Tuning For tuning and related discussions

EFR 6758 Tuning Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFR 6758 Tuning Help

Okay so about a month ago I installed ZZP's EFR 6758 turbo and was expecting big gains but i"ve been dissapointed so far. Before I was trifecta tuned (Not my choice thats how I bought the car) and it was running on about 24lbs of boost and now I can barely manage 10. It usually stays around that 8psi mark. I was going to have the car tuned but when I took it to my tuner he said he can't access the ECU because Trifecta apparently locks them so nobody can access it unless you reflash to stock which I don't have the stock file seeing as i didn't do the tune. That means new ECU on top of cost to dyno tune. Anyways I want to know if a dyno tune is going to fix this issue of running such low boost. I don't want to spend all this money for nothing if there is an easier way. I was told the wastegate could be the problem but I contacted zzp and they said its an internal wastegate and not to touch it and they already come pre-loaded so idk what to do. Any tips?
Old 05-11-2015, 09:00 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Where in CO are you? I have a trifecta tratrix cable and can flash your car back to stock. Also if the tuner has never done a GDI car we can get you the hook with Term who is one of the more experienced tuners for the LNF GDI and understands the Bosch GDI system very well, PM me for more info.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:01 PM

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Not sure if your trolling but....
Did you put the ZFR on without getting any kind of tune at all?

You should be able to borrow or buy a trifecta tune loader and get trifecta to email you a stock tune (for free I would hope) however it's A pretty damn terrible idea to be running a tune for a stock turbo with a ZFR. The computer probably didn't know what was going on and dialed down the boost to reduce airflow... Hopefully...

The ZFR isn't a "bolt on part" you might be able to drive it nicely for a bit but you could seriously screw up you car if you drive it hard without tuning for it:
Old 05-11-2015, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Like ECaulk said. Borrow a tactrix cable (it's not trifecta specific), download the trifecta software, request your stock file by supplying trifecta with your vin and flash the car back to stock. At that point the ecu can be read and flashed via HPT.

The only thing that I don't agree with ECaulk on is, that Term is basically the only guy to go to. He's not. There are a few other plenty competent tuners out there for these vehicles.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:29 PM

I no longer live in colorado. I'm military and recently moved to arizona. Like i said, we tried to have it dyno-tuned but like i said the ECU is locked so either i need to flash it back to stock or go with a new ECU. I can buy the trifecta cable for what like 200 or I can get a new ECU through ZZP and just send them the old one for 150 and have an already tuned ECU. Sounds like the better option in my mind. The question I have is what can I do about it only running 8lbs of boost. Is that because it needs to be tuned? Because before it was running 24lbs. I contacted zzp and they said it isn't normal for it to be running that low.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:36 PM

And also believe me, I've tried contact trifecta plenty of times. I can't find a number to call and they aren't responding to emails. To be honest I'd rather not try to deal with them.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't you simply do a write entire using HPT and a stock GM lnf tune from the hpt tune repository? I remember being able to straight up write over my old trifecta tune using hpt and write entire. As far as I remember trifecta simply doesn't allow you to read their tune or modify it in any way.

I'm sure efi live had the same capability of hats what your tuner is using.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by isaiah14212
I no longer live in colorado. I'm military and recently moved to arizona. Like i said, we tried to have it dyno-tuned but like i said the ECU is locked so either i need to flash it back to stock or go with a new ECU. I can buy the trifecta cable for what like 200 or I can get a new ECU through ZZP and just send them the old one for 150 and have an already tuned ECU. Sounds like the better option in my mind. The question I have is what can I do about it only running 8lbs of boost. Is that because it needs to be tuned? Because before it was running 24lbs. I contacted zzp and they said it isn't normal for it to be running that low.
You installed a whole new aftermarket turbo without a tune? Lol maybe stop modifying your car before you break it and take some time to learn a bit more about I platform.....
Old 05-11-2015, 10:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like Your computer is freaking out because it thinks it still has a stock turbo which flows less air, you need a tune asap. If your talking about the zzp canned tune this probaly will not work for your efr either although you could get someone with hpt to tune the zzp computer it wont be locked. The other problem with that is zzp may not accept a locked trifecta pcm as a core, but the bottom line is yes you need a tune and your proly going to need a new computer also sounds like trifecta has been har to get ahold of lately

Ps. Putting a different turbo on a car and not immediately tuning for it is bad mkay
Old 05-11-2015, 10:44 PM

The tuner I was talking too said he could get a stock file and over-write it but he's had a problem in the past specifically with trifecta and when it does that it typically corrupts the ECU. I didn't want to take that chance because then I would be out a car for a while and I need my car seeing as its my daily
Old 05-11-2015, 10:47 PM

The tuner I was talking too said he could get a stock file and over-write it but he's had a problem in the past specifically with trifecta and when it does that it typically corrupts the ECU. I didn't want to take that chance because then I would be out a car for a while and I need my car seeing as its my daily
Huh...weird. Hadn't heard of that happening. All you need to do is contact trifecta and ask for the original tune for your car. Also, I know I've heard most of their support goes through wot-tuning.com now.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:48 PM

If you came here to criticize you can leave because I really don't give two ***** about your comment. My turbo blew a little while back so I'd figured I'd upgrade instead of replace. And its a LNF PCM you basically just enter what you have done to your car and they tune this PCM for your car and options and send it to you then you send yours back. Its obviously not gonna be a perfect tune but hopefully will work for the time being and would also allow me to get it dyno-tuned because it wouldn't be locked. If they don't accept my PCM then its not a huge deal because it would cost 300 which is still cheaper then a new PCM
Old 05-11-2015, 11:04 PM

I'm just saying man. You made a major modification, didn't tune for it properly, and then come to the forums wondering what's wrong. If you are going to start modding you need to familiarize yourself with the platform and not simply modify by the seat of your pants without having any knowledge of how that mod will affect your vehicle. Simply put, by running the car as is with to tune for the turbo, you risk damaging the engine...
Old 05-11-2015, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
I dont remember his name but you should contact that guy with the red sedan from Phoenix. I know he uses trifecta maybe he has the cable to go back to stock

SL0baltSS is his username found it
Old 05-11-2015, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by cubaniche
Can't you simply do a write entire using HPT and a stock GM lnf tune from the hpt tune repository? I remember being able to straight up write over my old trifecta tune using hpt and write entire. As far as I remember trifecta simply doesn't allow you to read their tune or modify it in any way.

EFI live doesnt support Bosch ECUs. You have the potential of bricking the ECU writing over a Trifecta tune.

The OP needs to contact trifecta and get the stock file since they lock the ECU like dicks, you should be able to find a local with a tratrix cable you flash it back to stock then get tuned for the ZFR. For the time being keep out of WOT the engine can make adjustments but it's far from ideal and sometimes the ECU just goes nope screw it I'm out and going to default tables with can cause a lean condition or you'll get knock and boom there goes the engine.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:45 PM

I've been driving it conservatively obviously. but sounds like new ecu and tune is what i need
Old 05-11-2015, 11:49 PM

Here is the cable you need

Tactrix Openport 2.0

Contact trifecta for the stock file it shouldn't take them log to get back to you on that, making actual tune adjustments take some time
Old 05-12-2015, 12:49 AM

That cable is 170 and the new ecu is only gonna be 150. Seeing as i've already tried contacting trifecta 4 times and still no response i'd rather not put my trust in them.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cubaniche

Negative. I think it's worked maybe once with all the times I've tried with different trifecta tuned cars. What the difference was in this 1 situation compared to the rest? I honestly have no clue. It's just safe to assume that it won't work though.

EFIlive doesn't support the E69, however they do support just about every other Bosch ecm used by GM. lol
Old 05-12-2015, 08:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
And here I am being nervous about running a new intake/maf housing without a retune!
Old 05-12-2015, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
Negative. I think it's worked maybe once with all the times I've tried with different trifecta tuned cars. What the difference was in this 1 situation compared to the rest? I honestly have no clue. It's just safe to assume that it won't work though.

EFIlive doesn't support the E69, however they do support just about every other Bosch ecm used by GM. lol
I thought they only supported one or two other Bosch ecu and thats why they weren't going to deal with figuring it out for the E69, maybe I mis-read one of their Staffs forum post.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ECaulk
I thought they only supported one or two other Bosch ecu and thats why they weren't going to deal with figuring it out for the E69, maybe I mis-read one of their Staffs forum post.
I may not have seen that post, but I know for sure they support at the very least 5 (possibly 6) other Bosch ECU's in the Duramax alone, and they support that thing super in depth. Shoot, and that's only one platform, never mind the E39 and E39A which is used in quite a few platforms now.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:36 AM

I may not have seen that post, but I know for sure they support at the very least 5 (possibly 6) other Bosch ECU's in the Duramax alone, and they support that thing super in depth. Shoot, and that's only one platform, never mind the E39 and E39A which is used in quite a few platforms now.
I think it was the Bosch in one of the Duramax that ended them supporting Bosch ecus. Also not like the E69 is used in a large number of platform or in high volume
Old 05-12-2015, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ECaulk
I think it was the Bosch in one of the Duramax that ended them supporting Bosch ecus. Also not like the E69 is used in a large number of platform or in high volume
I sure hope that's not the case. They'd be losing a whole ton of business moving away from the duramax platform. Tuners almost exclusively use EFIlive for pretty much all duramax tuning. I'll have to look a bit more into this one now.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:36 AM

I sure hope that's not the case. They'd be losing a whole ton of business moving away from the duramax platform. Tuners almost exclusively use EFIlive for pretty much all duramax tuning. I'll have to look a bit more into this one now.
I think they'll be treading lightly after the EPA smacked down Edge Performance about the DPF.

Quick Reply: EFR 6758 Tuning Help