Tuning For tuning and related discussions

Tuner needed milwaukee, wi

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuner needed milwaukee, wi

need a tuner for my cobalt ss in Wisconsin or illinois area, i am willing to travel!
Old 03-26-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by KP4HUNNID
need a tuner for my cobalt ss in Wisconsin or illinois area, i am willing to travel!
I'm interested also,by the way hi^^^^
Old 03-27-2014, 04:01 AM

Hopefully we can find somebody! & hi, are you from the Milwaukee area?
Old 03-27-2014, 06:23 AM

I'm in Wauwatosa city,still Milwaukee county,I'm around Mayfair Mall near Capital Drive.
I was born/raised in Milwaukee,just bought my car couple weeks ago so don't know many people into these cars.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:36 AM

Yesterday I was looking at the gmtu stage one,they wanted 799.99,installed.
I can go aftermarket for around 300.00 can tuned, just don't like the fact if something happens to my car I have to get the tune out before it goes to the dealer.anyhow called another dealer told him price is way lower online for the kit he said I buy and they install for 100.00.kit is 485.00 plus 40.0 shipping think I'm going this route cause car seems way too slow.
I have a dodge car with programer and I wish they had something like it,it has couple can tunes and I can get custom ones done whenever,and take the tune out in couple minutes.
Oh mine is 09 turbo if you don't know what gmtu is its just a gm tune with higher boost.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:04 AM

Hey I'm in West Allis. If you're looking aftermarket and removable, maybe Trifecta or HP tuners will be for you. It will be more expensive than a can tune, but you can have adjustments made to your tune via email with Trifecta or even adjust them yourself with HP Tuners.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by CSRT4U
Hey I'm in West Allis. If you're looking aftermarket and removable, maybe Trifecta or HP tuners will be for you. It will be more expensive than a can tune, but you can have adjustments made to your tune via email with Trifecta or even adjust them yourself with HP Tuners.
I got a 2 year warranty with the car didn't want to lose that,couple years ago I wouldn't care about a warranty but now days I'm getting old and like the idea of a warranty.
If the gmtu doesn't cut it for me I'm going with trifecta that way my gmtu stays on all times and which to trifecta when needed,might not be much a difference I'm going to check on that when I get there.
Thanks maybe be see you around I have a 09 hhr ss
Old 03-27-2014, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nightwalkerhemi
Yesterday I was looking at the gmtu stage one,they wanted 799.99,installed.
I can go aftermarket for around 300.00 can tuned, just don't like the fact if something happens to my car I have to get the tune out before it goes to the dealer.anyhow called another dealer told him price is way lower online for the kit he said I buy and they install for 100.00.kit is 485.00 plus 40.0 shipping think I'm going this route cause car seems way too slow.
I have a dodge car with programer and I wish they had something like it,it has couple can tunes and I can get custom ones done whenever,and take the tune out in couple minutes.
Oh mine is 09 turbo if you don't know what gmtu is its just a gm tune with higher boost.
I wouldn't get a canned tune. I had one from zzp & it was horribly slow! But im actually leaning towards the hp tuners route i just dont wanna blow my car up lol but im constantly switching parts. But What u might wanna check into is an extra pcm get it tuned & u can just swap them out with factory tuned pcm when u go back to the dealer.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:57 PM

I wouldn't get a canned tune. I had one from zzp & it was horribly slow! But im actually leaning towards the hp tuners route i just dont wanna blow my car up lol but im constantly switching parts. But What u might wanna check into is an extra pcm get it tuned & u can just swap them out with factory tuned pcm when u go back to the dealer.
I know zz does it for 3800 motors but don't think they do it for the automatics,website says autos must be tuned in person only.least maybe get a fac
I like the PCM idea,I want them map's that come with the gmtu,might have better aftermarket program with them.
I feel ya on not blowing the engine to be honest with you I hear tons of horror story's with blow engine's,on this forum/hhr forum too,scares me.
I was on charger/300 forums never heard these story's,was on those forums for 4+ years,whenever someone was pulling a engine out,it was to upgrade it.
Thinking these people are hard on these cars they are just 4 cylinders maybe should beat on it,I was REALLY hard on the Hemi,but I try to take care of it now cause I'm little more grown.
Thanks for the info going to try and find a xtra PCM.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:39 PM

Missed the part when you said zz tune was slow,sorry was working when I responded,whats in my car now is factory map senser's,I want the better senser's cause I'm picky like that.the new senser's can handle more boost,maybe after I roll couple maybe one year thinking ill do aftermarket,that's why it would be nice to have a local tuner I'll feel more confident with A aftermarket tune.everything seems like it needs to be tweeted someway somehow.I can buy the senser's install and have a tuner tune my car would be idea for my situation.
I know all this tuning is old newes for some but there's new owners looking for the perfect package I don't think there's a perfect answer,unless you have a tuner on hand.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:24 PM

sadly there arent much for tuners in the state of WI, let alone the specific region of milwaukee. I know of guys that tune their own stuff (such as myself and quite a few of my friends), but speaking for myself I dont really like working on other peoples stuff for liability reasons.

The guys at Performance Autoworks in Chicago are awesome, and although a bit more on the pricey side compared to finding a private guy, its still cheaper than going to a dealership.. plus you get dyno numbers which street tuning cant do fwiw
Old 03-28-2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nightwalkerhemi

I know zz does it for 3800 motors but don't think they do it for the automatics,website says autos must be tuned in person only.least maybe get a fac
I like the PCM idea,I want them map's that come with the gmtu,might have better aftermarket program with them.
I feel ya on not blowing the engine to be honest with you I hear tons of horror story's with blow engine's,on this forum/hhr forum too,scares me.
I was on charger/300 forums never heard these story's,was on those forums for 4+ years,whenever someone was pulling a engine out,it was to upgrade it.
Thinking these people are hard on these cars they are just 4 cylinders maybe should beat on it,I was REALLY hard on the Hemi,but I try to take care of it now cause I'm little more grown.
Thanks for the info going to try and find a xtra PCM.
Yeah i have been threw a motor & trans already by spraying it. Its mainly on how u drive it & keeping up on maintenance with these cars. Keeping iats down & watching ur afrs under boost. But with more boost comes more problems.

Originally Posted by padlock
sadly there arent much for tuners in the state of WI, let alone the specific region of milwaukee. I know of guys that tune their own stuff (such as myself and quite a few of my friends), but speaking for myself I dont really like working on other peoples stuff for liability reasons.

The guys at Performance Autoworks in Chicago are awesome, and although a bit more on the pricey side compared to finding a private guy, its still cheaper than going to a dealership.. plus you get dyno numbers which street tuning cant do fwiw
Do u use hp tuners to tune ur own car? Im thinking bout going that route.....

Last edited by KP4HUNNID; 03-28-2014 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-28-2014, 12:42 PM

yes, I use HP to tune myself. A buddy of my with a big turbo LNF in milwaukee kinda gave me a good starting point with the "know-how" of HP Tuning (the HPT forums also help out more than I can even say).. its a big learning curve if you have absolutely no experience in tuning but 1000% worth it once you get the idea of what is going on and what your looking at.

for those who arent inclined at all to learn, Trifecta isnt a bad option. I had Vince tune my L61 way back in the day when it had full bolt ons. The car ran great (granted it was N/A so its a pretty difficult tune to really mess up), but I didnt like the fact that I was always waiting on him for the few revisions I did have. I guess you'll have that with most remote tuners though.

When I got my SS/TC I decided I wanted to take it into my own hands. about 6 months of reading on HPT forum later, starting playing with the ECU on my own car. No regrets whatsoever, just takes a lot of patience to correctly learn
Old 03-28-2014, 01:42 PM

Wow interesting,all info got me thinking too hard!!!brain storming!!
I do appreciate the info fellas,like I said I'm new too these cars,everything is real interesting.i really don't want to learn the hard way.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by padlock
yes, I use HP to tune myself. A buddy of my with a big turbo LNF in milwaukee kinda gave me a good starting point with the "know-how" of HP Tuning (the HPT forums also help out more than I can even say).. its a big learning curve if you have absolutely no experience in tuning but 1000% worth it once you get the idea of what is going on and what your looking at.

for those who arent inclined at all to learn, Trifecta isnt a bad option. I had Vince tune my L61 way back in the day when it had full bolt ons. The car ran great (granted it was N/A so its a pretty difficult tune to really mess up), but I didnt like the fact that I was always waiting on him for the few revisions I did have. I guess you'll have that with most remote tuners though.

When I got my SS/TC I decided I wanted to take it into my own hands. about 6 months of reading on HPT forum later, starting playing with the ECU on my own car. No regrets whatsoever, just takes a lot of patience to correctly learn
I might just go ahead & buy the hp tuners & do what u did. I think it will be a good learning experience. Did u buy off hpt off zzp?
Old 03-28-2014, 04:12 PM

i actually got mine used off a CSS member for $400 with 6 credits left. Lots of places to buy it though. ZZP, ebay, etc.. its universal so it doesnt really matter
Old 04-05-2014, 05:21 PM

Have a wideband? I'm in Racine, might be able to help you out depending on what you've done, or plan on doing.

I'll have to keep an eye out for you, if you hear a turbo redline, that's me lol.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:35 PM

We need to get a meet together and help each other with tuning.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:51 PM

I'm in the iowa area its a bit of a drive either way but I tune my own car also...had a few successes with other cars here if your willing to take a chance...
Old 04-06-2014, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by overboostedss
I'd be up for meeting sometime.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm likely making a trip out to Milwaukee for work this fall if you're willing to wait that long. lol
Old 04-11-2014, 04:07 AM

yeah man id be up for that.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:31 PM

you mean so you dont blow up more than just your own car?