Tuning For tuning and related discussions

Possible fasle kr or ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 02:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Possible false kr or ?

Okay you lsj gurus
2.8, 60s, option B, Dual pass, ZZP intake, LS4 tb, ZZP HE, 92 gas tune
Got my fuel trims dialed in fairly decent. With an Average of -2% and about 5-6 % either way idle is around .8% ( would think trim at idle wouldnt make it kr)

Started with a ZZP tune and have been working the maf a bit to get everything in line. It started off a little lean (weird I know with a canned tune)

my big question is I noticed I have like .7 kr at all times even idle and it went as high as 2.7kr on a 80 percent pull in 4th for a couple second check to make sure pe was ramping in. Is this normal that you guys have seen on the LSJ. Granted this is a fairly high load area.

I started with the ZZP to give me a base since I use EFI live and dont have access to all the parameters as HP tuners gives support for on this pcm. Like the throttle scaler for the ls4 tb. Figured I would be safe to just do this and just dial in fuel and timing is needed.

I have not messed with their timing tables at all as they seem to be pretty safe. I had 11-12.5 degrees at 80 percent throttle from 34-3700 in 4th

idles at 7-10* but bounces some.

I have tuned many vehicles but not the lsj motor. Wondering if I have some sort of modifier or something giving the kr signal. So I am looking for input. Wondering if maybe I have a goofy sensor or some false knock from something. Car is on 92

Last edited by izcain; 01-11-2016 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:03 AM

Found an off idle misfire on the charts possible kr cause not a coil pack or plug either and it is very sporadic and mainly on cylinder 1 -2 looked for vacuum leaks also and found non.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:29 PM

Determined that the misfire is only on decel and/or coming right off of idle on extremely low load areas. Thinking it has to do with the injectors. Everyone seems to complain about the siemens not having good control at the very low end of the fuel. Ended up ordering ZZP coils just to see if they will help me bring the gap back out a bit and maybe smooth it a bit.

Now to just get the kr figured out. ZZP has stated that they remove burst knock in their tune. I would have thought they would keep it active for a canned tune safegaurd since they dont know how everyone drives. So it is making me wonder still if it is really knock or something it is anticipating.
'
Going to look tonight and see if the sensors are clocked as they should be just for the heck of it.

Man this section of the forum doesnt seem to get much action.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:36 PM

Just updating this.

Got the ZZP coils installed and the car is a bit smoother thru the rpm range. Was able to increase gap back to a .035 setting.

Have the trims down to -.5% as an average over a 35 miles drive home from work. It is getting smoother as I get the thing figured out. The misfire is no longer noticeable. Once getting the trims down a touch more and fixing a bit of a hole in the low end of the table it has come around quite a bit.

Aside from a hunting Idle and an extremely touchy almost light-switch kind of power delivery (was shocked at how fast boost ramps in.) I am pretty happy with it.

The idle is the last thing problem I am working on trying to tackle. I am comfortable with all other things. Trims will be good and timing looks good in that area and sometimes it is fine but once in a while you will pull to a stop and it will begin to hunt. Nothing that will kill the car but it is annoying either way. Guess I am just picky about things lol
Old 01-18-2016, 06:04 PM

Also to finish off this thread for anyone using EFI live which I know for most is rare I guess, since this appears to be much more HP tuners crowd. The LSJ offers two knock information pids, one of which does not show the correct knock information. Once I have the correct pid it displays no knock. Feeling much better now.

May end up getting HP tuners just to have access to the additional items plus it would give me that many more vehicles I can have access to.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:09 AM

Received 84 Likes on 69 Posts
I would have loved to help, but I do not use EFI Live only HP Tuners.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:56 AM

I'm finding they seem very similar just hptuners has many more parameters!
Old 01-20-2016, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by izcain
I'm finding they seem very similar just hptuners has many more parameters!
That part I do know. And since I am well versed in the LSJ and HpTuners it is way easier for me to tell you what to adjust/look at.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:58 AM

Im thinking about bolting on the stock tb just to see how it runs with it instead of the ls4. I like the response but it also makes 1st and second jerky when trying to take of a little quicker. It either wants to go like hell or take off slow. Anything more then that results in jerkyness and beings that I dont have access to the tb scaler in efilive I think maybe I will bolt the stock one back on until I buy hptuners also.

Although now that the scaler is different it may not work right anyways.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:28 PM

You can fix it in HPTuners.
I doubt anyone is going to be able to help you with it in EFI Live.