Tuning For tuning and related discussions

ZZP or Trifecta Tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 05:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ZZP or Trifecta Tune

Hey all, I have a GM Stage 2 kit brand new in the box that I am looking to install but I need a tuning solution. The dealers here are clueless, so I am not letting them do the reflash. They have no idea what an Ion Redline is, let alone the GM stage 2. They seem to insist that it's aftermarket whatever. Anyways, all I want to do is install the GM 42's plus a GM Stage 3 pulley that I bought from CED.

I have been out of the LSJ loop for a while, but I remember that Trifecta used to offer a GMS3 tune that still enabled the air conditioning. I would really like to go with that, but from what I have heard they are no longer around or supporting the LSJ. Is that true? So I guess that leaves ZZP. How are their tunes?

I don't care about squeezing every last bit of power out of my car, and reliability and driveability is the main priority. So in that instance, a HPT or custom tune is out of the question. Sorry, I don't trust anyone when it comes to my car other than myself. So what kind of "canned" tune would be my best option?
Old 11-08-2016, 10:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 05RLS2
Hey all, I have a GM Stage 2 kit brand new in the box that I am looking to install but I need a tuning solution. The dealers here are clueless, so I am not letting them do the reflash. They have no idea what an Ion Redline is, let alone the GM stage 2. They seem to insist that it's aftermarket whatever. Anyways, all I want to do is install the GM 42's plus a GM Stage 3 pulley that I bought from CED.

I have been out of the LSJ loop for a while, but I remember that Trifecta used to offer a GMS3 tune that still enabled the air conditioning. I would really like to go with that, but from what I have heard they are no longer around or supporting the LSJ. Is that true? So I guess that leaves ZZP. How are their tunes?

I don't care about squeezing every last bit of power out of my car, and reliability and driveability is the main priority. So in that instance, a HPT or custom tune is out of the question. Sorry, I don't trust anyone when it comes to my car other than myself. So what kind of "canned" tune would be my best option?
Zzp if u don't wanna get hpt
Old 11-09-2016, 01:16 AM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
zzp uses hpt, go with zzp.
The following users liked this post:
Scythe_Snake (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 03:07 PM

Received 140 Likes on 120 Posts
zzp is a canned tune. it will work for a while but your best bet is to find someone with hptuners and then get a custom tune whether it be dyno tune, remote tune, etc. Trifecta is all nut non existent anymore so i would def not go through them
Old 11-09-2016, 03:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm obviously a bit biased, but our tune is leaps and bounds better than trifecta tunes.

Our "canned" tune have been taken to dynos and have been accurate within an percent.

We adjust the tune to your specific intake and everything, and we offer the same custom tuning that every other tuner does if you have HpTuners. We would be happy to email back and forth to get your tune squared away, or you can send your PCM into us and we will tune it and send it back. :-)

Last edited by Scythe_Snake; 11-09-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Scythe_Snake
I'm obviously a bit biased, but our tune is leaps and bounds better than trifecta tunes.

Our "canned" tune have been taken to dynos and have been accurate within an percent.

We adjust the tune to your specific intake and everything, and we offer the same custom tuning that every other tuner does if you have HpTuners. We would be happy to email back and forth to get your tune squared away, or you can send your PCM into us and we will tune it and send it back. :-)
trust me i am not knocking you guys at all because you guys do have the best ecotec support out there by far. whose trifecta anyways? haha. i guess i am a little biased too because i was always street tuned with a buddy of mine who knows the lsj and lnf platform exceptionally well lol.
The following users liked this post:
Scythe_Snake (11-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by hawkssoccer11
trust me i am not knocking you guys at all because you guys do have the best ecotec support out there by far. whose trifecta anyways? haha. i guess i am a little biased too because i was always street tuned with a buddy of mine who knows the lsj and lnf platform exceptionally well lol.
Oh I know you're not.

I was just saying that people have a negative connotation with the term 'canned tune' and they most time think its something its not.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i have a computer with GM stage 2 already flashed onto it i would sell for $180, let me know if you want to do that.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by hawkssoccer11
zzp is a canned tune. it will work for a while but your best bet is to find someone with hptuners and then get a custom tune whether it be dyno tune, remote tune, etc. Trifecta is all nut non existent anymore so i would def not go through them
I don't know or trust anyone that has a clue about Ecotecs, so that's out of the question. I have heard too many horror stories about so called custom tuners that end up blowing people's stuff up due to not knowing what they are doing.

Originally Posted by calo247
i have a computer with GM stage 2 already flashed onto it i would sell for $180, let me know if you want to do that.
If it was a simple as plug and play, I'd take it. I have an Ion RedLine and you have a Cobalt SS, it's not going to work. Plus, I'm sure there's more involved and that I can't just swap PCMs.

Looks like I will just go with a ZZP PCM. Scythe, if I go with a new PCM from you all flashed to a GM Stage 2 style tune can I just swap out the PCM once you have my VIN info? Or is there more involved in getting it to work?
Old 11-13-2016, 01:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
ya if its a redline it wont work. but it is plug and play for any 06/07 Cobalt 2.0L
Old 11-14-2016, 11:39 AM

Looks like I will just go with a ZZP PCM. Scythe, if I go with a new PCM from you all flashed to a GM Stage 2 style tune can I just swap out the PCM once you have my VIN info? Or is there more involved in getting it to work?
Hello,

We wouldn't flash a GM tune on it, we would be doing out own tune for your injectors and the like on it. Would you be trying to swap PCMs to a stock one and ours?
Old 11-14-2016, 12:36 PM

I don't know or trust anyone that has a clue about Ecotecs, so that's out of the question. I have heard too many horror stories about so called custom tuners that end up blowing people's stuff up due to not knowing what they are doing.

If it was a simple as plug and play, I'd take it. I have an Ion RedLine and you have a Cobalt SS, it's not going to work. Plus, I'm sure there's more involved and that I can't just swap PCMs.

Thats why you go to somebody who knows what they are doing when it comes to tuning ecotecs lol.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Scythe_Snake
Hello,

We wouldn't flash a GM tune on it, we would be doing out own tune for your injectors and the like on it. Would you be trying to swap PCMs to a stock one and ours?
I just want to get a different PCM with the ZZP flash on it.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:54 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Trifecta doesn't support the LSJ anymore
Tried to get some help with mine a few months ago and they were no help
Old 11-22-2016, 05:54 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
I just want to get a different PCM with the ZZP flash on it.
Not a bad idea, but if your pockets are deeper a remote tune using hpt is also a good way to go.