08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Considering buying 2008 Cobalt SS, have questions

Old 08-20-2017, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering buying 2008 Cobalt SS, have questions

Guys,

First time poster here. To make a long story short, I owned a few turbo Eclipses years ago and loved turbo cars. I sold them, got a Mustang Cobra, and then bought a house and been driving Corollas for 6 years while trying to pay off my house.

Been looking for another Cobra or Eclipse but came up empty. So I came across a local 2008 SS w/129,000 miles for $5500. Never owned a Cobalt so did some research and it seems like these are great, reiable and fast cars with no major issues.

Contacted seller, asked questions, and test drove. The story is this guy bought it for his teenage daughter who loved the way it looked but it was too powerful for her. This guy bought it from a co-worker at a chevy dealership who got it from someone else so can't trace it's history.

Before I drove, he told me the guy he bought it from said it was running the 1/4 mile at 13.2 so sounded like it was modded. The drive was crazy, my 300HP Eclipse was nothing like this. It was spinning tires in 2nd and even 3rd. I had trouble controlling the car when boost hit in 1st, 2nd, and I think 3rd...it was wanting to go sideways. Almost seemed like something was wrong. Under the hood, the intake or charge air pipe on top was aftermarket and the air filter box was insulated with silver tape or something. Didn't notice anything else standing out. The boost was hitting 20psi in 100degree heat index weather. I have no idea how much HP and TQ and what mods are done. Overall, everything worked and it looks great.

Anyways, have a few questions. I told the seller I'd be in touch and may schedule another test drive and check out.

1) Is $5500 a good price for this with unknown mods and the mileage?

2) Are there any major issues with this model year and style I should be aware of?

3) Is it normal for a new turbo driver like myself to have to learn how to control boost in a powerful car or does the issues controlling the steering wheel/car when boost hits sound abnormal? I want to make sure this is normal as I have never owned anything this strong.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
My only concern with it would be the tune that's on it. You will need to figure it out, probably from getting hp tuners and logging it. These cars are notorious for wearing the weak rear control arm bushings, and by the torque steer you are describing I would bet that's what's wrong. There are good aftermarket bushings to use as replacements. Mine is tuned to about 370whp and it tracks straight even at wot. They are fairly reliable cars but with that many miles you never know how hard it's been abused. Luckily parts, even engines, are pretty cheap brand new. I've had mine for 5 years and still like it. I wouldn't be afraid of it, just know that there are probably Gianna be a few parts you will need to replace. Like you would on any car with that mileage.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
My only concern with it would be the tune that's on it. You will need to figure it out, probably from getting hp tuners and logging it. These cars are notorious for wearing the weak rear control arm bushings, and by the torque steer you are describing I would bet that's what's wrong. There are good aftermarket bushings to use as replacements. Mine is tuned to about 370whp and it tracks straight even at wot. They are fairly reliable cars but with that many miles you never know how hard it's been abused. Luckily parts, even engines, are pretty cheap brand new. I've had mine for 5 years and still like it. I wouldn't be afraid of it, just know that there are probably Gianna be a few parts you will need to replace. Like you would on any car with that mileage.
Good to know about the bushings maybe being bad. I am a good mechanic and do all of my own work and those sound easy.

The clutch felt pretty good and overall, looks like a great car. It appears the price is okay, what are your thoughts on $5500? I asked about going any lower and he said he still owed the bank $5800 and so was going to stay at $5500...
Old 08-20-2017, 10:07 PM

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Don't buy it

Just my opinion
Old 08-20-2017, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by T-Man
Don't buy it

Just my opinion
Mind saying why? Is it the mileage or the unknown mod's done to it?
Old 08-20-2017, 10:38 PM

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by LovesTurbos
Mind saying why? Is it the mileage or the unknown mod's done to it?
To me, it sounds like the car has been beat to **** and passed around.

Honestly, I'd keep looking my man.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:55 PM

I appreciate your thoughts on this.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:46 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts

I have to agree, OP unless you're ready to drop a new motor and likely turbo potentially a transmission keep looking for a SS/TC.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:34 AM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
20 psi sounds like GMS1. Does it have blue MAP sensors?
Old 08-21-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
20 psi does sound like GMS1. It may be just highway miles and a well taken care of GMS1 car. Ive never ridden in a GMS1 car so im not sure about it spinning 3rd gear. What shape were the tires in?

The only faults I can think of with an 08 cobalt SS was the porous block issue but at 128,000 miles I doubt its a concern now.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CudaJoe
20 psi does sound like GMS1. It may be just highway miles and a well taken care of GMS1 car. Ive never ridden in a GMS1 car so im not sure about it spinning 3rd gear. What shape were the tires in?

The only faults I can think of with an 08 cobalt SS was the porous block issue but at 128,000 miles I doubt its a concern now.
GMS1 (I had when I bought mine) would hit 20psi, but not until almost 5K rpm, and is lower like 16-17 in mid range. 1st gear boost is still limited significantly (like 8-9psi). One way to know if it is 20psi HPT or GMS1. With only 8-9 psi and not even a heavy hit of boost in the midrange in 2nd and 3rd, GMS1 is not spinning tires much at all from my experience.

OP: If you can still find one with more of a know history, I might be inclined to go that route. But at $5500 that's not a bad deal in my opinion. I paid $7500 for my 2009 SS sedan with similar miles a little over a year ago. It had GMS1 factory tune, but was an adult driven commuter car, so was never tracked or beat on, and was clean like factory new inside and out. Just for reference.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:18 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Sounds like a **** box.

Take your time and don't go falling in love with each car you look at.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:29 PM

Appreciate all the replies today. I don't know what color the MAP sensors are. I do understand the concern of being beaten and not knowing the history, but I do agree as well that the price is pretty good and having MODs done saves some money.

I don't plan on racing it at all, just daily driver. I told thr seller I may meet up with him on Friday for another test drive. While I have to believe his story, you never really know the truth.

He only had it listed on Cargurus, but said yesterday he was taking the ad down and so it won't be listed anywhere for sale. The story is that he drives it to work daily, but wife said he had to sell since he got his daughter another car. So believing him, it appears either it is good to go or the seller just don't drive it hard and know of any pending issues. He;s owned it 3 months.

I just looked on a few big car sell websites and there are like, zero SS/TC anywhere close. And they are so rare, not sure about finding one in the future. I'm not so interested in a stock one I'd travel for it, just been looking locally and it seems like finding stock ones is finding a needle in a haystack. Maybe I need to learn as much as possible if I go for the 2nd drive? Pretty sure it was hitting 20psi below 5K RPMs.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by LovesTurbos
Appreciate all the replies today. I don't know what color the MAP sensors are. I do understand the concern of being beaten and not knowing the history, but I do agree as well that the price is pretty good and having MODs done saves some money.

I don't plan on racing it at all, just daily driver. I told thr seller I may meet up with him on Friday for another test drive. While I have to believe his story, you never really know the truth.

He only had it listed on Cargurus, but said yesterday he was taking the ad down and so it won't be listed anywhere for sale. The story is that he drives it to work daily, but wife said he had to sell since he got his daughter another car. So believing him, it appears either it is good to go or the seller just don't drive it hard and know of any pending issues. He;s owned it 3 months.

I just looked on a few big car sell websites and there are like, zero SS/TC anywhere close. And they are so rare, not sure about finding one in the future. I'm not so interested in a stock one I'd travel for it, just been looking locally and it seems like finding stock ones is finding a needle in a haystack. Maybe I need to learn as much as possible if I go for the 2nd drive? Pretty sure it was hitting 20psi below 5K RPMs.
Sounds like he's trying to flip the car. Probably ran into issues. Just be patient.it took 6 months to find mine.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:20 PM

^ that's why I'm not selling mine. My luck would be that I would miss it and I would be hard pressed to find another in the shape that mines in with 43,000 miles.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:13 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Exactly. Theres someone selling a red sedan with 230k+ miles. Im at 99k now. To me, my car has a ton of life left in it and im not ready to part with it for a new car payment. Theres literally nothing new that I want right now. The compact sports market has gone down hill. Prices have gone up for the same/subpar value cars. I think im going to end up adulting for awhile with a minivan or full size adulty bland car, keeping the cobalt for fun. Eventually something cool will come out and I will trade up.
The following users liked this post:
cluelessk (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 131 Likes on 108 Posts
Im probably going to try and get rid of mine next year. I really want a c6 vette. It will be a downgrade in power, but upgrade everywhere else.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Originally Posted by CudaJoe
Exactly. Theres someone selling a red sedan with 230k+ miles. Im at 99k now. To me, my car has a ton of life left in it and im not ready to part with it for a new car payment. Theres literally nothing new that I want right now. The compact sports market has gone down hill. Prices have gone up for the same/subpar value cars. I think im going to end up adulting for awhile with a minivan or full size adulty bland car, keeping the cobalt for fun. Eventually something cool will come out and I will trade up.
By that time you might aswell just stay with the balt
Old 08-24-2017, 11:31 AM
Banned

just send it
Old 08-24-2017, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by leemanfor
just send it
I'm just gonna keep on sending it
Old 08-24-2017, 12:51 PM
Banned

Another day, another beer.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:54 PM

ET still runs
Old 08-24-2017, 02:01 PM
Banned

so round 2
Old 08-24-2017, 09:21 PM

Next year a zfr, the year after- built short block and trans.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:03 PM

Talking about **** car shopping experiences.

I just got back from looking at an 07 LSJ with the wash boy from work. He's 17 and looking for his first car.

Guy claimed in his ad that the car was " in beautiful shape with no rust (not touched up and no crappy bodywork)" - A quote from the ad.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

It was missing the front lip, half the rear lip, rf fender liner, had peeling paint, a dent in the quarter, seriously cracked windshield, misaligned fenders, headlights and bumpers and seeping oil all over the engine plus way more. I just stopped looking. Didn't even ask the guy to start it. Told the guy I was with that the car wasn't worth half the asking price and I'd pass on it right in front of the of the seller. I say the car looks like it was off roaded.

The seller gets pissed tells me I'm being a jerk for no reason. Starts to make excuses about how dirty it is from the other people test driving it. I have my car there and tell him my 08 TC is worth $6k, It was a recent total loss because of a ton of stone chips. It looks likes show car compared to the one we were looking at.

People are delusional. I feel like I'm way too honest to even sell my own cars.

Search this Thread