Tuning For tuning and related discussions

A Cobalt SS Owner is Offering to Tune My SS/TC w/ HPT for $50. Too Good To Be True?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECaulk
You don't need more fuel to prevent knock on e85 or e47 with the LNF, people run 0.88-0.90 PE on e47 up to 24* with no knock, and e blends burn cool enough to not need extra fueling to cool the cylinders
Yes I was running .86 is im not mistaken on my car with 24 degrees of timing at the top end. But it does depend on where you live, here in socal, it can get hot in the summer, so you want that little bit of extra fuel so that your car does not have issues in the summer.

I was running a e47 tune on my car, and if I had any knock on the tuning logs, I could do a few things. I could recalibrate the maf to make sure that was not the issue, which I had dialed in already. I could subtract timing, or I could enrich the mixture. Maybe each tuner is different but, to me enrich the mixture is the best way, because you are not losing the timing that you want for power and its overall safer than allowing your car to run lean.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I think you've kinda proven you know what you're doing, at least to the extent you're able to by having to defend yourself on a public forum. Sorry for the negativity man, mine was just a joke, nothing personal.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
You really cant beat 50 bucks. Even me when i payed 200 for mine i asked questions just be sure, for sure nothing personal with my tuner just have to be careful with whats out there. If bryce is still down you should get tuned by him seems like he knows what hes doing then again idk how to tune so couldnt really tell lol
Old 05-18-2015, 02:01 PM

Another reason I was so upset, is because another member also was going to have me tune his car yesterday, and I think he seen this thread and backed out. He didn't call me or anything, so I text him and he just said he couldn't make it down.

I would still love to tune his car, just to prove that I know what i'm doing.

A few years ago I used to go to all the car meets and stuff, and I guess everyone who knows me is no longer on this forum, so its hard prove that I know what i'm doing without someone to validate it.

Thanks for everyone who is actually listening to what I have to say. I really appreciate you hearing me out.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah its mostly new members now, dont take it to heart its hard to trust people when you dont know them or the work they have done. My tuner actually had another member here tell me he was tuned by him and love it so that was big part of my reason to get it from him
Old 05-18-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
keep doing your thing, prove them wrong.

I was just asking, cus 50 bucks Is not much, so you kinda have your doubts.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:18 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by brycerice13
Yes I was running .86 is im not mistaken on my car with 24 degrees of timing at the top end. But it does depend on where you live, here in socal, it can get hot in the summer, so you want that little bit of extra fuel so that your car does not have issues in the summer.

I was running a e47 tune on my car, and if I had any knock on the tuning logs, I could do a few things. I could recalibrate the maf to make sure that was not the issue, which I had dialed in already. I could subtract timing, or I could enrich the mixture. Maybe each tuner is different but, to me enrich the mixture is the best way, because you are not losing the timing that you want for power and its overall safer than allowing your car to run lean.
But you loose torque adding fuel. If you see knock with a e47 blend you have issues in other tables.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, if he is a legit tuner, then it sucks for me, I guess. Dude already PM'd me saying I can look for a different tuner then.
Oh, well. I guess me trying to be safe and making sure something I know very little about won't screw me over ended up screwing me over. I'll look for a different tuner then. If all else fails, I suppose I don't need a tune.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:42 PM

A Cobalt SS Owner is Offering to Tune My SS/TC w/ HPT for $50. Too Good To Be True?

sorry if someone gets that defensive over you asking the forums about it, he doesn't sound like someone you want tuning your car. look how he flipped in this tread, when nothing was directed at him beyond assumptions prior to you mentioning his user name.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
sorry if someone gets that defensive over you asking the forums about it, he doesn't sound like someone you want tuning your car. look how he flipped in this tread, when nothing was directed at him beyond assumptions prior to you mentioning his user name.
Definitely right. He shouldn't have flipped out like he did. I was merely trying to find out if this seemed like a 'too-good-to-be-true' deal. It's not like anyone was bashing him. Everyone was just suggesting I be wary of it.
And if he lost another potential customer because of this thread, well, does it matter? I thought he wasn't doing this for the money...? He said so himself that he is just trying to hook people up right here:
I thought I was doing this person a favor by tuning his car for $50 because I already have all 09's unlocked on my unit. But now I know don't do anyone any favors because everyone else will talk crap and think I have no idea what im doing if I give a good price. I do it just for fun now, not really trying to make money, just educate and help people.
If it's not for the money, then what's the point of being angry that you lost a potential customer?

Either way, Bryce, if you're a legit tuner, I don't understand why you are upset that I wanted advice first before officially coming to you. I wanted to be sure this seemed legit to other Cobalt SS owners. I will openly admit I don't know much about tuning, which is why I asked these guys for advice. I didn't want to end up screwed, potentially having a blown LNF engine in my garage. That doesn't sound appealing to me.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:57 PM

The only reason im upset and i dont think anyone else knows this, is you contacted me. You asked if i would do you a favor and tune your car. So i felt like i was helping you out and was giving you a really low price. Then after you already agreed to have me tune your car on Monday (today), you create a thread where everyone bashes me and you posted that you were not going to have me tune your car. But why did you never contact me and tell me that you were no longer interested? I actually spent a few hours transfering all my tuning files to my new laptop looking through my old log files. Its just messed up that you came to me then blow me off.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:00 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
The only reason im upset and i dont think anyone else knows this, is you contacted me. You asked if i would do you a favor and tune your car. So i felt like i was helping you out and was giving you a really low price. Then after you already agreed to have me tune your car on Monday (today), you create a thread where everyone bashes me and you posted that you were not going to have me tune your car. But why did you never contact me and tell me that you were no longer interested? I actually spent a few hours transfering all my tuning files to my new laptop looking through my old log files. Its just messed up that you came to me then blow me off.
I agree, he shoulda asked your rep before making an appt.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:36 PM

Dude, no one bashed you. It was assumptions based off of not knowing who he was talking about would perform the tune. Once he said who is was no one bashed you, but you decided to bash everyone in the thread.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:20 PM

You're right. I felt the need to find out if this deal seemed too good to be true. I wanted to see what these guys, most of whom I am 100% confident know more about the LNF than I can ever imagine knowing, would say about this $50 deal.
I planned to text you on Monday (today), but obviously you saw this thread before then and got offended by it. Nobody said anything negative about you; they only warned me that this might be a shady tune. Can you blame them? It did seem too good to be a real tune deal.
I'm sorry you wasted your time. I wish you luck in the future. I'm sure if you're a legit tuner, you don't need luck. I just hope that if you offer this deal to someone else in the future, you don't get offended if they make a thread asking for others' opinions on it.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

No need for anyone to get offended, the deal does sound to good to be true but after talking about it, now it seems like he knows what hes doing. Idk much about hpt but either way wouldn't you still need to unlock the vin or you just need to unlock the model and thats it?
Old 05-18-2015, 06:28 PM

That's what I'm saying. People were saying it costs $100/tune, so if he's charging $50, that means he's paying the other $50 out of pocket. I just thought it sounded too good to be real.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah i think thats what made it sound fishy, i dont think no one really said the guy couldnt tune and everything that was said was a guess, since we dont know him

Unless its 100 for the credits and 50 for the tune so 150 in total

Last edited by Snail_SS; 05-18-2015 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-18-2015, 06:40 PM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
If he is this arrogant and combative towards people, I wouldn't use or recommend him. Looks like you'll just get told you're an ******* if you ever ask him questions about it.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by eddieavila10
Yeah i think thats what made it sound fishy, i dont think no one really said the guy couldnt tune and everything that was said was a guess, since we dont know him

Unless its 100 for the credits and 50 for the tune so 150 in total
If the credits are unlocked for the specific model year/trim level it will work for VINs within that trim level/year, i think he said that he had them unlocked already, which is why he can get away with only $50 charge; no credit cost
Old 05-18-2015, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah thats what im thinking but like i said not know much about hpt
Old 05-18-2015, 07:59 PM

Yeah i already have that year unlocked on hpt. If i had to unlock it i would need to charge at least $100 more. That is why i was giving him that deal, plus i know the lnf like the back of my hand so to me its just fun to tune a stock car and see how the owner reacts when it feels like a whole new car. Sorry if i offened anyone i was simply trying to defend myself from all the skeptics, and i understand why. I would still do that deal for anyone in the area, but its not how i make my income. Like i said not trying to make money from tuning. Anyone that has been to my house would see why. I think im done with the cobalt world again, good luck to everyone with their cars.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Lol then my tuner overcharged me
Old 05-18-2015, 10:41 PM

Yeah i already have that year unlocked on hpt. If i had to unlock it i would need to charge at least $100 more. That is why i was giving him that deal, plus i know the lnf like the back of my hand so to me its just fun to tune a stock car and see how the owner reacts when it feels like a whole new car. Sorry if i offened anyone i was simply trying to defend myself from all the skeptics, and i understand why. I would still do that deal for anyone in the area, but its not how i make my income. Like i said not trying to make money from tuning. Anyone that has been to my house would see why. I think im done with the cobalt world again, good luck to everyone with their cars.
Well before you quit you can fly out to Ft Hoof and tune mine. 100 bucks, beer, and food for it. Lol.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:14 PM

Lol I'm actually a pilot I could fly out there but it would cost me way too much to fly out. Sorry. I can do it from remote if you can borrow anyones hpt.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:31 PM

Lol I'm actually a pilot I could fly out there but it would cost me way too much to fly out. Sorry. I can do it from remote if you can borrow anyones hpt.
Lol, no **** huh. PM'd.

Quick Reply: A Cobalt SS Owner is Offering to Tune My SS/TC w/ HPT for $50. Too Good To Be True?