08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

2nd gear grinding

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gear grinding

when i shift from 1st to 2nd, (NLS or even heavy WOT) it won't go into 2nd,
and it grinds bad. under normal driving it's fine. i am not "missing" 2nd gear.
i have driven sticks for 23 years. i can NLS 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th, etc. fine. it just started
doing this. it was fine before. i got a problem here. what is going on???
Old 09-01-2009, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better hope that GM is standing behind their "The NLS and Launch Control is all covered under warranty". Sychro maybe?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:30 PM

i was thinking syncro too. read elsewhere could be shift cable/linkage issue?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:54 PM

synchro
Old 09-01-2009, 11:58 PM

same problem here man...its pissin me off but alteast my dealer said they will replace/rebuild the transmission. They said to keep driving it until it gets worse cuz i have plenty of miles left before my warranty expires
Old 09-02-2009, 12:20 AM

Ok guys I'll explain what happened to mine and what I did to fix it. I only had the issue when doing WOT or NLS shifts.
After missing 2nd five times in a row at the track I started investigating, I found it to be a shifter adjustment issue not a syncro issue.
1st question? when you do a 1/2 shift does it feel like the shifter is binding at the back of the shifter gate? I mean it has a feel like the whole shifter is flexing and you miss the shift anyway?. If so here is what is happening. For some reason the shifters are being factory set to almost the back of the shifter gate travel window for second gear. Its not a syncro issue its a shifter adjustment issue. The factory shifter adjustment lock on the shifter seems to position the shifter to far back in the gate once the cables and shift related hardware settles in.
If its out of adjustment it will have a rubbery feel when you NLS to second. When its right its a solid lock with no rubbery feel.
I fixed mine in the pits at the track and never missed second again, neither have I had a missed shift on the street since.

Heres how to fix it.
Remove the cup holder.
put the car in first gear.
reach down and release the lock on the cable on the right hand side. (don't release the one on the left)
gently push the shifter forward until it measures about 4 3/4 to 4 7/8 between the front of the shifter knob and the dash.
Hold it there with one hand and reach down and relock the cable adjuster. (this moves the shifter forward in the gate)

This moves the shifter forward in its gate and gives more throw when shifting into second before the actual shifter mechanism bottoms out at the back of the shifter gate.
If that does not fix it then yes you probably have a syncro problem but 99 percent of the time its a shifter adjustment issue and not a syncro issue.
I will be passing this on to the appropriate engineers.

I am a GM Engineer and my opinions are my own.

Last edited by Gettinausernamesucks; 09-02-2009 at 12:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cw383 (03-02-2020)
Old 09-21-2009, 04:45 PM

i finally got around to trying this, and i'm lost. how exactly do you release the cable?
i took it out of it's holder, but it has a groove in it. it won't reposition, it's not possible.
i'm talking the light tan plastic assembly. can anyone provide pics and more detailed
instructions? any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:53 PM

I have the same problem on mine about half between 1st and second the shifter binds ups. Took it to the dealer they had the transmission guy look at it he found no problems. The guy at the dealership told me it was because the difference in gear ratios between 1st and 2nd. I am going to try what "Gettinausernamesucks" if anyone has pics of the clip on the right of the shifter that would be great. btw mine has done this since new.

So went out and looked at my shifter it sits at about 5-3/4" off the dash see picture here.

Sorry about the glare.

And here is the pictures of the clips if someone could tell me which on to undo and how

Last edited by Dougger; 09-22-2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dougger
I have the same problem on mine about half between 1st and second the shifter binds ups. Took it to the dealer they had the transmission guy look at it he found no problems. The guy at the dealership told me it was because the difference in gear ratios between 1st and 2nd. I am going to try what "Gettinausernamesucks" if anyone has pics of the clip on the right of the shifter that would be great. btw mine has done this since new.

So went out and looked at my shifter it sits at about 5-3/4" off the dash see picture here.

Sorry about the glare.

And here is the pictures of the clips if someone could tell me which on to undo and how

the locks he is refering to are the plastic grey clips (not the tan ones) on the shift linkage cable.. for the issue with second gear check out "Gettinausernamesucks" explanation above for details.. as far as taking the clip off, it's only a snap on clip.. the top of the clip opens, which releases the cable.. just make sure you release the proper cable and read his instuctions closely
Old 09-23-2009, 12:48 AM

ive had this problem since day one when WOT from 1st to 2nd..
my friends think i suck dick at driving stick cuz this **** happens alot. lol
Old 09-23-2009, 07:00 AM

same thing happened to me from first to second untill this sunday the shifter assembly broke and they have to replace it. the car dont even have 2k
Old 09-23-2009, 07:20 AM

American cars tend to have horrible gearboxes since they get them from the same suppliers over and over again who don't care about the car/user relationship. The modern muscle cars all have Tremecs: TR-6060 in the Camaro SS, GT500, Challenger SRT-8, Mustang GT, Corvette, Viper, etc... and you can always read about horrible shifters in any of them.

With BMW and Audi, it always seems they are the benchmark for proper shifter feel / gate positions, etc...
Old 09-23-2009, 12:51 PM

i have the exact same problem, but i am currently 4,500 miles away from my car until december sooooo... once i get back to the states i will be doing this immediately and will let eveyone know how it works.. or other people could try it
Old 09-23-2009, 06:38 PM

09 cobalt thanks for correcting me on the clip color.
Yes it is the white clip on the right side or passenger side cable. Get a hold of it right where you see that round section with the black line (which is the lower part of the clip housing. It unlatches right there and it will hinge up to release the cable (the cable has multiple grooves in it so that white clip locks into the groves to set the cable adjustment) Personally since I changed mine I've never missed a gear again. Prior to adjusting I would have bet 10 bucks it had a jacked up 2nd gear syncro and I've been a wrench and an engineer over 30 years.

Has anyone changed their adjustment and was the issue fixed>
Old 09-24-2009, 03:15 AM

^^^ Thanks for the tip. Same problem here; dealership couldn't "replicate problem" or fix it. I've assumed it was a linkage issue but haven't got around to taking a looksee. In the meantime I've avoided the NLS and don't want the service dept. practicing their technique either,lol.
I'll try this tomorrow-you may be my new hero.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:05 AM

Do you remember how far yours was off? The guy above us is almost an inch off, and that seams like a hell of alot

Originally Posted by Gettinausernamesucks
09 cobalt thanks for correcting me on the clip color.
Yes it is the white clip on the right side or passenger side cable. Get a hold of it right where you see that round section with the black line (which is the lower part of the clip housing. It unlatches right there and it will hinge up to release the cable (the cable has multiple grooves in it so that white clip locks into the groves to set the cable adjustment) Personally since I changed mine I've never missed a gear again. Prior to adjusting I would have bet 10 bucks it had a jacked up 2nd gear syncro and I've been a wrench and an engineer over 30 years.

Has anyone changed their adjustment and was the issue fixed>
Old 09-24-2009, 11:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by metroplex
American cars tend to have horrible gearboxes since they get them from the same suppliers over and over again who don't care about the car/user relationship. The modern muscle cars all have Tremecs: TR-6060 in the Camaro SS, GT500, Challenger SRT-8, Mustang GT, Corvette, Viper, etc... and you can always read about horrible shifters in any of them.

With BMW and Audi, it always seems they are the benchmark for proper shifter feel / gate positions, etc...
you know this f35 tranny is from europe right?

I have issues only sometimes, now its 2-3rd usually...
Old 09-24-2009, 09:07 PM

the dealer replaced my shifter and now it goes in fine into second without grinding
Old 09-25-2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cefaln452
Do you remember how far yours was off? The guy above us is almost an inch off, and that seams like a hell of alot

I moved mine about an inch forward. Thats not saying that thats how far you need to move it. Even moving it forward a half inch would do the trick. The reason I moved mine that far is I'm kind of a short guy and with the seat forward I also didn't like the fact that my arm was banging against the seat bolster when grabbing second gear. Moving it as far as I did allows a good solid click into second before my arm hits the bolster. It also allows the shifter to be almost straight up vertical in second gear giving me more leverage. It was just a plus for me.

All you are really trying to do here is prevent the shifter rod itself from binding in the back of the gate. I can tell you for fact that using the shifter lock adjuster to adjust the shifter puts the shifter rod at the literal back of the gate in second. Some cars will never have an issue but some will. It depends on how the tolerance stacks up in the cables once they begin to wear in. If your marginal as the shift cables begin to settle you could have the issue I talked about in my first post
Old 09-25-2009, 07:57 PM

thanks for the clarification. i will try this again and report back.

well i adjusted it. is the right side one supposed to rotate back and forth?
(like a swivel motion). mine does. could i have broken the roll pin or something
else? the left side is solid and doesn't move at all. i set the shifter way up. about
4-5/8 to 4-3/4 clearance from dash. is this too close? i tried about 7 nls's and got
5. grinded twice. maybe i'm just rusty, hadn't nls'ed in a while.

Last edited by skip_jones; 09-25-2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-25-2009, 10:43 PM

I LOVE YOU!!! that **** does the trick... no more grinding... I thought my syncro may have been going out.... Im in cyber love with you <3 no homo
Old 09-25-2009, 11:30 PM

Werd
Old 10-22-2009, 11:47 PM

Okay it took me a couple minutes but i figured it out. Mine was at 6" and i moved it up to about 5" and i went through all the gears after and it seemed smoother. I will drive it tomorrow and let you guys know.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by adrianpl13
the dealer replaced my shifter and now it goes in fine into second without grinding
which dealer did you go to? i got to find a good dealer in the area that has some cool people working at it.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:23 AM

I have a bit of a different problem but it seems that we have a fairly knowledgable person in this thread so I will throw my problem out here... I believe that my second gear could be improved with this fix, but that's not my major problem... My 3rd gear doesn't seem to feel right, and when I NLS I will get a grind maybe 1 or 2 times out of 5. Is there anything that can be done for 1st, 3rd, and 5th (not that I nls into 5th...)

Quick Reply: 2nd gear grinding