08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

How are the high mileage SS/TC's holding up

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kyle4236
so far everything thats been fixed was fixed under warranty. i dont mind since i know at the end of the day all of it can be easily fixed. when the intake broke i told them basically exactly what you said that it shouldn't break and they warrantied it this time but said next time i'd have to pay for it
Well thats good. Yeah I coulda taken it to another dealer and probably fought that it should be under warranty, but I just saw it as an excuse to upgrade the whole intake lol.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:06 AM
QUEEF-NUGGETS

I just bought a Vic. Red ss/tc with 45k miles on it.so far I know it needs alignment,changing the rear pads and rotors.it's a 08 btw
Old 02-28-2011, 09:40 PM

i bought an 09 with 28k on it about two months ago has just over 30k now. gotta get it to dealer while warranty is still good. Have water in the trunk and dripping from the little "airbag" button on the A pillar when it rains pretty hard. it pulls to the left. rear brakes make a flop flop flop sound occasionally. when its freezing out the driver's side door makes contact with the front fender, leaving the paint chipped at that spot. !!! Lastly, the steering recall needs addressed.

But considering how FUN the car is to drive daily and it gets 28MPG without a fight I'll prolly keep it till its ready for the junkyard, which is hopefully a LONG time from now. Will make a great college car when I go back next fall.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by davesslobalt
i bought an 09 with 28k on it about two months ago has just over 30k now. gotta get it to dealer while warranty is still good. Have water in the trunk and dripping from the little "airbag" button on the A pillar when it rains pretty hard. it pulls to the left. rear brakes make a flop flop flop sound occasionally. when its freezing out the driver's side door makes contact with the front fender, leaving the paint chipped at that spot. !!! Lastly, the steering recall needs addressed.

But considering how FUN the car is to drive daily and it gets 28MPG without a fight I'll prolly keep it till its ready for the junkyard, which is hopefully a LONG time from now. Will make a great college car when I go back next fall.
not to be an ass but your car has either been in an accident or hopefully just a clogged sun roof drain.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 SS/TC
69,718 miles

Here's all that ever went wrong if I don't miss anything. It's a lot to remember.

Battery
ESC (replaced the body module I believe, I can't quite remember. Replaced a brake valve as well)
Passenger Air bag seat sensor
Coil Pack
Rear brakes (new pads, resurfaced rotors)
intake (the breather fitting broke. Bought a K&N intake)
Purge Valve Solenoid
TPM sensor
Rear O2 sensor
Front Sway bar end links
Drivers side headlamp
MAF sensor wiring (twice)

I THINK that's it.... Hmmm...
Old 03-01-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by 09xfebalt
not to be an ass but your car has either been in an accident or hopefully just a clogged sun roof drain.
I was thinkin the same thing myself. the rear quarter panel is a little bit hazy looking in the sun. I think it was tagged in the rear/side. hopefully the water is just the sunroof drain.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

Are you sure that car didn't take a hit sometime before you bought it ? Your one of the only people I've heard complain about the door making contact with the fender . Usually that gap is almost too large and look awful cause it's so big on some cars . The water almost sounds like an gap issue where weather stripping might not be making a seal due to gap issues from a collision .

I could be completely wrong but I would look it over close or have a body shop look at it for you .

EDIT
lol i guess i should have kept reading but i quoted your post as soon as i got done reading it ...... seems like we are all thinking the same thing
Old 03-01-2011, 09:58 PM

My drivers door does the same thing when it's colder that 25* outside.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by AndrewSS/TC
My drivers door does the same thing when it's colder that 25* outside.
Glad to know I'm not alone.
However, I did call the dealership and told them about what was going on with the car and told them to dig deeper with the previous owner. They returned my call about 2 hours later and said it was indeed in a minor parking lot accident that required some paintwork on the rear quarter and that was it. But I know better than to believe the stealership on that one.

Sucks because there is NOTHING I can do about it now!!

My aplologies to the OP, kinda highjacked your thread.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:19 PM
svt

09 with 45k on it...
only thing I've changed (besides the recall work) was the rear brakes... pads and rotors at ~20k.
The TPM sensor is starting to go, as I get warnings from it every now and then.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by ATLsilverSS
73k on my hhr ss. I have a surging issue that I have been to 2 dealers for and both said that there is nothing wrong with it. and I have an issue with my coolant temp shooting through the roof and the coolant light coming on as this happens my heat turns ice cold. turn the temp to cold and turn the blower off for a couple minutes and all returns to normal. btw it is not overheating just some kind of false reading. dealer told me they don't know what is wrong with. my dealers around here suckass. so i just live with it. im doing a turbo upgrade this summer so it doesn't bother me that much.

The engine is strong, shifting is smooth...and I'm not so easy on my car. Overall I am happy with my car and how it has held up
I know it's been over a year since this was posted but if you haven't fixed it yet, it sounds like an air pocket in the heater core. Some hhrs and s10s were bad about it.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:33 AM

the majority of the owners on hear sounds like they beat the **** out of their cars so it's normal to have lots of problems. Proper maintenance and not driving it like you stole it will make this car last a long time.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:36 AM

well i got 68900 now, had trans replaced back at 52k and just recently had new front brembos pins were stuck. just put the GMS 1 on. no major problems so far
Old 03-10-2012, 09:48 AM

A trans going bad at 50k isn't major?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:17 AM

I have a 2007 s/c with 71K and I have had to Replace the Purge Solinoid, Bosch Intercooler Pump, Rear Brake Caliper, Control Arm(Suspension), Stock Clutch and I had to do all this within 1 year but I do drive a lot(Approx 20K a year), Thank God I had a Extended Warranty that covered ALL that Stuff exept the clutch(No warranty will cover a clutch) and Luckily I work at a dealership and they just push the repairs/Warranty claims through even tho I have Moderatley Modded car.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
61k and no major problem.
Adjust the sunroof the 1st winter cause it was whistling (never leaked) warranty
Replace rear pads and rotors around 22k for grooving on both insides (even wear) warranty
Tuned around 35-40k never had a problem
Sunroof needs adjusting every year or so because it starts to rattle as it hits the sunroof frame and bounces after awhile
Old 03-10-2012, 12:38 PM

2010 SS/TC

Purchased brand new with under 10 miles on it, currently has about 50K.

Two issues:
Rear Brakes - the ususal pad wear problem, lubed the slide pins and replaced the pads
Passenger door handle - got stuck and would not open the door from inside or outside

Other than that, the car has been excellent. "knock on wood"

One last item is i dont think the clear coat is the best. I do a lot of Hwy driving, and have a ton of little rock chips. Will be getting fixed soon though.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:43 PM

2009 50,000 miles, tuned for about 35,000 and the car runs great. A clip holding the shift linkage brole in the first 15 miles I drove it so obviously a faulty part, the rear brakes grooved very fast but, i track the car alot so i just replaced them and theyve been good ever since. Only other problem was a purge evap solenoid that was replaced under warranty. Now i need to take my car in for the recall on the ebrake. In total i love the car and am glad i bought it.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by daregooch
2009 50,000 miles, tuned for about 35,000 and the car runs great. A clip holding the shift linkage brole in the first 15 miles I drove it so obviously a faulty part, the rear brakes grooved very fast but, i track the car alot so i just replaced them and theyve been good ever since. Only other problem was a purge evap solenoid that was replaced under warranty. Now i need to take my car in for the recall on the ebrake. In total i love the car and am glad i bought it.
What ebrake recall? I dont think Ive heard about it, was it something that came out recently?
Old 03-12-2012, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by BlackhawkSS
2010 SS/TC

Purchased brand new with under 10 miles on it, currently has about 50K.

Two issues:
Rear Brakes - the ususal pad wear problem, lubed the slide pins and replaced the pads
Passenger door handle - got stuck and would not open the door from inside or outside

Other than that, the car has been excellent. "knock on wood"

One last item is i dont think the clear coat is the best. I do a lot of Hwy driving, and have a ton of little rock chips. Will be getting fixed soon though.
I'm so glad to hear that apart from the brake ware and passenger door handle you've had a great experience in your Cobalt!
Many more happy miles,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 03-12-2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by 80vetteL82
What ebrake recall? I dont think Ive heard about it, was it something that came out recently?
I can look to see if there are any recalls associated to your vehicle if you wanted to send me the last 8 digits of your VIN. Send me a PM, if you like.

Sarah
GM Customer Service
Old 03-12-2012, 02:19 PM

man, there are a lot of us out there. lol. I am currently at 70k on the dot which is ironic, but anyways, this car has been phenomenal. I bought my 09 ss/tc brand new in sept of 08..first one in LA! after just 5 months had the rear brakes replaced completely free of charge. They put new pads rotors and even new calipers lol. at the same time, the window washer motor went out. I even tested it thinking it was clogged but it wasnt. after that i started modding and am pretty much fully bolted with all suspension mods and tires. You name it i got it. My paint still is very nice with the exception of the hood and front bumper. THe interstate has knicked it up pretty rough. My key got stuck in the ignition after about 2.5 years of owning it and they fixed it free of hassle and money. I still have some cel's that pop up like the tpms and service airbag, but im being kinda lazy getting those fixed.
I must say though, for all this car has given me, it has been a pretty cheap and hassle free car. To be honest, the thing that drove me crazy the most was the key getting stuck. That really put me in a bind and pissed me off. But the dealership was very courteous. I have had all bulletins and known problems fixed under warrenty, including but not limited to: plastic end caps for intercooler, rear brakes, power steering pump, key stuck in ignition.
I'm at a cross rodes right now debating if i want to keep it or sell it. I know its not worth a whole bunch anymore, but it means a lot to me and all my friends really love the car.
hope this helps OP and anyone who has s econd to read. I am definitely proof that these cars can be rewarding for many years as long as they are properly maintained and cared for.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
I bought this TC 2 months ago and so far its been a decent car. Ive had to replace the Purge Valve solenoid and all my plugs as they were misfiring.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:50 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Mechanically my car is mint.

Everything works.

But i am starting to notice age. Especially on the interior.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by emiller
61k and no major problem.
Adjust the sunroof the 1st winter cause it was whistling (never leaked) warranty
Replace rear pads and rotors around 22k for grooving on both insides (even wear) warranty
Tuned around 35-40k never had a problem
Sunroof needs adjusting every year or so because it starts to rattle as it hits the sunroof frame and bounces after awhile
Do you adjust the sunroof? Is so, how do it please!

Quick Reply: How are the high mileage SS/TC's holding up