Tuning For tuning and related discussions

gms1 tune? want e47. warranty issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I currently have, at least I think, the gms1 tune on my car. When I purchased the car I bought an aftermarket warranty. I'm looking to do a tune on e47 but I'm not sure how easily a dealer would pick up the fact that the car is on E if anything were to happen. Also I'm looking for a tuner that will remote tune me for E
I have a few people in the area with hpt. To log but I'm not alexactly sure how that all works. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.

should I just cancel my warranty and get my money back?
Old 04-24-2015, 03:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
check the MAP sensor, is it black or blue? That will tell if you at least have gms1. If you're on E and your engine blows or something else, Run some 91 through it and get the E out. I don't think they will use tech2 to see if you have a tune.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:01 PM

The upgraded map sensors have nothing to do with the tune. Yes it has them but there are a lot of people who have aftermarket tunes who use the gms1 sensors.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:31 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Just make sure you're full bolt ons and then do it, but first replace spark plugs and then tune for it. I'd recommend carrying around a can of E to make mixing easier.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:11 PM

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Sl0wbaltSS
check the MAP sensor, is it black or blue? That will tell if you at least have gms1. If you're on E and your engine blows or something else, Run some 91 through it and get the E out. I don't think they will use tech2 to see if you have a tune.
Originally Posted by Sl0wbaltSS
Just make sure you're full bolt ons and then do it, but first replace spark plugs and then tune for it. I'd recommend carrying around a can of E to make mixing easier.
Please for ***** sake don't listen to ^this guy^. Don't ******* carry a can of fuel with you in your car for you to bathe in if you ever have an accident. Also how the **** are you going to run all the E out of your car if you blow the motor up? Have it towed to your house first so you can pull the rail off it and bleed everything out? That's fraud.

Honestly, you gotta pay to play. If blowing up your car and not having a warranty cover it is an issue, don't mod your car. Wait until the warranty is up or cancel it if they will give you cash back. Yes, they can scan your car for tunes. They will see how many times your ECM has been accessed and contrast it with how many times a registered mechanic has accessed it and deny service based on that. Honestly I had to use my warranty once and it didn't even cover my completely stock car after the deductible.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:47 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts

read the warranty terms, nothing we can help with from here. the warranty terms may not even list e47 or modifications as not allowed
Old 04-24-2015, 10:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Aftermarket warranties are a JOKE especially if you mod your car and heres why.

90% of aftermarket warranties cover a short labor rate. Example, you need a repair that alldata quotes 5 hours. Your warranty company will pay the 5 hours at $80 per hour. The shop you have the car at lets say is $110 per hour and you have a $200 deductible.

5 Hrs at $110 is $550. 5 Hrs paying the 30 difference is $150 + $200 deductible =$350......You have saved $200 because of your warranty you probably paid $800-$1800 for depending on coverage. Nice! One of the major things to add here is a max payout. When I was a service writer for BMW/Volvo, I had a young couple come in with twins XC90 V8 in tow.... Needed a new angle gear (escentially a new transfer case) I dont remember what the repair costs lets just call it $4000. I process the claim through her "aftermarket warranty" company. They sent an adjuster, approved the claim....Now, all aftermarket warranties cover are "AFTERMARKET" parts or what they call it. Meaning they will replace OEM parts with cheap **** from autozone. You cant get a vovlo xc90 v8 angle gear and t case anywhere but the dealer. So their warranty company approved the repair....with a $250 deductible and a MAXIMUM payout of $2000!!!!

Customer had to pay $250 deductible plus $2000 out of pocket! They said they paid $1700 for that powertrain warranty, can you believe that???

Only factory warranties or GMPP plans are worth have a damn. Problem is, if you blow something up, do you really want to replace it with factory if you plan on modding? NO way! Thats why save the warranty money and have your payroll manager drop like 3-5% of your paycheck in a new account. Start a rainy day car fund! Your wife might go bat **** so you just dont tell her!
Old 04-24-2015, 10:25 PM

Received 171 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by supernovanator
Honestly, you gotta pay to play. If blowing up your car and not having a warranty cover it is an issue, don't mod your car. Wait until the warranty is up or cancel it if they will give you cash back.
This is good advice. When I wanted to switch to E85, I canceled my extended warranty (I was even still under factory warranty at the time), and used the cash to complete getting all the boltons.
When I spun my bearings at the road track on that E85 tune (while still under factory warranty), I just bit the bullet and built the engine. Pay to play.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:03 AM

All you guys have been a ton of help. I'm curious. Will I get the cash for the warranty if it's applied to my loan or will it come off the loan amount? I'm most likely going to just cancel it. I paid nearly 2 grand and I'll probably never use it or its null anyways cause I bought the car modded anyways.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:10 AM

In response to the "don't mod your car if you have a warranty". Well I bought the car modded and the gms1 tune is going to grenade my motor. It's so lean it's scary. So.. yeah... there's that.

Edit: so I did a little research on my warranty which is through vehicle one. from what I'm hearing from actual customers who use this warranty is that it's not like described above. It is a company that's actually owned by GMAC which means it's very close to factory warranty standards. However it does state that any computer modifications will void the warranty. I'm curious as to if, since the gm stage 1 tune that's on the vehicle was warranty (able?) from the factory if veh1 wold recognize that or if they would just void it... my deductible is only 100 bucks. I'm very torn on what to do. If my warranty goes void I'm out my 2gs I paid for it right? Now obviously this is assuming I stay in my current configuration until the warranty is up. It's only a 3/36 and I'm already at 110...

Last edited by AZCobaltss; 04-25-2015 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:41 AM

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by AZCobaltss
In response to the "don't mod your car if you have a warranty". Well I bought the car nodded and the gms1 tune is going to grenade my motor. It's so lean it's scary. So.. yeah... there's that.
I didn't say not to mod it if you have a warranty. I said not to mod it if you care about the warranty. Canceling it could be tricky. I would speak to the warranty agency. They can guide you more than we can.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by supernovanator
I didn't say not to mod it if you have a warranty. I said not to mod it if you care about the warranty. Canceling it could be tricky. I would speak to the warranty agency. They can guide you more than we can.
Sorry I misunderstood. And yeah. It says in their website that I have to contact the dealer to cancel. If they can't help me THEN I go to them. And there's a "fee"
Old 04-25-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
what is the labor rate that the warranty covers?
Old 04-25-2015, 11:00 AM

I'm pretty sure it's all of it.