08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

How are the high mileage SS/TC's holding up

Old 02-06-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mechanically: Fine aside from some sensors (MAP, Baro, 02 Sensor 1; all replaced last week) going bad and a cat replacement at 38K (But the cat issue is an LSJ thing).

As far as interior: Replaced shift knob (Would pop off on 1st to 2nd shifts, 3rd to 4th...etc), Replaced ebrake assembly (Twice: First due to brake being unable to hold car, even when adjusted; and the 2nd because the shift boot retaining clip broke), replaced dash trim above glovebox (Dealer broke this), replaced cowl above multifunction switch (Twice: Both dealership fuckups), replaced multifunction switch (When I got the car, the headlights would go off if in high beam mode with left signal on), Replaced steering wheel (Dealer fuckup: scratched leather), Replaced airbag (Another dealer fuckup, they broke the connector pins), Replaced the interior door handles 5 times due to peeling chrome. HVAC motor was replaced before I bought the car. EPS motor replaced during the recall (Wasn't giving me issues, though).

I'm at 60100 miles, btw.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by emiller
The biggest reason for people selling it is that its generally a young person car. After a few years they probably have a better job and can afford something nicer or bigger if they have a new family.
I bought it because all through high school and the first few years after, I was the kid that drove POS's and I always dreamed of having a fast car. So now that I got a better job while in college (I waited a few years to go to college) I financed my first car which was a SS/SC and It was almost paid off, it would have been paid off today infact. I got impatient and traded it in for a SS/TC. Love the speed and stuff, but man was I impulsive. Now 5 years from now, I'll be car payment less. I plan on paying it off sooner, but you get the idea.

Originally Posted by Pentabubs
All in all i do like the car, but so far it's had more issues than both my previous honda civics combined.
I had an integra ls. I bought it with 30k miles, I had so many problems with it. ABS motor draining battery, AC Belt Breaking on highway, alignment would go out in 6 months bad, wouldn't vent to foot face one or the other, front shock went bad after snow storm (not the cars fault), power window failed, and clear coat went out

Last edited by vahdyx; 02-06-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:12 PM

73k on my hhr ss. I have a surging issue that I have been to 2 dealers for and both said that there is nothing wrong with it. and I have an issue with my coolant temp shooting through the roof and the coolant light coming on as this happens my heat turns ice cold. turn the temp to cold and turn the blower off for a couple minutes and all returns to normal. btw it is not overheating just some kind of false reading. dealer told me they don't know what is wrong with. my dealers around here suckass. so i just live with it. im doing a turbo upgrade this summer so it doesn't bother me that much.

The engine is strong, shifting is smooth...and I'm not so easy on my car. Overall I am happy with my car and how it has held up
Old 02-06-2011, 06:15 PM

35k on my 08

Dealer replaced -

Rear rotors and pads at 11k
Steering coloum at 11k
Steering coloum at 20k
Intercooler end tank at 34k

The car had misfire issues for the longest time when tuned but it just turned out to be a simple spark plug change and all is well. The hvac blower motor has a squeak to it but I can live with it. There is a recall for the power steering cutting out at low speed but i've only ever experienced it when backing out of my parking spot...no biggie also. I purchased a factory wideband to replace soon just for maintaince because I run the car pretty hard.

The car is holding up well so far for only costing $20,700. I love having a daily driver that traps 111+ in the 1/4
Old 02-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Banned

no problems on mine......so far.......i will admit tho that i dont winter drive it and it is only drove like one or two days of the week in the summer so im very lucky. I hope my car holds up cause i love it to death and never wanna sell due to it being a lemon
Old 02-06-2011, 06:34 PM

42,102 on my '09 I've had it since 36,000. It makes stupid noises, I need new front tires, (my fault) Has a coolant leak (my fault), when I pull my e-brake only one wheel locks. That's it though. I love the car. No other problems so far.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:49 AM

I have a 08 SS/TC with Trifecta tune, CP, CAI, catted DP and Exhaust with 39k on the odometer. I still love my car and nothing really wrong with it besides a dent in the rim (Potholes) and my e-brake sticks on most mornings.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:25 AM

50k on mine. Evap valve and broken breather on stock intake fixed by dealer. I replaced rear rotors and pads. Other than that it's rock solid. Love this car!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:31 AM

What's an evap valve and how do you know it's bad. Seems like a common occurrence
Old 02-08-2011, 11:33 AM

39k, only replaced front rotors, resurfaced the rears, and got new pads. Also had to replace rear 02 sensor, and spark plugs but that's mainly due to being tuned for 36k miles. I love this car!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by vahdyx
What's an evap valve and how do you know it's bad. Seems like a common occurrence
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l...py-lnf-207984/
Old 02-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pentabubs
i'm at 28k and had to replace the rear rotors/brakes because of the known caliper pin issue, it was NOT fully covered under warranty, they made me pay $108 out of the $324 total.... All 4 tpms sensors have needed to be replaced. PCV valve on the intake was broken off (caused significant boost loss that i didn't notice for awhile) and they ended up replacing the entire intake housing under warranty. The paint has small rust particles in it due to "rail dust" settling on the car when they were shipped from factory, the dealer won't do anything about it. And lastly i had to bring it in for the power steering recall.

All in all i do like the car, but so far it's had more issues than both my previous honda civics combined.
And were those Civics Si models?? I'm guessing not.

You have to compare apples with apples, more features and more options means more posible things to go wrong.

The Si's have a quite a list of issues, especially with their clutches and transmissions.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:48 PM

29,500 miles on my 09 turbo. at around 11k I had the brakes resurfaced, and at 25k I had the motor replaced (bad casting of the block) everything has been covered. I have had some engine surging in the beginning, and after the motor was replaced I had a crooked streering wheel, and my brakes were pulsing under certain braking, I complained and the dealership told me they couldn't reproduce the problems, and they fixed the crooked steering wheel. The engine surging, and brakes pulsing fixed themselves, so I am happy. So basically I love the car...its great, but the dealerships are *****-ible from my experience.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:59 PM

my lt has 69xxx miles on it and runs strong still!! ive done all the usual maintainance on her so far. its my daily driver for now. no complaints here. my 05 ss has 45xxx miles on it but is far from stock. runs good too so im a happy camper all around!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 05:33 PM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
i have a ls and am hoping to trade it up for a white sstc when i get the money one day. so far ive had to have the seat foam in both front seats bc the bars cut through it, the power steering recall, front rotors replaced twice bc of warping issue, a sensor for passender detection so the air bags work, the e brake adjusted, still have the surging on start up problem. my shocks are leaking. my cd player likes to fast forward cd's ramdomly. just take cd out and back in and its all good. even with these problems i still love my car and seeing yalls with the sstc doesnt make me not want one myself at all. i just turned over 40,000 mi this week
Old 02-09-2011, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Iam Broke
Mine was made in late July '08, I think they were released around Apr/May '08.
Yeah I got one of the first ones in Alberta, It landed off the truck 2 days before i picked it up. That was in June 2008. Now I know the US woulda got it sooner but thats roughly the time they came out heh.

My SS/TC has 50,000 kms on it now. I drive mine through the winter, year round. I've JUST replaced the front pads, the rear pads im on my 3rd set (1 set worn, 1 set still had half, but i replaced with Hawk hps for the third set). Rear rotors needed lubrication right outta the factory (but most of you knew that already). Some rattles, 1 in the passenger seat belt adjuster. The sunroof squeaks if you don't lubricate it regularly (every couple months).

Had one issue with the check engine light coming on. It was a Misfire on Cylinder 3 (P0303). I kept taking it back to dealers for almost a year before they figured it out. It only misfired on initial startup and very rarely. I would clear the code and it might come back the next morning, sometimes it wouldn't come back on for a week. They checked the plug wires, switched coil packs around, did a compression test, the works. Then finally they figured the most likely issue was a valve was sticking, so they did some sort fuel system or intake clean on it that was supposed to be very thorough. The good news was it seems to have worked. Its been more than a month and no light.

Oh and lastly (this may be my own doing) during a track day a pivot on the transmission connected to the shifter linkage broke. Fortunately after a $200 tow bill, it was covered under warranty. I was using the "No-Lift Shift" and in my haste i would on occasion miss and hit in between 1st and 3rd when shifting to 3rd. So while I'm inclined to believe that it was my own doing that it broke, I don't believe it should have broken so easy.

As for the Mileage. When I first got the car I was able to get like 6L/100km (or roughly 40 mpg) on the highway and about 10L/100km(rougly 30 mpg) in town if i drove it respectable like (that almost never happened XD lol). Now it seems the mileage has dropped a bit. The other day I did and average and it seemed to get 8L/100km on the highway. mind you it was winter and that apparently affects the milage so I will see this summer.

That was a bit long winded but there was alot that happened with my car lol.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by PyroSiege
Oh and lastly (this may be my own doing) during a track day a pivot on the transmission connected to the shifter linkage broke. Fortunately after a $200 tow bill, it was covered under warranty. I was using the "No-Lift Shift" and in my haste i would on occasion miss and hit in between 1st and 3rd when shifting to 3rd. So while I'm inclined to believe that it was my own doing that it broke, I don't believe it should have broken so easy.
This happens to me too, I hope (could have the wrong impression here) my TWM STS base bushing will help with that. I assume the flex of the rubber bushings cause us to miss the gear... Just a thought I guess. I have the clamp so I shouldn't break shift linkage. My mods are geared towards removing the plastic or weak parts of the car. Hope this adds to reliability

Last edited by vahdyx; 02-09-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't have a lot of mileage on mine (14.5K) but it is a first-run '08. I'm still 100% stock, too. I had rear brake issues and an oil leak at the cam endplate. That's it.

My wife has an '06 Civic Si that used to be mine. It has 70K miles on it and has been through a clutch, two transmissions (3rd gear synchro issues), a clutch master cylinder, a driver's side window track and window, and a factory subwoofer. All cars are pretty much the same nowadays, when you're talking about the sub-25K range.

I am pretty old and have owned many different cars. This car is one of my favorites, and although I thought I would buy it and play with it for a year, then sell it, I find myself still loving every day with it. I'm almost out of warranty, but I think I'll still keep this car. It's just fun to drive and it has the best paint job of any car I've ever owned. No, I'm not kidding. The paint on this car is absolutely beautiful.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:19 AM

well i have had a couple of map's replaced then just went 3bar had the high presure fuel pump replaced, did the brakes front and back, and on monday all 4 coil packs are getting done i have 54K on my car most of its been under warrenty well atlest the expensive ****
Old 02-12-2011, 09:52 AM

i have a 2008 with 28,XXX
Old 02-12-2011, 09:58 AM

Im at 50,000 my car is an 09, Ive gone through lots of broken ****. Mostly the problems caused have been by me breaking ****. Like everyone else I had initial brake issues but ever since i fixed em the first time theyve been fine.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:16 AM

Mines not old but 2010 SS. 8 months old, 16k miles. Sunroof is being replaced next week, my syncro need to be fixed, rear pads need to be replaced, front right caliper is ceased, intake replaced since vacuum nipple broke off, driver door tweeter is blown, and as of 2 days ago some crazyy ratle in my center console under my e-brake. I used to run my car hard all the.time but the past month i been barely even hitting boost unless im with my friends having a mini meet. Do i hate my car? Hell no. Do i wanna vet rid of it soon? Not even close.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by vahdyx
This happens to me too, I hope (could have the wrong impression here) my TWM STS base bushing will help with that. I assume the flex of the rubber bushings cause us to miss the gear... Just a thought I guess. I have the clamp so I shouldn't break shift linkage. My mods are geared towards removing the plastic or weak parts of the car. Hope this adds to reliability
Yeah, I really like to race my car, so if there is anything I can do to make it tougher when it comes to stuff like that, I would love some info on it. Like what is that bushing you were talking about? And would a short shifter kit come with parts to help keep shifts crisper and preventing them from damaging linkage parts?
Old 02-14-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle4236
Mines not old but 2010 SS. 8 months old, 16k miles. Sunroof is being replaced next week, my syncro need to be fixed, rear pads need to be replaced, front right caliper is ceased, intake replaced since vacuum nipple broke off, driver door tweeter is blown, and as of 2 days ago some crazyy ratle in my center console under my e-brake. I used to run my car hard all the.time but the past month i been barely even hitting boost unless im with my friends having a mini meet. Do i hate my car? Hell no. Do i wanna vet rid of it soon? Not even close.
Man, I'm sorry to hear that. Thats some bad luck. But that nipple on the intake that broke, that happened to me too. Stupid GM wouldn't replace it under warranty (Its not something that should break so F***ing replace it under warranty you cheap bastards! haha). Instead of paying like $144 bucks for the replacement intake i just bought an Injen Intake for it.

The same thing happened to me with the rear brakes too... Actually i think almost everyones's SS/TC had that issue. The solution, i guess, is just lube the back calipers as soon as you get the bloody thing. That woulda been some nice info when I bought the Car =\

In my opinion these cars are awesome. We just need to work out the kinks (hopefully under warranty), and we can go back to being proud owners of a car that had a Nurburgring record! (I say "had" because the Renault Mégane RS R26.R stole the record about a year after. But It doesn't even have a radio, and it has plastic windows!!)
Old 02-14-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by PyroSiege
Man, I'm sorry to hear that. Thats some bad luck. But that nipple on the intake that broke, that happened to me too. Stupid GM wouldn't replace it under warranty (Its not something that should break so F***ing replace it under warranty you cheap bastards! haha). Instead of paying like $144 bucks for the replacement intake i just bought an Injen Intake for it.

The same thing happened to me with the rear brakes too... Actually i think almost everyones's SS/TC had that issue. The solution, i guess, is just lube the back calipers as soon as you get the bloody thing. That woulda been some nice info when I bought the Car =\

In my opinion these cars are awesome. We just need to work out the kinks (hopefully under warranty), and we can go back to being proud owners of a car that had a Nurburgring record! (I say "had" because the Renault Mégane RS R26.R stole the record about a year after. But It doesn't even have a radio, and it has plastic windows!!)
so far everything thats been fixed was fixed under warranty. i dont mind since i know at the end of the day all of it can be easily fixed. when the intake broke i told them basically exactly what you said that it shouldn't break and they warrantied it this time but said next time i'd have to pay for it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How are the high mileage SS/TC's holding up