn't even have emissions testing, so why did you care about the original check engine light?

Last edited by southal cobalt; 02-11-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:50 PM

The PCM itself is fine . However the tune is not. Yes it's a canned tune but it shouldn't be so rich that it's throwing codes and the car is barely running.

Single digit AFR is ridiculous too, along with shooting fireballs, and the car dumping fuel.

Worst part is the lack of help from ZZP on their tune that's destroying my car.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:06 PM

I probably don't want a check engine light because who wants one. Regardless if I live in Florida or not I don't want a CEL.

The tune is terrible, this isn't like an issue where it's a canned tune and I'm missing a little power or drivability. This is an issue where I'm fouling plugs, dumping fuel, backfiring and washing cylinder walls.

Then having ZZP say it can't be our tune, it's definitely your problem, while having a GMS2 PCM run fine on my car.

Do you get the point? I wasted money already once, and I'm going to have to do it again just to get my car running how it was before the ZZP tune.

No help from ZZP whatsoever other than pointing the finger at me.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:33 PM

By the way, one of my issues is the car revs too high, he blamed my PCM until he found out I had his PCM then wouldn't reply about the car revving to nearly 8k!!

So he knows the PCM tune he sent me is bad, and yet he's still blaming my car.

Last edited by Flow; 02-11-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:05 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
the guys at zzp are usually pretty good. its pretty clear these is something wrong with the tune. id give them another chance, call them and tell them you have swapped your gms2 ecm back in and the car runs fine.

im sure someone from zzp will chime in here, and if they dont, email a link to this thread to their customer service.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:23 PM

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts
Just a thought, is there any chance you told the wrong injector size? I don't know LSJs much so I dont even know if that's possible, just throwing it out there.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:52 PM

Injector size is correct, they're new and have been flowbenched. Even the sticker on the PCM matches.

Sharkey, I would 100% give them another chance, but so far I haven't even remotely gotten anywhere except being blamed.

Something is wrong, mistakes happen.

I already sent the GMS2 back or I would of send them back their PCM if I was thinking.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:33 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Sound like they scaled the injectors wrong. Send it back and get another PCM, or have someone local with HPT check it and see. If you were in south FL i'd be happy to pull the tune for you and see what could be wrong.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:14 PM

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Flow
Injector size is correct, they're new and have been flowbenched. Even the sticker on the PCM matches.

Sharkey, I would 100% give them another chance, but so far I haven't even remotely gotten anywhere except being blamed.

Something is wrong, mistakes happen.

I already sent the GMS2 back or I would of send them back their PCM if I was thinking.
If you really want to get a response you should post in the facebook groups as well. Steve, Ryan, and the rest of the ZZP guys are on there. You get answer quick.

Anyway.....

You know if there were issues with you PCM not acting right it says on their site to keep you PCM until it get worked out. I don't know how soon you contacted them, but I know I would not have sent back the good working ECU. From what you described, unless your missing details then it sounds like its something ZZP did, and you should have been able to send it back and either get refunded or them correct the issue. Honestly I feel like there is more to the story, ZZP is usually pretty good with customers when ZZP screws up. I have seen quite a few times people blame the company for something that wasn't the companies fault. Usually there is one detail left out that changes the whole story.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:32 AM

Continued refusal for any type of customer service. In the past couple hundred miles I'll fouled out a set of plugs and fouled an o2 sensor.

Heres my emails and proof for anyone doubting this shabby company and refusal to fix their mistakes.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:49 AM

ive seen worse on the 02 sensor. I had one that still worked even though it was burnt half up

1st of all, what cel code were you having that you tried to get rid of? p0420 or something else? 0420 is the only one that a zzp tune will get rid of. do you have anything other than p0171 or 72? whatever rich is. cant remember

there are some emissions problems that can arise, specifically from a shorted wire blowing the emissions fuse. that will cause your car to run pig rich. It has to force open loop and throws black smoke out of the exhaust and gets 15 mpg. I know this by experience when my rear o2 shorted out

it would be helpful if you knew someone with hptuners to pull the file and look at it. Until that happens, you wont know what is going on until zzp ships back your original ecu

I like my check engine light on my car. So much so that I put a sticker on the back window of a cel
Old 02-16-2017, 11:52 AM

The only CEL I was trying to get rid of was 0420, now I have a new CEL, whatever the rich code is, 172 or 171, yeah the o2 isn't terrible but there's no miles on it either and it's fouled, had to replace it. My car didn't have any running issues on the previous PCM and only changed it out to delete the p0420 code.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey WIlliam, i was forwarded your email chain, and have replied. please take a step back, and understand that i am a fresh set of eyes on this problem. i would like to start over, to see what we can do to resolve this issue.

Tim has forward me the rest of the chain that you did NOT post here, which appears to show that your car has had drivability issues since you got it. while it looks like you think you have figured it out, i would not be so quick to blame the tune necessarily, as you appear to have intermittent issues anyways. lets figure this out man! im ready to help. just reply to my email

> I'm assuming I contact you about the PCM. It's been a couple days now and I'm getting bank 1 too rich code. It came on right away pretty much after the PCM install. It was off for a whole day but is back on.
>
> Also it seems to rev 7500? I'd believe this to be an inaccuracy in the rpm gauge more than my cars actually revving that high.
>
> I read about paperwork to "fill out" before sending the PCM back but I only received a receipt and a paper with PCM and a bar code on it. Is that the paper you all need? Thank you as always.
>
> Sincerely,
> William.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jan 24, 2017, at 5:24 PM, Tim B <tim@zzperformance.com> wrote:
>>
>> That is great news.
>>
>>
>>
>> Thank you for your business,
>> Turbo Tim
>>
>> Don’t forget to leave us a review on our product and Facebook Pages!
>> For the latest and greatest news, discounts, and specials for YOUR vehicle platform, be sure to follow us on our brand new Twitter , Instagram, and Facebook pages!
>> This is an e-mail from ZZPerformance.com. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information. No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: William
>> Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 3:59 PM
>> To: Tim B <tim@zzperformance.com>
>> Subject: Re: 06 Cobalt PCM
>>
>> I fixed it. Massive leak at the canister that showed its face under boost. I had to change the purge valve and noticed the line was loose. Something is broken with the connector but once held on the car pulls. I'm only getting 15psi now too.
>>
>> Can't wait for your tune! Thank you for everything.
>>
>> Thank you!
>> William
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Jan 24, 2017, at 2:44 PM, Tim B <tim@zzperformance.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> This has been happening a lot lately, these cars are on their 2nd or 3rd owner since they were modded and the tune doesn’t match the current batch of mods on the car.
>>> I think the tune is a good start as well.
>>> Who knows it could have a 42# file, 60# injectors, and e85, ya never know. Start with the file and see what happens.
>>> It never hurts to verify the o2 sensor is good, they are known to melt and fall apart.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Thank you for your business,
>>> Turbo Tim
>>>
>>> Don’t forget to leave us a review on our product and Facebook Pages!
>>> For the latest and greatest news, discounts, and specials for YOUR vehicle platform, be sure to follow us on our brand new Twitter , Instagram, and Facebook pages!
>>> This is an e-mail from ZZPerformance.com. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information. No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: William
>>> Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:49 AM
>>> To: Tim B <tim@zzperformance.com>
>>> Subject: Re: 06 Cobalt PCM
>>>
>>> Well that's why I'm getting the tune. I have no idea what the car is tuned for or what for. I bought the car at a used car lot and it drove fine the day I got it. The next day it started to miss here and there under heavy load, day after it's missing all the time. However the issue comes and goes. There's times it screams and most of the time it's running rough. Trying to locate the issue I found the previous owner of my car on the forums. He had the car from 40-110k and at 70k he put your mid tube header on, he said the issue started when the header was installed, before that it never once had the issue. When I got the car there was 60lb deka injectors in it. The cars LTFT and STFT was -30.7 at almost all times. I saw the pulley, belt and saw it revved 7k and thought it probably has the GMS2 tune. So I tried 42lb injectors. Upon installing them my misfire at idle is gone and my fuel trims were 0.0-2.0 (so normal), but the car still misses.
>>>
>>> It's been throwing random codes all over but the code never once repeats. Ever since I changed the injectors it hasn't thrown a single code other than p0420 which it will always throw. It's been over 1500 miles on 42s now with no codes. But the issue is still there.
>>>
>>> So that's why I purchased the tune (PCM) from you last night, it needs to be tuned to what it has first anyways. Honestly the car seems like it's confused on what's happening. I can't see too much as far as PID's go because I only have a cheap scanner most of the time so I can't really watch the sensors well.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:03 PM

Also, it looks like you have an Injen intake. double check the WHOLE intake tube. they are known to rub thru in several spots, which will definitely cause issues with a post-MAF air leak. it is possible that it was REALLY close to rubbing through, and when you swapped the PCM, jiggling the pipe around could have finished it off.

****not casting any blame, just pointing out something i have literally seen dozens of times. just something else to double check.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:04 PM

Received 417 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Sound like they scaled the injectors wrong. Send it back and get another PCM, or have someone local with HPT check it and see. If you were in south FL i'd be happy to pull the tune for you and see what could be wrong.
Try to get this done. Document your findings, send results back to ZZP. Don't keep messing up your emissions system.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:08 PM

I just replied to you.

Zzp is finally helping.

Intake tube is all good, one of the first things I checked.

My car did have issues from a boost leak fhat that I couldn't find. That leak was fixed and fully addressed before purchasing your tune, and has been to two shops for leak tests, including my own, and shows no leaks.

The car runs fine fine on my old PCM which is why I emailed you to just send my original PCM back. Can't see why a mechanical failure such as a leak only shows its face on your PCM not the GMS2.

Ive broughten my car to two shops now and both blamed the tuning on the car. Mechanically my car is sound right now besides the issues I'm having with the PCM.

Thanks again Steve!
Old 02-16-2017, 12:09 PM

in order for the injector chart to be wrong, it would have to be a stock injector file, but even still, that would run 42s. your fuel trims would scale, and it would 'work'....it wouldnt be single digits rich much past initial fire-up.

if you can find somebody local with HPT to get a datalog, that will tell us a LOT. a good datalog will shine light on what is going on for sure.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:15 PM

Unless I find someone for free sounds like I'm paying to solve your (ZZPs) problem.

I think you left out an email when trying to prove I had issues before the tune...