Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/)
-   -   Finished cleaning intake valves & other upgrades (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/finished-cleaning-intake-valves-other-upgrades-327214/)

Keith-SS 12-14-2018 07:21 PM

Finished cleaning intake valves & other upgrades

I just completed cleaning the intake valves on my new to me 08 Cobalt LNF with 93k. Took approximately 6-7 hours taking my time and letting the valves soak. Came out good and they cleaned up well with AC DELCO top end cleaner, misc picks, tooth brush, rags, assorted brass bore brushes, throttle body and intake cleaner, and shop vac. I took my time and wanted to take pics but it was a messy job and pleased with the outcome. The valves were never cleaned and it took patience and now gonna monitor gas mileage and how the car runs. Changed the oil after a quick start up to make sure everything turned over and no problems. Also purchased a new intake manifold gasket & PCV valve for the intake manifold, glad I picked up the PCV cause mine wasn’t working correctly.

If you haven’t done this on your LNF, put it on your list. Since I purchased this car I went ahead and did the repairs needed on worn parts that were giving me problems like:

1) Moog end links(front end clunking sound fixed)

2)KYB shocks/struts & moog strut mounts & alignment (had OEMs still on and leaking)

3)Prothane front sway bar bushings(sway bar had play in it, and was a cheap repair)

4)Moog front control arm bushing(they were shot and floating in the control arm, came out in pieces

5) OEM brembo pads off amazon that I found through the forums, pads were shot on the inside but outside still had some meat left so i kept them for backup. cleaned up my OEM pins cause they came off with ease and reused them.

6). Ac delco spark plugs and AEM drop in filter.

7) picked up some fun goodies on the way to ease the pain and release some fun. OTTP full short throw kit with clamps(OEM shifter was beat and abused), OTTP Stage 1 rear sway bar, and ZZP full catbAck without resonator & zzp hi-flow downpipe.

Car runs great now and did all repairs myself with some family and friends help. Now I just need to get a good street tune & new 235/40r18 tires and it should be set. Thanks to all the info on the forums, it couldn’t of went any smoother.

keith

Keith-SS 12-14-2018 07:22 PM

Oh yeah forgot to throw in Powell’s stage 1 motor mount and spacer.

63 Nova SS 12-15-2018 07:58 AM

Good job! Bet it idles better. The powell mount helps and is strong.

Solaris99 12-15-2018 09:35 PM

I have many similar parts. I have a Trifecta tune and recently cleaned valves, and now the clutch is slipping in 3rd in cold temps where it didn't before.

ThePanduuh 12-16-2018 07:51 PM

Nice! I hope my video did you some service seeing as your tools list sounds familiar ;)

Hands down the most noticeable things I did to my car were Powell spherical control arm bushings (I got powell ones pre-pressed into new stock LNF control arms, so everything was new). Definitely add to your list!