Tuning For tuning and related discussions

HP Tuner Chronicles: Tuning your L61/LAP/LE5 for better throttle response (pics/vids)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 06:38 PM

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts
HP Tuner Chronicles: Tuning your L61/LAP/LE5 for better throttle response (pics/vids)

We all know the throttle response on the L61 is bullshit. It's like watching two small children argue about politics. It goes nowhere. So here's how you can fix that in HP Tuners 2.24 and perhaps later versions. (Assuming this is still around a few years from now.) First, you NEED to make sure you have the latest edition of the HP Tuner software(In this case 2.24) on your computer. If not, you will **** your car up and it won't start, then you will not be in a good mood. It's reversible for the most part, but just make sure you do it right the first time. It'll save time and headache.

So now that we have that out of the way, let's start tuning. Hopefully you have read the tune on your car and have made several copies of it. I have a "Stock Tune" folder and a "Modded Tunes" folder in my laptop. I label each time I make changes, for example "Mod 1-- spd lmtr, PE, shft time." and "Mod 2--Mod1 + thrtl rate, shft pressure"

Step 0: Open your modded tune file.

Steps 1-5: Follow the instructions in the picture below. You want to open the throttle opening rate table. It is under Engine>Airflow>Electronic Throttle>Area Rate Limits> Opening Rate.

Name:  Throttleopeningratestock_zpsc0844a60.png
Views: 1979
Size:  94.0 KB

As you can see, the throttle opening rate is a pathetic 1-8%. This describes how quickly the throttle will open up to 2400rpm. I'm not sure if it is disabled above that engine speed, but you cannot modify it anyway. Here is what I adjusted my tables to, just for kicks. I have not set it to 100% yet, but I really don't need to. It is far peppier while stomping on the throttle now than it has ever been before.

Name:  Throttleopeningratemodded_zps48c7f7a0.png
Views: 1315
Size:  80.6 KB

All you have to do now is upload the tune! Remember to use the "Write Calibration only" flash. Now here are a couple of vids comparing the different tunes. Sorry, I didn't get a stock takeoff from idle vid. But I don't need to. You already know how horrible the stock takeoff is! Anyway enjoy! Hopefully you 2.2/2.4 guys can enjoy your cars more now.

First vid: Park revving before/after and uploading the tune.

Second vid: Modded Opening Rate takeoff from a dead stop.

Last edited by Jesse; 04-27-2013 at 09:05 PM.