War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Turbo Redline vs. 556whp STi and Camaro ZL1 (VIDEOS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
^ x2
Old 10-18-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That z got smashed. Lmfao.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What kind of walk around are you guys asking for? haha
Old 10-18-2014, 04:45 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Man I wish you didn't live eleventy billion miles away lol. When I get the 300ZX back up I'd love to run something like your car.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by InfraRedline
What kind of walk around are you guys asking for? haha
Like the one were you prance around your car in a pink tutu and be all happy and gay.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:40 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
U know. Show the car off, do some revs, and talk about it.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:53 PM

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Like FCOTM?
Old 10-18-2014, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Haven07
Like FCOTM?
Yea but a video. Search youtube (insert car here) walkaround and you'll see what I mean.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by OzzyruleZ
Man I wish you didn't live eleventy billion miles away lol. When I get the 300ZX back up I'd love to run something like your car.
You know I'd be game haha. I also wish I didn't live so far from places that actually have nice weather too, trust me

Originally Posted by Wert842
Like the one were you prance around your car in a pink tutu and be all happy and gay.
Don't tempt me with a good time!

Originally Posted by tuned08ss
U know. Show the car off, do some revs, and talk about it.
Perhaps lol, I don't know about the narrative part though. I should really get some random videos of it this week though while its still nice out.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:40 AM

No narrative needed.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:20 PM

Oh yeah, I messed up

They can be impressive, but the thing no one tells you is that they are not a long term power maker. They require a lot of maintenance, and you don't wanna run them at high boost more than you have to at all if they aren't fully closed deck. I've seen quite a few friends with high hp Subie's go through multiple motors, some were road raced and some were just driven how we drive our cars. The 532whp STi I posted a while back is currently undergoing a rebuild for the 3rd time, and this one had about 10k miles on it at that power level, had low compression in #4. That seems to be the case with most of them, #4 always burns down. Little tricks like adding an equal length header and putting the strongest flowing injector (even though it will be so minimal) in #4 does help keep things a little cooler in there, but even this one in the video above, he just put $43k into this build, yes I saw the invoice, granted someone fucked up before on it and the shop had a TON of things to fix and make right, but the guys at the shop that built it this time even said to us "Yeah it is the real deal, he paid for about the best parts you can get, and it will make some damn good power and isn't a cookie cutter build, but it will still be back in here in 2 years or so because #4 will get hot." Now the blue WRX from before that a good friend of mine owns is on the opposite spectrum. He had the bottom end built semi closed deck and we finished up the rest, and I tuned it, so basically it was a budget build, but still pretty solid. He keeps it on lower boost until its play time and checks things over often, has only about $12-15k into the build/trans/turbo setup. So it will be interesting to see how each car lasts. Granted no 4 cylinder will last forever at these power levels, but there are things that you don't hear about on different platforms when it comes to building them. I have a sweet spot for them since I have been around so many, but I would never own one after helping with them and experiencing all of the builds and issues first hand. Sorry for all the text lol just shedding some light lol.

I should also add, the one in this vid is hoping for 650whp after he gets rid of the restrictions and raises the boost.
Setting some things straight as a Subie owner...

First red point: Car wasn't built right.

Second red point: EL headers won't fix cyl 4 issues, that's a fueling thing. Also, putting the strongest injector in (like you said) is minimal. Fuel rail routing is far more important.

550whp is nothing for the proper setup. Keep in mind, 99% of people don't use 550whp ALL the time, going to the grocery store, golfing, ect... most people don't live in Mexico.

I have a 600whp STi and have had it built for 2.5yrs making power the whole time. It has 25k miles on the block. My block isn't closed deck or sleeved or anything. Do I use 600whp all the time?...HECK no. I have it turned down unless I wanna play which is hardly ever. My car sits at 435whp at gate pressure.

Outfront Motorsports has a closed deck block that has yet to be broke, and there are 275 of them out in the field. A few 900whp cars are holding together fine. Granted, I expect something to happen as these cars are only 4cyl...they just don't have the strength of a V8 making the same HP but spreading that power out over 4 more cyl.

Tuning is the MOST important thing with these cars (of course building it for the proper purpose/power level is a given). If the tune isn't solid then you're asking for trouble.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:39 PM

The builds were done very stoutly, the one undergoing the build had a AMS longblock that was $16k alone, which is no **** lol, BUT reliability is also in the hands of the beholder. Some of these guys probably aren't the most responsible guys I will admit, so I'm sure that doesn't help matters, but in general it is harder to keep a high hp subie on the road than it is some other platforms, but there are more and more builds coming together that are proving to hold up. My friend that I mentioned has the 02 WRX that was in my last video is running an OutFront Motorsports closed deck block at ~550whp or so, and has seen 30 lbs on is 5858 quite often, but is usually around 24-25 lbs. His car was put together by us and has always been tuned by me, and we keep an eye on things. Hell his last motor was the stock EJ205 with 150+k miles on it and about 40k of them were at 380+whp and the thing never blew up, we just decided to build it. So don't think I'm bashing subarus, I actually stand up for them more than most people lol and his car has always been my testament. Definitely my favorite and most impressive subie I've personally encountered. All he needs now is a new clutch (ACT HD street disk took a ****) and it will be back in action next year. He could also use a header since he is on the stock one... And some paint, but that's to be expected with 190k miles on it Nice thing is that he will take the time to do things right, and not do things that will just "get him by" from the fuel system to the turbo setup, motor/trans setup, and proper monitoring equipment. I do believe all that plays a major role in the success of his car. Just as it would with any platform.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice work Taylor! I was telling a buddy bout your car and tires set uo Tx2k15...I might have to come down for support.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:26 PM

The builds were done very stoutly, the one undergoing the build had a AMS longblock that was $16k alone, which is no **** lol, BUT reliability is also in the hands of the beholder. Some of these guys probably aren't the most responsible guys I will admit, so I'm sure that doesn't help matters, but in general it is harder to keep a high hp subie on the road than it is some other platforms, but there are more and more builds coming together that are proving to hold up. My friend that I mentioned has the 02 WRX that was in my last video is running an OutFront Motorsports closed deck block at ~550whp or so, and has seen 30 lbs on is 5858 quite often, but is usually around 24-25 lbs. His car was put together by us and has always been tuned by me, and we keep an eye on things. Hell his last motor was the stock EJ205 with 150+k miles on it and about 40k of them were at 380+whp and the thing never blew up, we just decided to build it. So don't think I'm bashing subarus, I actually stand up for them more than most people lol and his car has always been my testament. Definitely my favorite and most impressive subie I've personally encountered. All he needs now is a new clutch (ACT HD street disk took a ****) and it will be back in action next year. He could also use a header since he is on the stock one... And some paint, but that's to be expected with 190k miles on it Nice thing is that he will take the time to do things right, and not do things that will just "get him by" from the fuel system to the turbo setup, motor/trans setup, and proper monitoring equipment. I do believe all that plays a major role in the success of his car. Just as it would with any platform.
I totally agree, and I don't think you're bashing at all. Just wanted to voice my experience with the platform.

That Outfront block is my next block for sure, amazing what they've done for reliability in a high HP subie. But you're right, they aren't the best car to keep on the road for a long time. These cars need a refresh to keep them going, every 20-30k depending on how much you beat on them.

I think the 2.0L is where the bread and butter is, personally. I still have a 2.5L tho Those blocks are a lot sturdier. Less tq, but higher revving and stay together great.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:44 PM

I am now way in any shape or forum tempting you. I'm telling you!
Old 10-21-2014, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by wgr73
I totally agree, and I don't think you're bashing at all. Just wanted to voice my experience with the platform.

That Outfront block is my next block for sure, amazing what they've done for reliability in a high HP subie. But you're right, they aren't the best car to keep on the road for a long time. These cars need a refresh to keep them going, every 20-30k depending on how much you beat on them.

I think the 2.0L is where the bread and butter is, personally. I still have a 2.5L tho Those blocks are a lot sturdier. Less tq, but higher revving and stay together great.
I'm excited to see his hold up, and for him to get on the dyno and see what it will actually put down. It runs strong and has taken down some 550whp STi's including the one in this video, but the clutch slipped at the track so he didn't get any runs in above 18 psi WG pressure

Originally Posted by Wert842
I am now way in any shape or forum tempting you. I'm telling you!
Haha I'm just trolling