Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/)
-   -   Hey guys, newb here (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10-ss-turbocharged-general-discussion-152/hey-guys-newb-here-290961/)

cobaltzer 12-16-2012 06:29 PM

Hey guys, newb here

Hey, i've been looking into a new car recently and i saw a guy with a cobalt ss/tc at work and it really caught my eye. I really wanta turbo car, never had one before though. Was looking at wrx's but realized the new ones are too expensive and the older models arent that much cheaper with upwards of 80k on them. I know this car is fast, cheap and easy to mod. So thats why i'm really looking into it. I've been looking through these forums for a while now and cant help but to nitice all the threads about people having problems with this car even not driving it hard or beating on it. They just seem to pop up randomly. I'm just really concerned with having problems and having to sink money into the car when all i want to do is enjoy it and have something decently reliable. So, would be looking for a used one with 20-30k and spending around $16k, have me worried at all. Am i more than likely going to have problems with this? Will it be a nightmare? I really like the car and opinions or any input on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

K-Train04RL 12-16-2012 06:41 PM

With a good previous owner and you taking care of it, you should be fine. Most people have problems when they mod the car themselves to too much power. Some realize headaches come from high power and others blame the vendors for the parts. I have only had little problems that have been my own fault from pretty much drinking too much while modding and not paying attention to detail lol.

cobaltzer 12-16-2012 06:57 PM

Well with all the recalls like the power steering, rear breaks, charge piping..it means i would have to find one with a warranty that isnt expired because any of those things can go at any time acoording to what i have read already

mrader88 12-16-2012 07:03 PM

^^^ if its a recall it doesnt need to be in warranty to replace, mine has been out of warranty for a while now, 06 ss/sc, and the dealer still repaired the power steering for me.

Sox-Fan 12-16-2012 07:03 PM

Recalls are recalls and are not warrantee dependent.

ben_gary 12-16-2012 07:45 PM

other then recall. its really a good car. like everything, all depends how you take care of it

jacream_booSSted 12-16-2012 10:34 PM

great car, lot's of fun. too much fun sometimes....lol. and you'll get a lot of "wtf" looks. in a good way, of course :lol:

i've had some minor things here and there but nothing huge. pretty stout car in my opinion.

mightymouse1975 12-16-2012 11:25 PM

welcome to the boards. gonna say what i tell all newbs...if you are worried about things going wrong...stay stock. if you are able to find one with low miles, you should be fine. that is if you stay stock. drive train warranty should keep you safe. imo,the second you do mods,you take the chance of SOMETHING going wrong.

Igofast 12-17-2012 12:06 AM

I've had my 09 ss/tc for 8 months now and haven't had any problems at all and I've been running the hell out of it. Got it for 16k listing price with 35k miles and now I'm at 52k. I'd suggest 09 or 10 I heard 08s still had minor bugs to be worked out. I could be wrong just what I've heard.. It's definitely a fun reliable car and great on gas. I love the looks of the ppl driving big v8 muscle cars when I beat them lol

Chevrolet Cust Svc 12-17-2012 08:36 AM

Welcome to the forums, cobaltzer!

If you wanted for me to help you search in your area for an SS, send me your ZIP code and any must-have features. I'll see what I can come up with for you!

Sarah, GM Customer Service

Kyle09TC 12-17-2012 10:56 AM

Just make sure you open the trunk lift the rug and check for G85 on the sticker in there

07SSYellow 12-17-2012 11:01 AM

i havent really had any problems with mine, i got it brand new, now it has 28k miles on it 3 years later and im selling it! lol time to get out of debt!

but for the record, im selling mine for 16500(stock) so yes you can find them in your price range

ampzor350 12-17-2012 02:13 PM

Nothing beats the pricless look on people's face's when you pull them hard in a measly cobalt lol

cobaltzer 12-17-2012 11:18 PM

Thanks for all the input guys, you're making this decision easier. Had another quick question I did have plans to tune the car. just really wanted a tune, downpipe and intake. Or at least just the intake and a catback if the tune makes the car itself less reliable. What do you suggest to stay safe with the mods i want? SOrry for dumb questions, new to the whole turbo thing. Thanks again.

AyrtonSenna 12-17-2012 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by K-Train04RL (Post 6842219)
With a good previous owner and you taking care of it, you should be fine. Most people have problems when they mod the car themselves to too much power. Some realize headaches come from high power and others blame the vendors for the parts. I have only had little problems that have been my own fault from pretty much drinking too much while modding and not paying attention to detail lol.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:I hope not big damages

Originally Posted by cobaltzer (Post 6843870)
Thanks for all the input guys, you're making this decision easier. Had another quick question I did have plans to tune the car. just really wanted a tune, downpipe and intake. Or at least just the intake and a catback if the tune makes the car itself less reliable. What do you suggest to stay safe with the mods i want? SOrry for dumb questions, new to the whole turbo thing. Thanks again.

First bold: if you can't buy the whole exhaust and can only get either catback or downpipe, definately get the downpipe. Installing bolts-on and not tuning the car is most likely a waste of money.
Second bold: there are no dumb questions in here:twothumbs:twothumbs

indy81 12-18-2012 12:37 PM

If you want a nice bump in power, but are worried about reliability/PT warranty, I would suggest the GMS1 tune + downpipe + intake.

If you want more, get a healthy tune and add an intercooler and charge piping to that. You can be running 12's for under $1000 if you can do the work yourself.

m0ore4ustin391 12-19-2012 12:52 AM

GM has a lot of recalls on these cars, whatever you do get a warrenty unless you know someone who has a lift and can work on FWD cars.

Igofast 12-19-2012 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by m0ore4ustin391 (Post 6845576)
GM has a lot of recalls on these cars, whatever you do get a warrenty unless you know someone who has a lift and can work on FWD cars.

Warranty has nothing to do with recalls.

SSlobalt 12-19-2012 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltzer (Post 6843870)

This is a good goal and should be pretty safe. Get a Trifecta Stealth tune and run stock boost and 22psi boost as your two boost options. Get a K&N Typhoon and a ZZP catted downpipe. You'll want to buy a ZZP intercooler, too, to really jack up the reliability of the car. That'll be about 1,000 bucks and you're done. Drive the hell out of it.

Nfamous60 12-20-2012 05:36 AM

brought my car with 22k miles on it had full bolt ons already, i hav had no issues besides snapping shift cable Trying to NLS, other then dat man i love my car gud on gas and will whip most other cars ass. get you a cobalt treat it right and it will last......

PS no i didnt try to make that rhyme

SSlobalt 12-20-2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nfamous60 (Post 6846905)
brought my car with 22k miles on it had full bolt ons already, i hav had no issues besides snapping shift cable Trying to NLS, other then dat man i love my car gud on gas and will whip most other cars ass. get you a cobalt treat it right and it will last......

PS no i didnt try to make that rhyme

You're a poet and didn't know it. OH!!!!

AyrtonSenna 12-20-2012 10:46 PM

If you have plans to mod it without spending a lot of money and keep it reliable, then downpipe, intake and tune is the direction you should take. Not expensive, reliable and the car will be a great enjoyable toy

Aleksey 12-21-2012 08:35 AM

Will it get you pussy? Probably not
Is it fast? Yes
Is it cheap? Yes
Is it as good quality build as import cars at 2x the price? No
Why did I buy mine? Because racecar

Nfamous60 12-21-2012 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Aleksey (Post 6848474)
Will it get you pussy? Probably not
Is it fast? Yes
Is it cheap? Yes
Is it as good quality build as import cars at 2x the price? No
Why did I buy mine? Because racecar

beg to differ. a yellow SS sedan will get you pussy lol
cheap: Most def
Fast: depends on your mods but you will scare yourself
why i brought mine? Price was right and i knew the previous owner

SSlobalt 12-21-2012 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Nfamous60 (Post 6848497)
beg to differ. a yellow SS sedan will get you pussy lol
cheap: Most def
Fast: depends on your mods but you will scare yourself
why i brought mine? Price was right and i knew the previous owner

Not the kind of pussy that isn't on "Teen Mom." :lol: