Injector basics for LSJ

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great information, thanks for the write up
Old 08-20-2013, 06:38 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by lwrs10

I agree with you 100%. But there is no way you can argue that a split spray pattern injector is the best choice for a 4 valve motor such as the LSJ. While you can make the other injectors work well, imagine how much better it would behave with that same injector but split spray.
Oh I agree with that 100%
The Siemens/Motron are a dual negative; poor spray pattern AND atomization.
The ID's just spray so fine that they do alright. That same atomization in a split cone would be awesome.
The thing I've found is most large injectors are a tight angle, leads one to assume that it's easier to achieve a good compromise between volume and accuracy.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:33 PM

Bump. Just posted in your hpt thread. Maybe we can continue here though, more people will probably see it that way...
Old 09-15-2013, 01:52 PM

Going to a 2.9" pulley, might just go ahead and order up a set of these.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:24 PM

I'm game, So just call the place up and they'll know whats what then?

Do I need to get connectors with pigtails to wire into my harness or are these plug & play?
Old 11-17-2013, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
finally figured out why the LSJ computer handles the offsets the way it does. Will add this information soon....
Old 11-18-2013, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts
stickied it as it seems to be a damn good informational piece!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:08 PM

thanks!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:28 PM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
Did the data tables for these ever get posted?
Old 02-09-2014, 06:55 PM

Great Info
Old 02-21-2014, 10:21 AM

tunning or (A tune)

yes im a newbie. yes i want to make My stock ( no boost ) LS as fast as i can. I seeing the word Tune Comming into play here. Im new to tuneing and trying to make these cars faster. Is there something that you do your selves to tune the car or are you all taking it to the shop. are there chips that change the tune of the car. and what are some things you all doing besides the obvious TURBO\Supercharger. that are giving these cars a little ass.

and how the hell can you get the governor off. she shuts down at about 105. can you adjust that some how. I was runing a balt this morning and we were running along pretty good he was slowly pulling on me and then my governor kicked in and he was still going. I dont know what he had all the emblems were taking off the car. as the previous owners did with mine.

thanks
Old 12-14-2014, 07:08 PM

Hate to bump a dead thread, but I cannot find tuning information for these injectors ANYWHERE, does anyone have any info on what needs to be changed in HPtuners for these and to what exactly, I only have injector data for GM, bosch green giants, and siemens.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:01 PM

Pm me your email
Old 12-14-2014, 09:11 PM

Not that I am any help, but these injectors sound good to me, and I'd like to see this topic achieve some resolution, so I'm mostly just bumping TTT

from what I gathered from this thread and the one on HPT forum, Fuel Injector Connection has offset tables to go with the injectors, based on the OP's work.

the specific questions I have regarding use of these injectors vs. the rest of the tune, are:

whether the offset values get entered as -is or halved,
whether the stoich gets entered proper, or doubled,
and whether the IFR gets entered as 60 with no multiplier, 63.5 with a multiplier to bring it to 72, or some other value I missed in the two applicable threads.

what DO know is; I have mototron 80's and my car idles like crap. I believe I STILL don't have proper injector data. I'd love to get a great set of injectors with proper data, and finally get a decent baseline for a decent tune
Old 12-16-2014, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by wayfarer

whether the offset values get entered as -is or halved,
whether the stoich gets entered proper, or doubled,
and whether the IFR gets entered as 60 with no multiplier, 63.5 with a multiplier to bring it to 72, or some other value I missed in the two applicable threads.

If the info is out there, can we put some solid facts about Injector offset halving, working or non-working voltage multiplier etc. in this thread??

I have the same Bosch injectors in my Harrop-ed LSJ (super unleaded), but I'm using these in a return style sytem together with a Saab 3.0 bar regulator. That keeps my injector value just under the 63lb limit for all fields, so I don't have to dick around with multipliers...

Runs and idles pretty good, also with the ZZP Stage 2 cams.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:43 PM

The voltage multiplier does not work over 63.5
For example if you have an ifr of 50 and a multiplier or 2.0, it still caps at 63.5, not 100. Scaling needs to either be done through maf/ve or stoich.

I have verified this myself. 115# injectirs, ifr at 63.5 flat in the table (boost ref), multiplier of 1. I can change the multiplier to 2.0 and absolutely nothing changes. Not cranking, trims, or wot. Nothing. If that table worked over 63.5, my car would not have even ran when I changed it to 2, because it would have been only getting half the fuel.

As far as the offsets go, I have not taken the time to play with halving them and dialing them in. Tuning in offsets is a very time consuming process.

I have the injector data created by the op I need to dig up for spawnee and anyone else that wants it.
Take note though that this is his data, not mine, and he does not have it scaled properly.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by armcclure
As far as the offsets go, I have not taken the time to play with halving them and dialing them in. Tuning in offsets is a very time consuming process.

Take note though that this is his data, not mine, and he does not have it scaled properly.
are you saying that the offset table needed, that is available for the injectors recommended in this thread, is still flawed data ?
Old 12-17-2014, 09:37 PM

The voltage multiplier does not work over 63.5
For example if you have an ifr of 50 and a multiplier or 2.0, it still caps at 63.5, not 100. Scaling needs to either be done through maf/ve or stoich.

I have verified this myself. 115# injectirs, ifr at 63.5 flat in the table (boost ref), multiplier of 1. I can change the multiplier to 2.0 and absolutely nothing changes. Not cranking, trims, or wot. Nothing. If that table worked over 63.5, my car would not have even ran when I changed it to 2, because it would have been only getting half the fuel.
so if I understand this correctly;

the Mototron 80's in my car -- ZZP says they're rated at 89 lb/hr @ 43.5 psi, which translates to 102.77 lb/hr @ 58psi (stock fuel pressure in our LSJ's)

since 63.5 is the max, and the multiplier doesn't work, we enter 63.5 in every cell of the IFR table for a boost referenced system

then something else has to make up the change -- 102.77 divided by 63.5 = 1.618

so we could change the stoich by 1.618 --- 14.7 divided by 1.618 = 9.08, and then tune the MAF and VE tables normally

OR

leave the stoich as is and scale the MAF and VE tables by the same 1.618, and then tune them as normal

that sound correct ?
Old 12-18-2014, 12:29 AM

are you saying that the offset table needed, that is available for the injectors recommended in this thread, is still flawed data ?
I do not know about his offsets. Like I said I have not played with them; I just have the file he originally supplied. The only thing I know for sure is that in his file he uses the voltage multiplier, which doesn't work.
so if I understand this correctly;

the Mototron 80's in my car -- ZZP says they're rated at 89 lb/hr @ 43.5 psi, which translates to 102.77 lb/hr @ 58psi (stock fuel pressure in our LSJ's)

since 63.5 is the max, and the multiplier doesn't work, we enter 63.5 in every cell of the IFR table for a boost referenced system

then something else has to make up the change -- 102.77 divided by 63.5 = 1.618

so we could change the stoich by 1.618 --- 14.7 divided by 1.618 = 9.08, and then tune the MAF and VE tables normally

OR

leave the stoich as is and scale the MAF and VE tables by the same 1.618, and then tune them as normal

that sound correct ?
You went the wrong way on stoich, but you have the right idea. But, it's MUCH easier and equally as effective to simply use a factor of 2. As in cut the ifr values for the specific injector in half (assuming they're smaller than 127#), and either double stoich or cut maf/ve in half and fine tune. I tried the stoich method and had cranking fuel issues, so I simply reverted back to the scaled airflow. The only catch is any table that uses airflow as an axis needs rescaled also, but that's pretty simple.

If starting with a stock tune the
Old 12-18-2014, 12:46 AM

If its gonna be a nightmare trying to dial in these injectors because of a lack of HPT data I wont even bother, I would presume that ZZP has the bosch green giant #42's pretty well mapped out for HPT (i would hope) so if thats a better alternative Ill just go that route. I was going to stick with the LSJ injectors but everyone is saying once you go off the stock pulley they are useless, despite already having the fuel pump rewire which gave me about a 10% bump in fueling on the MAF table. Probably wont be enough for a 2.9 pulley.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:57 AM

Nope. You may get away with the gms2 injectors though.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:43 AM

I do not know about his offsets. Like I said I have not played with them; I just have the file he originally supplied. The only thing I know for sure is that in his file he uses the voltage multiplier, which doesn't work.
gotcha. I misunderstood your statement.

[/QUOTE] You went the wrong way on stoich, but you have the right idea. But, it's MUCH easier and equally as effective to simply use a factor of 2. As in cut the ifr values for the specific injector in half (assuming they're smaller than 127#), and either double stoich or cut maf/ve in half and fine tune. I tried the stoich method and had cranking fuel issues, so I simply reverted back to the scaled airflow. The only catch is any table that uses airflow as an axis needs rescaled also, but that's pretty simple.
[/QUOTE]

now I'm tempted to try this with my current injectors, before giving up and getting the 60's that started the thread. I have 2 or 3 different offset tables for 80's, I wonder which ones are "right" ?

Last edited by wayfarer; 12-21-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:19 PM

Nope. You may get away with the gms2 injectors though.
Cant find GMS2 injectors to save my life, unless someone has a PN for these I can buy them through the dealer.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Spawne32
Cant find GMS2 injectors to save my life, unless someone has a PN for these I can buy them through the dealer.
Talk to Tom at CED.

He can get u the injectors im sure.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:07 PM

You went the wrong way on stoich, but you have the right idea. But, it's MUCH easier and equally as effective to simply use a factor of 2. As in cut the ifr values for the specific injector in half (assuming they're smaller than 127#), and either double stoich or cut maf/ve in half and fine tune. I tried the stoich method and had cranking fuel issues, so I simply reverted back to the scaled airflow. The only catch is any table that uses airflow as an axis needs rescaled also, but that's pretty simple.

If starting with a stock tune the

That's the tricky one, as by scaling the MAF & VE table your ecm "sees" less airflow than there actually is! And this affects f.i. the ignition table that is based on measured airflow... There is a good write-up somewhere how to properly scale GM tunes. But then the problem arises that HPT does not give access to all LSJ tables and some of these should be altered for a proper scaled tune.

So that's why I changed my fuel regulator for a 3.0 bar Saab version and I don't have to scale anything for these Bosch injectors.
And my idle and transient behaviour is pretty good with these.

Quick Reply: Injector basics for LSJ