08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Even more proof! 08 Cobalt SS with LNF engine in vin decoder

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xCobalt05x
Hence the document posted earlier is an 08 vin decoder no an 07 decoder. 08 typicaly means updated. i would expect it to be an 08 and 1/2 model. which would mean that it would be some time around august/september next year
I know it was an 08 decoder. But Im saying just because it is listed on the decoder dosent mean that its going in the cobalt it proves nothing. 07 decoder had both the LSJ and the LNF listed but it dosent mean it was going in the cobalt. You could say any one of those motors listed could go in it then. OMG I want the a/s cobalt with the LS7 in it then. It means nothing. Until GM comes out and says the cobalt will have the LNF I believe nothing.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Superchargimus Prime
Personally, I am more than satisfied with my supercharger and don't see me wanting a turbo EVER!. I get plenty of horsepower and lots of torque right out of the gate. I can't stand turbo lag, and yeah, you get a great boost (once your RPMs are up) but by that time, the other car is already at the 1/8 mile marker. FTW
Umm, there ain't no lag on this turbo. Max torque at 2250rpms, and it is flat as a board.

If you look at the dyno chart, they had to have let off of the throttle at exactly 5300rpms, because there is no way they both start dropping off at similar rate at the same rpm.

Check it out 3 posts down
Old 10-26-2007, 04:45 PM

Gm had planned on having a Cobalt SS S/C for 2008, but scrapped it due to not meating the new stricter emission standards. THere is no real proof that There is going to be a turbo charged cobalt. the LNF is in the new HHR SS and as everyone knows the saturn and the pontiac. I work for GM and haven't heard anything that it is def. happening!!
Old 10-26-2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Archie
Umm, there ain't no lag on this turbo. Max torque at 2250rpms, and it is flat as a board.

If you look at the dyno chart, they had to have let off of the throttle at exactly 5300rpms, because there is no way they both start dropping off at similar rate at the same rpm.

If its anything like the gxps that i have driven there is lag. If your at 40 and punch it the turbo takes a bit to spoul up and then go and everyone I have driven dose it. Mid range is great but it tappers off on the top end.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Archie

Gotta love turbos man. Superchargers are definitely unique especially for a 4 cyl. But the just arent the best thing for our cars. How many balts out there can easily get over 300 whp with just a few bolt ons? I mean without nitrous and without spending 10k.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:33 PM

The HHR is also an "A" body, which will have the LNF for '08. If the Cobalt goes turbo, we won't see it until '09.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:38 PM

does anyone no if it will be put in the G5 also or just the cobalt?
Old 10-27-2007, 05:03 PM

I went to my dealer today for our six month service. I was talking to the sales manager about the possibility of the SS/TC. I am sure most of us know that the HHR and the Balt are essentially the same rolling chassis.

He said he's 95% sure the balt turbo is coming around summer of 08 (up here in Canada anyways...perhaps earlier in the States). After I was done talking with him, he said "When they show up...I'll be the first taking one for a test drive, and then I'll call you and have you take one out."

So take it for what it is. HE didn't say it wasn't coming out, but he also didn't say that it was. I think his last comment about calling me said it all.

He also said that he expects it to cost about the same as the SS/SC or perhaps a small amount more.

Oh yeah, he also said it'll most likely be coming with an optional auto too for those who want one. **** I cannot wait to drive this thing. I am going to blow a load for 5 straight minutes and just wither away after that.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by E-Town SS
I went to my dealer today for our six month service. I was talking to the sales manager about the possibility of the SS/TC. I am sure most of us know that the HHR and the Balt are essentially the same rolling chassis.

He said he's 95% sure the balt turbo is coming around summer of 08 (up here in Canada anyways...perhaps earlier in the States). After I was done talking with him, he said "When they show up...I'll be the first taking one for a test drive, and then I'll call you and have you take one out."

So take it for what it is. HE didn't say it wasn't coming out, but he also didn't say that it was. I think his last comment about calling me said it all.

He also said that he expects it to cost about the same as the SS/SC or perhaps a small amount more.

Oh yeah, he also said it'll most likely be coming with an optional auto too for those who want one. **** I cannot wait to drive this thing. I am going to blow a load for 5 straight minutes and just wither away after that.
I don't know about early summer (June), but probably by September it will be out.

The data sheet showed only F35 and F40 transmissions, both manual only transmissions.

I would actually expect the LNF balt to cost slightly less than the SS/sc. Three reasons.
1. To better compete with the tuner market and their commitment to "best bang for buck".
2. The LNF (22/31) gets better gas mileage, even with the new measurement, than the LSJ (23/29), reducing the gas guzzler tax.
3. It won't cost any extra money to install the LNF than the LSJ.

The two things I would think might raise the cost of the vehicle is if they install a very high quality interior or improve on the suspension.

But as long as its under 25K I'll be happy.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:53 AM

Good bye SRT4
Old 10-28-2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by E-Town SS

Ok, so I blew a load as promised this morning when I checked my e-mail and I got an e-mail from this forum saying that the Turbo Balt is a reality. Now that I am all empty I have to say that I love GM for finally making something small and fast.

I cannot wait to test drive one!
Old 10-28-2007, 12:07 PM

What is LNF?
Old 10-28-2007, 12:48 PM

Personally, I am more than satisfied with my supercharger and don't see me wanting a turbo EVER!. I get plenty of horsepower and lots of torque right out of the gate. I can't stand turbo lag, and yeah, you get a great boost (once your RPMs are up) but by that time, the other car is already at the 1/8 mile marker. FTW
that has to be the dumbest thing I have read in a long time. If you had an turbocharged car you'd likely say the same thing about the supercharger. Drive an SRT-4 or a MS3 which both have a very quick spooling turbo. Stock SRT-4 gets full boost by 2300RPM, even when cranked to 19-20PSI this same turbo spools almost instantly at anything over 2800-3000RPM.

It's large turbos that give you some lag but if you have a large turbo then you know why it's in there.

I'm glad to see that the 2008 SS will be turbocharged and hopefully will have a good aftermarket for people to use like the SRT-4 does.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:02 PM

I believe this gives GM the edge over Dodge when it comes down to the turboed Cobalt vs. the Caliber SRT4
Old 10-28-2007, 02:11 PM

I think its sweet that there is gonna be a turbo sedan too. Now thats gonna be a nice sleeper.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by JKennedy1612
I believe this gives GM the edge over Dodge when it comes down to the turboed Cobalt vs. the Caliber SRT4
I'm not a fan of the Caliber but I think MS3 is a much better car then both. Aftermarket will also determine whats a better buy in the end, depending on how either car responds to modifications. Caliber SRT-4 just dynoed 260whp and as much torque, bone stock on a 89 octane and only 13PSI, and that turbo will max out at about 19-20.

I think the biggest issue for any of the cars will be traction or lack of, and destroying axles. I'm yet to see a MS3, Cobalt or this Caliber, strap on some 8.5" wide slicks and dump the clutch off the line. Big downside for Caliber is no LSD but rather simulated LSD.

I think Neon SRT-4 is still the best bang for buck and it will be very dificult to dethrone it as the best turbo FWD when it competes with cars like Evo and STi which are AWD. However this is a step in the right direction that GM is taking.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:47 PM

Im leaving for SEMA tomorrow I cant wait to get some pics. I'll post them up as soon as I see the cars!
Old 10-28-2007, 07:04 PM

anyone know what kind of psi the cobalt is going to be running at?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by SRTst
that has to be the dumbest thing I have read in a long time. If you had an turbocharged car you'd likely say the same thing about the supercharger. Drive an SRT-4 or a MS3 which both have a very quick spooling turbo. Stock SRT-4 gets full boost by 2300RPM, even when cranked to 19-20PSI this same turbo spools almost instantly at anything over 2800-3000RPM.

It's large turbos that give you some lag but if you have a large turbo then you know why it's in there.

I'm glad to see that the 2008 SS will be turbocharged and hopefully will have a good aftermarket for people to use like the SRT-4 does.
Well then, I retract my previous statement. I've driven an SRT-4 and that is definitely a different kinda turbo with ever so slight of a lag (hardly noticable unless you've used a blower), however, I know how GM is and they are usually behind the ball when it comes to keepin up with the jones' so to speak.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:51 PM

Well then, I retract my previous statement. I've driven an SRT-4 and that is definitely a different kinda turbo with ever so slight of a lag (hardly noticable unless you've used a blower), however, I know how GM is and they are usually behind the ball when it comes to keepin up with the jones' so to speak.
GM behind the ball? Hardly...lol I think you should stop commenting